Queen Elizabeth II, the end of an era

Fragile Bird

All kinds of interesting things have been reported in the last day, two of which have been the fact most people alive today will likely never hear God Save the Queen sung again, with Charles and William there, and the fact I previously mentioned, Elizabeth was Queen for almost half of Canada’s existence as a nation.

The third thing I heard today was about currency. All you guys in the Commonwealth, take a look at one of your coins with Elizabeth’s head on it. Apparently it’s tradition that no succeeding monarch faces in the same direction as the previous monarch. Elizabeth looks to the right on our coins, Charles will be looking to the left. I assume this is the same tradition in other Commonwealth nations.

*I see the coin flipping was mentioned in an overnight post (for me) in the UK thread.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

All kinds of interesting things have been reported in the last day, two of which have been the fact most people alive today will likely never hear God Save the Queen sung again, with Charles and William there, and the fact I previously mentioned, Elizabeth was Queen for almost half of Canada’s existence as a nation.

The third thing I heard today was about currency. All you guys in the Commonwealth, take a look at one of your coins with Elizabeth’s head on it. Apparently it’s tradition that no succeeding monarch faces in the same direction as the previous monarch. Elizabeth looks to the right on our coins, Charles will be looking to the left. I assume this is the same tradition in other Commonwealth nations.

*I see the coin flipping was mentioned in an overnight post (for me) in the UK thread.

People still use coins?

^^^^^Well that post was deleted faster than it could be quoted.

Just going to point out it seems uncontroversial to elevate her referance to Elizabeth the Great in light of the sheer endurance of her rein which was over twice the length of Alfred the Great.

As histories longest reining royal of the UK monarchy, the title Elizabeth the Great, doesnt seem strange at all, not sure I get the concern over it?

33 minutes ago, maarsen said:

What? No loonies or toonies in your pocket?

Haha it's funny. On the rare occasion I use them, I have to bring them right up to my eye to read what they are. 

@The Mance: I generally find most things more interesting than the monarchy. I'm only in this thread for the currency implications. 

41 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Just going to point out it seems uncontroversial to elevate her referance to Elizabeth the Great in light of the sheer endurance of her rein which was over twice the length of Albert the Great.

As histories longest reining royal of the UK monarchy, the title Elizabeth the Great, doesnt seem strange at all, not sure I get the concern over it?

It’s massive performative hyperbole done to show how flag-wavingly patriotic the person suggesting the title is. Stylings like “the Great” are for future historians to decide on, not contemporaries. And a modern constitutional monarch is extremely unlikely to have the opportunity to gain the personal achievements that earned past monarchs that style.

1 hour ago, Denvek said:

It’s massive performative hyperbole done to show how flag-wavingly patriotic the person suggesting the title is. Stylings like “the Great” are for future historians to decide on, not contemporaries. And a modern constitutional monarch is extremely unlikely to have the opportunity to gain the personal achievements that earned past monarchs that style.

It's arguable if Alfred did. He was hugely important but the actual consolidation of England out of the Seven Kingdoms (not those ones) took place under his son and grandson (and daughter, for that matter). I know people who think he was genuinely called Alfred the Great because he burned some cakes.

Elizabeth the Great would be cheesy though, unless it was clarified as "Elizabeth the Great Long-Lasting Monarch on the Throne", and presumably not "Elizabeth the Great Big Number of Kenyans in Concentration Camps at the Start of my Reign but Best Forget That Sharpish."

23 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's arguable if Alfred did. He was hugely important but the actual consolidation of England out of the Seven Kingdoms (not those ones) took place under his son and grandson (and daughter, for that matter). I know people who think he was genuinely called Alfred the Great because he burned some cakes.

Elizabeth the Great would be cheesy though, unless it was clarified as "Elizabeth the Great Long-Lasting Monarch on the Throne", and presumably not "Elizabeth the Great Big Number of Kenyans in Concentration Camps at the Start of my Reign but Best Forget That Sharpish."

Medieval people regarded Athelstan like Aegon the Conqueror.  Brunanburgh was simply called “The Battle” for a long time.  William the Conqueror wanted to be thought of as a successor worthy of him.  Somehow, he dropped out of popular imagination, in favour of Alfred.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Just going to point out it seems uncontroversial to elevate her referance to Elizabeth the Great in light of the sheer endurance of her rein which was over twice the length of Albert the Great.

I deleted it because I wasn't sure that it was in keeping with the tone of the thread and I didn't want to offend anyone who might be legitimately grieving. Apologies if that was the case to anyone who saw it.

But...yeah, I think that calling her "the great" is somewhat an example of recency bias/losing perspective. Having a long reign wasn't an achievement; it was a combination of her father dying too young and having access to amazing healthcare.

Well -- that was a great speech by King Charles III, well done! Very emotional, sincere, hopeful. Mentioning his parents as "maman" and "papah" was hearfelt; though, I found his mannerism -- specifically after he mentioned Parliament -- to be (probably, unintentionally) amusing, hahahaha, @ 4:45-4:50. The UK is in good hands.

God Save the King!

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Not all commonwealth countries, of course. The last monarch on Indian currency, for instance, would probably be King George VI (and this would be British India and British Indian coinage).

Indian coins have the value on one side, and a 4 lion emblem on the other, coming from the reign of Ashoka the Great. I guess they decided 2000+ years after his death was enough for him to gain that designation.

16 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Yeah I’m sure Liz Truss will do a decent enough job.

Who’s this older gent though?

Paxter -- apparently, the older gentleman is the head of state of Canada, et al. Who's Liz?

Archived