The Hound vs a Stark Direwolf

Darth Sidious

In GOT, the Hound could have killed the direwolves. He offered to silence one. However, the direwolves (except Sansa’s DW, hers bit the dust) grew.  So who would win in a fight between Sandor and Ghost?  No armor for Sandor, just his sword.

It would be an interesting battle. One that I could look forward to. In my opinion, Sandor would prevail. Letme know if you think differently. 

3 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

A lance is a better weapon against a dire wolf but a sword is good enough. 

Lance would only be good from horseback, else it's too long to use in any kind of close quarters.  The tip is the only dangerous part, and once the opponent gets past the point, it's just an unwieldy stick. Without the weight of a charging horse behind it, its a pretty bad weapon.  

No, what you want is something like a boar spear. But even that is not a guarantee against a dire wolf.

8 hours ago, Bowen Marsh said:

Sandor with a long sword.  The dw can't get close.  Give him a short dagger and it is a more even fight. 

A dire wolf is as long as Sandor is tall, weighs about the same, and can leap several times the length of its own body.  It can also turn on a dime, jump straight up, and move almost as fast as a galloping horse.  I think if anyone wants to duel one they better not try and get fancy with left-handed dagger attacks, and just bring their best game.

But why are we talking about killing wolfs?  That's animal cruelty!  Who hurt you folks, to make you so mean to animals? :-(

32 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

@Reekazoid

You are overestimating those direwolves. I admit to disliking them but I still think you are overestimating them. 

Fine then meet me halfway. Maybe dire wolves can’t fly or shoot frickin’ laser beams from their foreheads, but come on… The Hound would absolutely need his armor and a real sword or spear.  But no lance.

On 9/7/2022 at 4:52 AM, TheLastWolf said:

They fall in love :wub:

This. Why not? His life is built round all things dog - hound helm, dogs on the shield, happy to be called dog and generally thinks dogs are great (will die for you, but never lie to you, and also can smell lies (?)).

Of course he's going to swoon over the direwolves. Not to mention going crazy with curiosity as to how the Starks managed to tame and train them into pets for little children. Nursemaids I think he called them. I bet his kennelmaster grandfather never managed anything like that.

12 hours ago, Springwatch said:

This. Why not? His life is built round all things dog - hound helm, dogs on the shield, happy to be called dog and generally thinks dogs are great (will die for you, but never lie to you, and also can smell lies (?)).

Of course he's going to swoon over the direwolves. Not to mention going crazy with curiosity as to how the Starks managed to tame and train them into pets for little children. Nursemaids I think he called them. I bet his kennelmaster grandfather never managed anything like that.

@Reekazoid is still confused ig

• 4 months later...
On 9/6/2022 at 5:59 PM, Craving Peaches said:

I give it to the Direwolf. The Hound is a good fighter, but without armour the wolf just needs to get a good grip on his sword hand to neutralise him. And the wolves are quite large now. It would be a real challenge for him to take one down. A wolf beats a dog almost every time (in the story).

Symbolically, yeah. Wolf defeats dog. Symbolically. But literally?  

Archived