Jump to content

Heresy 244 Big Scaly Beasties with Bad Breath


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Melifeather said:

How angry men would be if the tables were turned and females were given primogeniture! Men would rather garner support behind a 2-year old Aegon II rather than a fully grown Rhaenyra for the sole reason that he is male. 

The Dream of Spring is the return of the goddess and making women equal to men in all things. THAT is what would bring true balance into the world.

What if we exchanged "female divine" for "Children of the Forest"?

Maester Luwin: 

The female divine is gone from this world, and their wisdom with them.

 

Bran and Leaf's exchange regarding the long dwindling of the Children:

Bran:  Where is the female divine?

Leaf:  Gone down into the earth … Into the stones, into the trees. Before the First Men came all this land that you call Westeros was home to the female divine, yet even in those days we were few. The gods gave us long lives but not great numbers, lest we overrun the world as deer will overrun a wood where there are no wolves to hunt them. That was in the dawn of days, when our sun was rising. Now it sinks, and this is our long dwindling. The giants are almost gone as well, they who were our bane and our brothers. The great lions of the western hills have been slain, the unicorns are all but gone, the mammoths down to a few hundred. The direwolves will outlast us all, but their time will come as well. In the world that men have made, there is no room for them, or us.

Bran thinks to himself: Men would not be sad. Men would be wroth. Men would hate and swear a bloody vengeance. The singers sings sad songs, where men would fight and kill.

Edited by Melifeather
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, alienarea said:

I sense a new trend ...

transgender Targaryens

Actually @alienarea and it's not well known, the genealogy of the "trandsgenderless" Targayren family name was.....Kardashain.

Also to add...I think they originally came from Asshai.B)

Edited by Mace Cooterian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alienarea said:

Yes, I still refuse to watch HotD.

Watched  Westworld, though.

I have only seen season one of Westworld.  But now that I have cable; it's on my watch list.  Also liked Witcher and Wheel of Time.  Are you watching Rings of Power?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LynnS said:

I have only seen season one of Westworld.  But now that I have cable; it's on my watch list.  Also liked Witcher and Wheel of Time.  Are you watching Rings of Power?

Not sure I have Rings of Power. I'm in Germany and have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Also working on a new record on top of my full-time job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alienarea said:

Not sure I have Rings of Power. I'm in Germany and have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Also working on a new record on top of my full-time job.

Rings of Power is on Amazon. So is Wheel of Time.

Edited by Melifeather
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought they did a wonderful job with House of the Dragon.  Fire and Blood provides a skeleton for the story, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the novels, but the actors really bring the characters to life.  So much better than the last few seasons of A Game of Who Cares how this ends we all just want to wrap it up and move on. 

Edited by Brad Stark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Melifeather said:

If you set aside what you remember about Rhaenyra and Daemon, the show is very good. My favorite character so far is actually King Viserys. 

Rhaenyra and Daemon are very much how I pictured them in Fire and Blood.   Alicent is very different, and I don't like the changes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Melifeather said:

My favorite character so far is actually King Viserys. 

Mine too, Paddy Considine is doing an excellent job.

I'm enjoying the show a lot more than I thought I would, although I think it has way too much expository dialogue, and most of the secondary and tertiary characters feel pretty insubstantial--as though they only exist within the world to occasionally deliver the aforementioned expository dialogue.

However, I put a lot of the blame for those issues on the source material, rather than the show writers; GRRM has entered this phase where he's treading closer to being a "content creator" than a novelist, churning out books that are heavy on world building and plot points, but lacking the approach to prose, characterization, and narrative that made ASOIAF and Dunk and Egg engrossing.

Edited by Matthew.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matthew. said:

Mine too, Paddy Considine is doing an excellent job.

I'm enjoying the show a lot more than I thought I would, although I think it has way too much expository dialogue, and most of the secondary and tertiary characters feel pretty insubstantial--as though they only exist within the world to occasionally deliver the aforementioned expository dialogue.

However, I put a lot of the blame for those issues on the source material, rather than the show writers; GRRM has entered this phase where he's treading closer to being a "content creator" than a novelist, churning out books that are heavy on world building and plot points, but lacking the approach to prose, characterization, and narrative that made ASOIAF and Dunk and Egg engrossing.

The show is actually taking GRRM's material seriously.  As opposed to the "abomination" which devolved into Jon Dany shipping fan fiction, and endless Podrick Payne dick jokes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2022 at 12:21 PM, alienarea said:

I sense a new thread ...

transgender Targaryens

There. Fixed it for you.

On 9/14/2022 at 7:16 PM, LynnS said:

OK, but are you still refusing to watch HotD on principle?

It's hot, Hot, HOT!

 

Haha brilliant. I still find myself mimicking this scene from the movie almost 25 years later. You have good tastes. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 1:39 PM, Precioushobbits said:

I still find myself mimicking this scene from the movie almost 25 years later.

How can anyone forget Chris Tucker as Ruby Rhod? It's an hilarious invention.  There can never be too much comedy.

Aegon's dagger - does Littlefinger still have it?  I wonder if it will end up in Sansa's possession.

Quote

 

A Storm of Swords - Arya VIII

"I dreamt a wolf howling in the rain, but no one heard his grief," the dwarf woman was saying. "I dreamt such a clangor I thought my head might burst, drums and horns and pipes and screams, but the saddest sound was the little bells. I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow." She turned her head sharply and smiled through the gloom, right at Arya. "You cannot hide from me, child. Come closer, now."

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, LynnS said:

How can anyone forget Chris Tucker as Ruby Rhod? It's an hilarious invention.  There can never be too much comedy.

Aegon's dagger - does Littlefinger still have it?  I wonder if it will end up in Sansa's possession.

 

HofD is making a little fuss about this blade and the HBO version of AGoT used the same blade and had Bran give it to Arya. It might be an indication that it will show up in the books...at least I don't recall reading about such a blade that reveals words when heated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Melifeather said:

HofD is making a little fuss about this blade and the HBO version of AGoT used the same blade and had Bran give it to Arya. It might be an indication that it will show up in the books...at least I don't recall reading about such a blade that reveals words when heated.

It's the same prop, apparently.  Surely Ryan Condan knows how it was used in both the book and the show.  Bookwise, I'd say Robert ended up with it as part of the Targaryen property after the Rebellion.  Which is how Joffrey ended up with it.  I doubt it was ever Tyrion's property or Littlefinger's property.  Although, he took advantage of everyone's ignorance to claim it for himself.  He's the last person in the chain of custody.  Sansa getting her hands on it could be something GRRM decides to write into the books.

Not sure if the castle made of snow is Winterfell or the second waycastle (called Snow) at the Eyrie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...