Queen Elizabeth II, the end of an era

Fragile Bird

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Will Charles really go by Charles III and not George VII as he previously claimed?

I think according to an explanation of the next week's activities I just saw on YouTube that whatever name he will be officially going by will be announced tomorrow morning. 

I had a feeling that the news reports of concerns for her health today were preparing people for it.

I'll be watching the coverage on and off. I remember reading an article a year or two ago about "Operation London Bridge", the detailed plan of action for the government and the royal household. 

23 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Will Charles really go by Charles III and not George VII as he previously claimed?

The News programmes are calling him King Charles III - so I guess it's official.

Rest in Peace, Queen Elizabeth II - a truly extraordinary life of duty.  We will probably never see your like again.  The country feels even more fucked now.

I am a big fan of the Royal Family and this is a sad day.

Seemed like she was gonna live forever but all things pass. R.I.P Queen Elizabeth.

Charles is not particularly popular, people will just be waiting for his son to take over I reckon.

17 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'll be watching the coverage on and off. I remember reading an article a year or two ago about "Operation London Bridge", the detailed plan of action for the government and the royal household. 

Apparently since she died in Scotland "Operation Unicorn" (Unicorn being the official national animal of Scotland) has gone into force, she will first be moved to Edinburgh and the coffin will be in St Giles Cathedral for a day before travelling down the London.

People can do as they please in the relative free-for-all that is the UK politics thread, but I think it's only fair that this particular thread maintain some sense of decorum and civility. If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all, please.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

People can do as they please in the relative free-for-all that is the UK politics thread, but I think it's only fair that this particular thread maintain some sense of decorum and civility. If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all, please.

If this was including me, I can maybe see how it comes off that way but was certainly not meant as un-nice, neutral with a slight shading towards positive was what I was aiming for, as much as I think Hitchens got it right on what obits about political players should be. But if it reads as me taking shots at her, I apologize. I’m mostly trying to reconcile an undeniably present figure in world politics for such a long time with so little to actually criticize or praise, and my own resulting ~ ambivalence. I have no issue with people thinking she was a lovely person or w/e, no known reason to. 

Back here in Australia, even though sentiment towards the monarchy itself is quite muted, there is great personal affection for Elizabeth II and she will be very much missed. She was a rock through such a historic time for England. I don't think there are any other world figures who commanded as much respect as she did for her dignity, warmth, and absolutely unwavering sense of duty.

A sad time for Britain especially given its current political and economic issues, but I think Charles will do the job better than expected. He was very prescient on issues like the environment, he has rehabilitated his personal image, and he's been witness all his life to one of the greats. 

To the second Elizabethan age!

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

@James Arryn

Not aimed at you or indeed anyone specific in this thread. We posted nearly at the same time.

Ah, okay, cheers.

But in retrospect I’m kind of retracting my original point. As I think about it maybe I’m assuming that the ‘plays no role’ thing is obvious and predetermined and maybe that’s me undervaluing her when it is in part the rule because she consistently made it so for so long. Sure, I think an alternative would have been disastrous for British royalty, but that’s hardly ever stopped many of her predecessors’ choices. There is something to be said for doing nothing when doing nothing is the right thing to do. 

Archived