Heresy 244 Big Scaly Beasties with Bad Breath

Black Crow

4 hours ago, Melifeather said:

Black mirrors cannot reflect as the color black absorbs light.

The author has made his rules for how obsidian works in this world. The obsidian can be fashioned into a blade or spear and used to break magic spells as demonstrated by Sam when he stabbed the white walker that Heresy has dubbed Ser Puddles. Where was the black mirror there?

The second way obsidian is used is for scrying through a black candle which needs to be lit. We have yet to learn how they are lit, but we do know it’s not with a match or source of fire. Acolytes spend the night trying to light a black candle so I doubt a campfire would do the trick.

The point about negative temperatures being necessary to shatter Waymar’s sword was to support the fact that “frozen fire” would not be cold enough to shatter steel. In fact, obsidian is so brittle it would stand no chance against steel. Waymar could whack his sword repeatedly against an obsidian mountain and never shatter his sword.

I have to apologize, I’ve learned that I’ve got a few things to learn about etiquette. I’ve learned that I’ve rudely hijacked a thread. I’ll look for a different thread that I’ve started. Sorry!

51 minutes ago, Nadden said:

I have to apologize, I’ve learned that I’ve got a few things to learn about etiquette. I’ve learned that I’ve rudely hijacked a thread. I’ll look for a different thread that I’ve started. Sorry!

You are fine. Heresy is the place to bring alternate theories. We start out each thread with a subject, but we inevitably wander down tangents. I've been hitting your theory pretty hard with evidence from the text. I hope you aren't taking this personally? I've been very careful to avoid ridicule, because of any of the Heresy members, I'm probably the one that usually presents the most alternate of alternate theories! And that's putting it mildly as I'm sure other members would attest. And I know how frustrating it is when people criticize my ideas simply because they just don't like them or they go against their own, but then don't take the time to point out the reason why something I've presented isn't supported by the text. You have to put your ideas out there and test them against the text. Unfortunately, I think I've found quite a few holes in your black mirror theory, but I hope you've been able to look at it more objectively?

We are on a next to last Heresy thread, but that's okay, because it hasn't been locked yet. You can look for Heresy 245 and continue this discussion there if you'd like?

Archived