Queen Elizabeth II, the end of an era

Fragile Bird

Just read a very entertaining article on the Queens extensive culinary/dietary rules for royals.

Especially loved reading that the Queen would not abide waste. I am similar in this regard.

-The Queen is no different. In an interview with Hello! (via MSN), Darren McGrady recalled her own propensity towards thriftiness. "One time at the palace," he said, "the Queen was going to the theatre, and she requested a snack. She wanted smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, and he [the server] sent half a lemon, and did a really beautiful garnish on the lemon, and the Queen took a squeeze of the lemon and said, 'Would you send this lemon back to the kitchen? I'm sure it can be used for something else.'"

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/202757/foods-that-the-queen-forbids-the-royal-family-from-eating/?utm_campaign=clip

Eta: Princess Anne's curtsy to the Queen's final arrival at the Palace of Holyroodhouse.

https://content.jwplatform.com/previews/oMAGZ5fa

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Darren McGrady recalled her own propensity towards thriftiness.

DireWolfSpirit -- that makes sense considering she was part of the Greatest Generation, who participated in WWII and experienced (or observed) the Great Depression.

2 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

DireWolfSpirit -- that makes sense considering she was part of the Greatest Generation, who participated in WWII and experienced (or observed) the Great Depression.

The rationing in the UK continued even after WWII.  The Crown did a whole episode on it.

What I don't get is why so many people feel the need to buy more flowers to place at the gates or in parks.  I mean once a critical mass has been reached a few thousand more is not gonna make any real difference.   - I am sure its great business for the florists, but it just seems such a waste of money.  I get the need some feel to pay their respects but why not donate to a charity she was Patron to about 600.  This way it can do some good instead of just being turned into compost.

They have asked people stopped sending stuffed toys (although these could be collected and given to children's charities) and people remove all non compostable materials before laying flowers.   - I imagine there is a lot of plastic flower wrap waste being created from this.

44 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Okay, just announced: national holiday for the Queen’s funeral here in Canada.

Daughter’s nursery shut on the Monday - luckily grandparents can watch her as wife and I have Spa appointment in the late morning.

Incredobly, supermarkets are going to shut that would normally open every day except Christmas Day.

1 minute ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Daughter’s nursery shut on the Monday - luckily grandparents can watch her as wife and I have Spa appointment in the late morning.

Incredobly, supermarkets are going to shut that would normally open every day except Christmas Day.

If I were you I’d double-check that spa appointment.

A lot of the political cartoons in response to the Queen's death have been very sentimental, but I like this one from the i. 

The parents of acquaintances are reportedly enjoying all the pomp and ceremony, in addition to my own mother, who could probably write a book all about arcane Anglican rituals if she wanted. I'm glad someone's getting something out of it. 

I saw a great cartoon on tv yesterday from some newspaper in the US. There was a Corgi on a leash, but the leash had been dropped on the floor, and the Corgi was looking over it’s shoulder wondering what happened.

Sentimental, yes, but as a person who owned dogs for over 45 years it touched me.

Archived