[Spoilers] Episode 103 Discussion

Ran

4 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

What is the scene where Rhaenyra sees the white hart supposed to mean? That she's the rightful heir?

The white hart running away from her could also be seen as a symbol of rejection, foreshadowing how the she'll end up getting cut by the iron throne which many noblemen will interpret as her being rejected by the throne.

51 minutes ago, Cashless Society said:

The white hart running away from her could also be seen as a symbol of rejection, foreshadowing how the she'll end up getting cut by the iron throne which many noblemen will interpret as her being rejected by the throne.

I mean, the hart had to run away sooner or later.

6 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

What is the scene where Rhaenyra sees the white hart supposed to mean? That she's the rightful heir?

To establish Rhaenyra as Dany 2.0 so that all the fangirls will buy her merchandise and then be really angry when she gets fed to her brother’s dragon.

11 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

To establish Rhaenyra as Dany 2.0 so that all the fangirls will buy her merchandise and then be really angry when she gets fed to her brother’s dragon.

I wonder if the show is going to change the way she died (as in: making her death more little bit more 'clean' and not so gruesome). It would not the first change they writers make concerning canon.

6 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Yes.

I'm really appreciating how hard they're going on for the Blacks here. Kudos, HBO.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

19 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Yes.

I'm really appreciating how hard they're going on for the Blacks here. Kudos, HBO.

Tbf, the Dance isn't a  conflict when there isn't a side clearly worse than the other. 

I mean if at least it had been the Blacks drawing the first blood. But even in that Martin had to depict the Greens in worse light.

The funny thing is, I think that Rhaenyra sparing the hart may have been the first time she’s shown any concern for anyone other than herself. And I’m thinking that’s intentional, judging by Alicent’s line from the trailer (“Where is duty? Where is sacrifice?”).

Just now, frenin said:

Tbf, the Dance isn't a  conflict when there isn't a side clearly worse than the other. 

I mean if at least it had been the Blacks drawing the first blood. But even in that Martin had to depict the Greens in worse light.

Yeah, I really think people are stretching the truth (including George) when they say that both sides were equally bad. The blacks were clearly the righteous faction.

7 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Certainly seems to be the implication to me.  But as mentioned I don't think it's likely to land too hard - other than devotees most probably aren't gonna remember it in a few weeks.

45 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Yeah, I really think people are stretching the truth (including George) when they say that both sides were equally bad. The blacks were clearly the righteous faction.

I wonder if George changed his mind when HBO clearly wanted a good guy.

6 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I wonder if George changed his mind when HBO clearly wanted a good guy.

Maybe, but it might just be George being influenced by the changing times. Grimdark isn’t as fresh anymore, and the renewed focus on female empowerment has probably effected us all subconsciously.

10 minutes ago, Cashless Society said:

Perhaps they don't want to villainize the Green's too much by having a sympathetic character be part of their faction, similar to Tyrion or Davos in the early seasons.

Given the way the older actress talks about her role and Cersei Lannister I think we're going to see Alicent go from being a sweet and otherwise normal young woman to a complete nutjob. The events triggering this being Aemond's blinding and her isolation at court.

Possibly the fact her children are psychopathic entitled little shits too.

Rhaenyra spared Alicent but she also DOES kill her father.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

4 hours ago, Cashless Society said:

Considering Viserys cuts himself on the throne all the time, I doubt we'll get the 'Rhaenyra cutting herself means the throne rejects her' routine in the show. Either she won't cut herself at all, or the cutting thing will symbolize something else, like it does with Viserys - in his case that's clearly some kind of inner rot, foreshadowing he himself and his family being at odds with themselves. Like Rhaenyra said in the prologue - the House of the Dragon destroying itself.

3 hours ago, zajaz said:

I wonder if the show is going to change the way she died (as in: making her death more little bit more 'clean' and not so gruesome). It would not the first change they writers make concerning canon.

Thinking about that - if they were to change things they could make Rhaenyra and Aegon the Younger both prisoners of Aegon II on Dragonstone, with Rhaenyra only been killed in the wake of the Battle of the Kingsroad going bad for the Greens, and Aegon II's murder being no clandestine poisoning but rather the result of some kind ad hoc battle in the castle following the murder of Rhaenyra and the subsequent intention to also murder Aegon the Younger.

If they want to keep the 'iconic' death-by-dragon scene for Rhaenyra they could easily enough have Aegon II move a dying Sunfyre from Dragonstone to the Red Keep, so Rhaenyra could be fed to him there ... it could have the additional symbolism that Sunfyre and Aegon II die - or are killed - more or less at the times.

The advantage of that is clear - Emma D'Arcy would remain in the show until near the very end, and there could be more scenes with Alicent and Rhaenyra together at the end, with yet again reversed roles (Rhaenyra in chains and Alicent in charge).

It would also turn Rhaenyra's death into more a last straw thing/dick move in light of certain defeat, rather than the petty and pointless thing it is in the book.

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

In any case, I still stand by my opinion that Daemon comes across as much more likable on the show than he does in F&B.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

4 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

In any case, I still stand by my opinion that Daemon comes across as much more likable on the show than he does in F&B.

Yeah, in the books he starts pursuing Rhaenyra purely because he wants the throne and has to go through her to get it. Here his motivation is to have Viserys’ complete trust and love.

1 hour ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Given the way the older actress talks about her role and Cersei Lannister I think we're going to see Alicent go from being a sweet and otherwise normal young woman to a complete nutjob. The events triggering this being Aemond's blinding and her isolation at court.

Possibly the fact her children are psychopathic entitled little shits too.

Rhaenyra spared Alicent but she also DOES kill her father.

Well Rhaenyra is already a nut job in the show. She skirts her studies, is rude and entitled, yet demands a throne she herself is not willing to put the effort into proving she is worthy of. 

They can throw together as many SLAY QWEEN! scenes with Rhaenyra as they want, she is still spoiled trash on the verge of losing her mind. 

47 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Yeah, in the books he starts pursuing Rhaenyra purely because he wants the throne and has to go through her to get it. Here his motivation is to have Viserys’ complete trust and love.

It is the interpretation of Gyldayn and the sources that he covets the throne, but if he actually wants the throne is kind of up in the air. He never does anything to actually seize it.

An ugly reading of his relationship to Rhaenyra is that she was just a means to get closer to the throne - just as his marriage to Laena may have just been a means to stop his descent - but that's not actually confirmed, either.

The Laena marriage resulted in exile, and he apparently was already close to Rhaenyra while he was still the presumptive heir.

Upon his return in 111 AC a cynical view would be he wanted to get into her pants to be the prince or king consort at her side ... or perhaps he really just had the hots for his fourteen-year-old niece and thought he was the guy ideally suited to protect and defend her and her claim.