Jump to content

Rings of Power: Three Threads for the Elven Lords (book spoilers)


Werthead
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, DMC said:

It's entirely premature to think at least some aspect of this won't happen.  As @The Marquis de Leech mentioned, I think it works from a POV standpoint that Galadriel ends up in Numenor at the end of episode 2.  That doesn't preclude her from eventually coming back and doing exactly what you said.  Maybe not - even probably not - but your assumption that she definitely won't betrays your own bias.

DMC -- possibly; how long do you think it would take her to swim there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's entirely premature to think at least some aspect of this won't happen.  As @The Marquis de Leech mentioned, I think it works from a POV standpoint that Galadriel ends up in Numenor at the end of episode 2.  That doesn't preclude her from eventually coming back and doing exactly what you said.  Maybe not - even probably not - but your assumption that she definitely won't betrays your own bias.

Well

a.) I can only make judgements from the information I have gotten and and none of them mention Galadriel in Eregion this season. On the contrary: It seems like she and Miriel are going to lead an army to assist the "Southlands" against "Adar" and his orcs. Furthermore considering her current actions it seems unlikely that she would settle down in Eregion. I am not going to give the show the benefit of the doubt that they might eventually come arround to fixing her character

b.) It would still mean that they messed up her character and wasted season 1 on filler. If you can tell Tolkien's story in just 4 seasons, then you should do so. I mean the show has already wasted time with Galadriel not going to Valinor and deciding to jump ship when she could have just sailed to Numenor to begin with and picked up Halbrand on the way.

Edited by ASOIAFrelatedusername
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

I am not going to give the show the benefit of the doubt that they might eventually come arround to fixing her character

K, that's my point.  Fair enough that you admit you're not giving them the benefit of the doubt.  I am.  Honestly I didn't even know Miriel is going to be in the show, so you've clearly invested more into hating it than I can fathom.

4 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

It would still mean that they messed up her character and wasted season 1 on filler.

"Filler" is 100% subjective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

Well instead of having Galadriel running arround everywhere looking for Sauron, how about we place her in Eregion, where her faction clashes with Celebrimbor's over the Annatar issue? Flesh out the political and inter-personal drama there and add in the dwarves of Moria.

If they can not tell the story properly with the rights you have at your disposal, then they should have chosen another time period to adapt. I am not cutting them any slack with regards to that.

They are not telling the Silmarillion, at least not directly, but much of what you have requested is being set up.

TROP is meant to be family friendly, accessible for those not steeped in the lore  with only nods to  it, as well as the Peter Jackson films.  It is understandable if it’s not to your liking.

I was and am still pissed off about the deletion of Lady Stoneheart, Alleras, FAegon, and other aspects of the ASOIAF’s lore being mishandled or not present in GoT HBO.

Edited by TheReal_Rebel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, DMC said:

K, that's my point.  Fair enough that you admit you're not giving them the benefit of the doubt.  I am.  Honestly I didn't even know Miriel is going to be in the show, so you've clearly invested more into hating it than I can fathom.

Tell me why should I give them the benefit of the doubt?

48 minutes ago, DMC said:

"Filler" is 100% subjective.

It is not more subjective than any other critique of bad writing

14 minutes ago, TheReal_Rebel said:

They are not telling the Silmarillion, at least not directly, but much of what you have requested is being set up.

Where? The very fact that way are discussing who Sauron shows that the show is not going to adapt the Annatar plotline from Tolkien.

17 minutes ago, TheReal_Rebel said:

TROP is meant to be family friendly, accessible for those not steeped in the lore  with only nods to  it, as well as the Peter Jackson films.  It is understandable if it’s not to your liking.

Explain to me how actually adapting Tolkien is so impossible for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

Tell me why should I give them the benefit of the doubt?

Tell me why I shouldn't.

3 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

It is not more subjective than any other critique of bad writing

Galadriel jumping off the ship is idiotic writing, granted.  The rest of her story in the first two eps makes sense to me.  I get it doesn't for you, obviously, but that's why it's 100% subjective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

Tell me why should I give them the benefit of the doubt?

It is not more subjective than any other critique of bad writing

Where? The very fact that way are discussing who Sauron shows that the show is not going to adapt the Annatar plotline from Tolkien.

Explain to me how actually adapting Tolkien is so impossible for them.

1)It does not preclude them at all from setting up the Annatar plot line.  The fact they set up Eregion and introduced Celebrimbor demonstrates to me they are doing it.  May not see it this season.

2) They are Limited by Copyright to whatever their lawyers and Simon Tolkien says they can adapt.

Edited by TheReal_Rebel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

He doesn't break that Harfoot's foot.  The scene of Elanor's dad's foot breaking is intercut with Elanor trying to help the Stranger to emphasize that Elanor wasn't around to help her dad, and he got hurt.  And while Gandalf's magic powers are never clearly well defined nothing in canon suggests he can break a random foot a mile away.  

