The role of Aurane Waters and his fleet

What role do you think that Aurane Waters, the bastard of house Velaryon and former master of ships (or rather Grand Admiral, since Cersei preferred that title to master of ships) of Cersei Lannister who chose him because of his ressemblance with Rhaegar Targaryen (one of Cersei's brilliant moves), and who has stolen the royal fleet (made with the money that was supposed to refund the Iron Bank, out of paranoia toward the Redwynes, another brilliant move by Cersei) to become a pirate lord, will have during TWOW and ADOS ? 

When do you think that we will see him and his pirates during these books ? What importance he and his fleet could have for the story ? 

Who do you think will meet him, and who could he associate himself with ?

1 minute ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

What role do you think that Aurane Waters, the bastard of house Velaryon and former master of ships (or rather Grand Admiral, since Cersei preferred that title to master of ships) of Cersei Lannister who chose him because of his ressemblance with Rhaegar Targaryen (one of Cersei's brilliant moves), and who has stolen the royal fleet (made with the money that was supposed to refund the Iron Bank, out of paranoia toward the Redwynes, another brilliant move by Cersei) to become a pirate lord, will have during TWOW and ADOS ? 

When do you think that we will see him and his pirates during these books ? What importance he and his fleet could have for the story ? 

Who do you think will meet him, and who could he associate himself with ?

Well, he definitely won’t go to Cersei, since he screwed her over. There’s a suggestion in Patchface’s prophecy that he might return to Stannis’ cause, but I doubt that. He might turn to Daenerys, but that means potentially clashing with the Iron Fleet. I think he might just go and occupy the Stepstones and be a less flamboyant  Raccallio Ryndoon.

I have a feeling that we've seen the last of Admiral Waters.

For one thing, his "fleet" is not very large.  The battle of the Blackwater reduced it to "fewer than a dozen" ships (AFFC 17); and he asked Cersei for funds to build 10 more.  He chose younger men to captain them, instead of the more experienced "greybeards."

Waters is an oathbreaker and a thief, and his captains know it.  They are all accomplices to his crime, and they know that too.  If he gets into a battle and things go badly, some of those captains will probably take their ships and flee, or perhaps switch sides.

The Stepstones have been the target of many battles and conquests over the centuries.  In the near future, they are likely to be visited by the Redwyne fleet, Euron Greyjoy's fleet, and possibly Victarion and his Iron Fleet bringing Daenerys and her army home.  Some of Sallador Saan's Lyseni pirates are probably out there too, looking for prey.  Things are likely to get messy ...

Hopefully he uses his new fleet to help Asha take back the Iron Islands from Euron. We see in ADWD that she’s quite the eligible bachelorette due to her birth, and Aurane doesn’t have any inheritance thanks to his bastardy. Plus we know she likes pretty Valyrian boys and she can pass off Qarl the Maid’s bastard as his :P

After some time pondering where Aurane Waters might end up in the story, I’m fairly confident that he will be fodder for someone to take the pretty newly made toys from him and add them to their own (danaerys on the way back is most likely). I think redwyne and Euron are already matched up and will meet in the oldtown region, if aurane is in the stepstones, I think either saladin saan takes him out in an amusing way to recover from his losses as a side story, or the iron fleet absorbs him and his inexperienced fleet on the way to kings landing to help emphasize their strength. 

either way, I don’t see him being a headliner. I think the ships have value and will be used against cersei sans Aurane, or they will be sunk to show the strength of a greater force and threat.

On 9/9/2022 at 2:47 PM, Mad King Bolton said:

After some time pondering where Aurane Waters might end up in the story, I’m fairly confident that he will be fodder for someone to take the pretty newly made toys from him and add them to their own (danaerys on the way back is most likely)

That's my guess as well.

To think about it, the point of the Velaryons is to simply be beside the Targaryens. Aurane might have crowned himself a pirate king, he may amass a bigger army, but he will probably join Daenerys as she comes to Westeros and crosses the Stepstones.

Now, Aurane clearly had no loyalty to the Lannisters, but that doesn't really mean he has no loyalty at all.

I would say he'll join Daenerys to either get the Lordship of Driftmark for himself, or to gain another one, Orys Baratheon style. That pretty much depends on him though. His nephew is the Lord of the Tides, not sure of he'd move against him, but I nonetheless doubt he could take the Velaryon name for himself, even if he was given the Velaryons' fortune. 

Can anyone ask for legitimization for bastards beside the parents of a person? I doubt Daenerys could make him a Velaryon.

The other thing I see mentioned here is how he'll have a short reign and Will be quickly rooted out of the Stepstones. Well, let's not forget that pirates couldn't ever be wiped out properly from the Stepstones. Even when there were effortsto do so, they always returned fast and strong. The place has a strategical advantages that pirates have been exploiting for centuries and more.

On 9/10/2022 at 11:07 AM, Moiraine Sedai said:

He’s the next Traveler like the Seasnake. That armada will sail for Asshai and make him rich enough to rebuild the Velaryons. 

Wow, that would be a great story line!  But ... maybe you haven't read the TWOW preview chapters?  I don't want to reveal too much, so let's just say that when the OP referred to Waters as a "pirate lord," he had reason to do so.

For those who want the details:

Spoiler

In the Arianne I preview chapter, Lady Toland of Ghost Hill tells us that someone calling himself "lord of the waters" is operating out of the Stepstones, with "monstrous large" ships.

I think Aurane Waters will have some yet undisclosed role to play in Margaery's trial since it's likely that he's the one who knocked up Elinor Tyrell, Marge's lady-in-waiting and cousin who is a) betrothed and b) was likely seduced by the handsome Bastard of Driftmark, prompting Marge to try obtain Potion B (Moontea) for her cousin but was ultimately seized as evidence of Margaery's own unchasteness.   

On 9/10/2022 at 8:28 PM, Daeron the Daring said:

That's my guess as well.

To think about it, the point of the Velaryons is to simply be beside the Targaryens. Aurane might have crowned himself a pirate king, he may amass a bigger army, but he will probably join Daenerys as she comes to Westeros and crosses the Stepstones.

Now, Aurane clearly had no loyalty to the Lannisters, but that doesn't really mean he has no loyalty at all.

I would say he'll join Daenerys to either get the Lordship of Driftmark for himself, or to gain another one, Orys Baratheon style. That pretty much depends on him though. His nephew is the Lord of the Tides, not sure of he'd move against him, but I nonetheless doubt he could take the Velaryon name for himself, even if he was given the Velaryons' fortune. 

Can anyone ask for legitimization for bastards beside the parents of a person? I doubt Daenerys could make him a Velaryon.

The other thing I see mentioned here is how he'll have a short reign and Will be quickly rooted out of the Stepstones. Well, let's not forget that pirates couldn't ever be wiped out properly from the Stepstones. Even when there were effortsto do so, they always returned fast and strong. The place has a strategical advantages that pirates have been exploiting for centuries and more.

I don’t disagree. I think he could join Dany though he’s probably enjoying pirate life now with his new fleet and feeling over confident. Likely to attack or try to raid Dany when she comes not realizing their full strength or dragons and if he’s wise he will join, if young and full of cum, he’ll add to her legend…I doubt Victarian, if he’s still around at this point will suffer Aurane to join.

this reminds me that Dany might already have her master of ships at this point if Victarian lived to sail home.

On 9/13/2022 at 2:25 AM, Daena the Defiant said:

I think Aurane Waters will have some yet undisclosed role to play in Margaery's trial since it's likely that he's the one who knocked up Elinor Tyrell, Marge's lady-in-waiting and cousin who is a) betrothed and b) was likely seduced by the handsome Bastard of Driftmark, prompting Marge to try obtain Potion B (Moontea) for her cousin but was ultimately seized as evidence of Margaery's own unchasteness.   

This checks out. Margaery would ask Pycelle rather than her maester in order to avoid her own family finding out and Cersei would have found out through Taena. It also gives Varys an extra motive to kill Pycelle as he wouldn't be able to recant or clarify. 

But why Waters? It could have been easily anyone from their entourage and I can't see Waters coming back willingly or otherwise. 

I can't remember what the sample chapters say about him, but since the southern end of the narrow sea is heating up, maybe he'd sail north? If he wants to be a pirate he could prowl the waters between White Harbor and the Vale. If he wants to be a trader he could cart food from Pentos or Bravos or the shores of Andalos up to the North, who would pay handsomely for it.

My most out-there theory would be trying to take over Skaagos or Skane. No one would bother to go root him out of those places. He'd be an island king

Archived