That reading of the scene kind of baffles me to be honest, although I'm willing to entertain it as plausible. However, I think the case for the reading you put forward is lowered by other signs (the eye symbolism and especially the dead fireflies) that point to him being evil.

In other words, in isolation I could see your reading (although I agree with @polishgenius that it seems poorly put together if that was the intent) but I'm seeing a chain of evidence that points to evil doing in my book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

Tell me why I shouldn't.

You are free to give them the benefit of the doubt. However "they might eventually get arround to it" does not work as a response to criticism of the current state of affairs.

29 minutes ago, DMC said:

Galadriel jumping off the ship is idiotic writing, granted.  The rest of her story in the first two eps makes sense to me.  I get it doesn't for you, obviously, but that's why it's 100% subjective.

It makes sense if you accept that this is not Tolkien, yes. It makes sense if you assume that Gil-galad has the authority to force people to go the Valinor. It makes sense if you accept that this is not Tolkien's Galadriel (any of them). Even if it makes sense it is a waste of time though.

10 minutes ago, TheReal_Rebel said:

)It does not preclude them at all from setting up the Annatar plot line.  The fact they set up Eregion and introduced Celebrimbor demonstrates to me they are doing it.  May not see it this season.

It does unless Sauron is neither Halbrand or Meteor Man. The character dynamics and the way Sauron presents himself are going to be totally different. If neither is Sauron, then the show is wasting time especially with the hobbits.

15 minutes ago, TheReal_Rebel said:

2) They are Limited by Copyright to whatever their lawyers and Simon Tolkien says they can adapt.

Their fault for trying to adapt something they do not have enough rights to

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

If they can not tell the story properly with the rights you have at your disposal, then they should have chosen another time period to adapt. I am not cutting them any slack with regards to that.

:agree: Ive been saying for years that the show should be about the south (Harad, Umbar and Rhun) based on this beautiful quote “The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there in peace”. 
If you ask me, which you didn’t and shouldn’t, this should be a semi-sequel that builds on how Aragorn’s Gondor deals with them in the the post-Sauron stage and get rid of that image of being evil servants of Sauron, which they obviously aren’t. 

You can approach the same subject matter through “young” Aragorn’s travels or even through a late second age/early third age lens at the time period of Sauron’s gaining power, so you get to have the elves and dwarves and numenor too but not in the limelight. (If this ever happens in the show later down the line, I will actually tune in)

Edited by RhaenysBee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

You are free to give them the benefit of the doubt. However "they might eventually get arround to it" does not work as a response to criticism of the current state of affairs.

HA!  Nope, it doesn't, which is exactly the point.  You aren't criticizing "current affairs," you're criticizing what will eventually happen.  The fact you can't realize that is quite revealing.

4 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

t makes sense if you accept that this is not Tolkien, yes.

You don't own Tolkien, and you certainly don't own my perspective on an adaptation of his work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, farerb said:

Halbrand ~ Hal Barad = Tall Tower = Sauron. 

So you’re leaning to Halbrand being Sauron?  But jumping in the water and saving Galadriel?  True, he does play the long game.  He could be using Galadriel to check out the Numenoreans and later the Elves?

I guess he did take a risk fighting Huan, though why would he ever think a dog could  beat him?

He was also hitting on Galadriel on the raft. Sauron?  Or Sauron pretending how he thinks a man would behave? 
 

I’m leaning to Halbrand being just a man who had Morgoth allegiances and maybe was a leader/king once.  Why would Orcs attack if he was loyal to Morgoth?  Because in this era some Orcs are running wild on their own after Morgorth’s downfall and Sauron in hiding and are not under control. And Maybe Halbrand isn’t much of a Witch King yet.

Also, he might be Theo’s father. 

Edited by TheReal_Rebel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

HA!  Nope, it doesn't, which is exactly the point.  You aren't criticizing "current affairs," you're criticizing what will eventually happen.  The fact you can't realize that is quite revealing.

I am very much criticizing the current state of affairs. I am criticizing the distinct lack of Annatar. I am criticizing the pointless introduction of mystery wrt Sauron's identity. I am criticizing their version of Galadriel for not resembling Tolkien's.

I also make it clear that, based on the information I do have, I do not see them fixing this nay time soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

I am criticizing the distinct lack of Annatar.

It's ridiculously stupid to complain about Annatar not showing up in the first two episodes of an adaptation.  Consider that my criticism of the current state of affairs.

5 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

I also make it clear that, based on the information I do have, I do not see them fixing this nay time soon.

Well, good for you I guess.  I could give two shits about your special information though, prefer talking about the show as everybody has seen it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...