Final fate of the Brothehood Without Banners ?

What do you think should be the fate of the Brotherhood Without Banners, of its various branches with the main one being led by Lady Stoneheart and currently hunting the Freys down and being about to have a fateful meeting with Jaime Lannister, while the other one being led by Thoros of Myr ?

What plot and storylines do you think will happen with them in TWOW and ADOS, in the Riverlands and possibly in other kingdoms ? Who will they meet, and who will they fight ? How important are they going to be ?

What do you think will be their final fate by the end of ASOIAF, once the current game of thrones is finally over and that peace comes back to Westeros ?

5 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

What do you think should be the fate of the Brotherhood Without Banners, of its various branches with the main one being led by Lady Stoneheart and currently hunting the Freys down and being about to have a fateful meeting with Jaime Lannister, while the other one being led by Thoros of Myr ?

There's only one branch and no actual information that anybody has split, let alone Thoros.

6 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

What do you think will be their final fate by the end of ASOIAF, once the current game of thrones is finally over and that peace comes back to Westeros ?

Maybe all dead. 

What I wanna know is who's going to repay these pieces of paper. Like what king or queen of asoiaf can we imagine would want to crash their economy on behalf of the honor of a bunch of bandits?

Pretty sure they’re going down with the upcoming Jaime encounter. However it plays out, I don’t see Jaime and brienne dying, and so I think it will end there. And if they’re all dead and or dispersed, there’s no organization that has to pay back any debts (a joke anyway), and any characters left living will be of enough worth to join up and merge with another worthy group.

2 hours ago, Mad King Bolton said:

Pretty sure they’re going down with the upcoming Jaime encounter. However it plays out, I don’t see Jaime and brienne dying, and so I think it will end there. And if they’re all dead and or dispersed, there’s no organization that has to pay back any debts (a joke anyway), and any characters left living will be of enough worth to join up and merge with another worthy group.

Unless a deus ex machina happens or Brienne breaks her oath, Jaime's getting hanged.

16 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

What plot and storylines do you think will happen with them in TWOW and ADOS, in the Riverlands and possibly in other kingdoms ? Who will they meet, and who will they fight ? How important are they going to be ?

Thoros is part of the LSH group at the moment. Maybe he'll splinter off, but I don't see any suggestion that he will.

A couple of members of Beric's original band were sent south to buy/scavenge food. It's hard to say what they'll think of LSH if they ever meet her.

Others like Ned Dayne and Anguy weren't mentioned as being part of LSH's band, but Brienne would not know them by sight so they might have been there. Or maybe they've already bolted. We'll have to see.

But be careful trying to predict what will come in Martin's stories. That way madness lies.

You know this is a great question.  What will happen to the Brotherhood?  I am of the mind there are many factions and we are only seeing one in the main story.  We know Tom O' Sevens is still communicating with the main group, but where is everyone else?  Can we really believe the lords have anything to do with this revenant of vengeance?  And no, Thoros sure doesn't seem to like it even a little bit.   Brienne is captive and seems to have made Jamie captive.  The key word here is seems.  Our lady has been in no choice situations before and survived.  Jamie didn't hesitate or ask a  single question once Brienne told her the Hound had the girl...after she touched her sword.   Was this a tip off of some sort?  Other posters sure thought so in a topic I had the pleasure of hosting long ago.  Brienne became captive following a most brutal encounter wherein she took food to Gendry, a newly minted knight of the Brotherhood who has been exiled to an outpost to look over a bunch of kids.  He makes weaponry and armor.  I wonder how much glory a very young and very new knight finds in this while the main branch travels and exacts vindication?  Brienne is about to tell Gendry something.   We know what that something is but he doesn't.   All he knows is she fought like a boss, like a knight by golly.  Perhaps he was impressed?  Perhaps he will remember her face being bitten off and yet she fought.  Perhaps he will reevaluate his place as a knight in the scheme of things. 

Jamie dreams of he and Brienne holding twin swords alight with blue flames.  In that I am not a great symbolism guy, I took this to mean the two would fight with the blades reformed from Ice.  Does this preclude one or both of them from dying, well yah, I think it does.   We require a paladin and a fighter with magic swords to fight the Others.  Dead guys won't be there (not on Jamie & Brienne's side any way).   They both survive whatever horrific trial Lady Stoneheart has in mind.   Curiously, I think LSH has to survive after a fashion, too.  She's got to do something if it isn't to kill Batman and Robin.  My money is on a lot more Freys.  Does this mean she maintains leadership of the BWB?  Yah.  She will.  But I think it will be a more corporate leadership, things will shake up a bit.  Thoros, our cleric, may find his balls after the trial and tell her she can't just kill people, the god or gods have made will known or whatever.   There will be a council something.   Arya will show up.  Sandor Clegane will show up.  I hope this all happens in the Neck and LSH can go get her revenge on Roose with Brienne's aid while Thoros and Jamie go tear the Twins down with all the Freys in it or something along those lines.  

Maybe Gendry rides with Arya to Winterfell and LSH realizes not all her children are dead and turns into a wisp of smoke or more likely poor Arya has to show her mercy.  Jamie goes to grab a sword from Kings Landing.  All I know is it will be very exciting and heartbreaking and get pieces into place for end game.  

We see Jamie demonstrating excellent negotiation skills in the chapters leading up to Brienne appearing. He’s settled the matter of Edmure Tully and Riverrun, negotiated a solution to the Blackwood/Bracken stand-off (no easy task considering the long-standing feud), has seen to it that Harrenhall is garrisoned by Ser Bonifer Hasty.

He also recalls how Arthur Dayne dealt with the Kingswood Brotherhood:

“Have their tongues out,” urged Strongboar. “Good luck getting answers then,” said Jaime. “If you want their help, you need to make them love you. That was how Arthur Dayne did it, when we rode against the Kingswood Brotherhood. He paid the smallfolk for the food we ate, brought their grievances to King Aerys, expanded the grazing lands around their villages, even won them the right to fell a certain number of trees each year and take a few of the king’s deer during the autumn. The forest folk had looked to Toyne to defend them, but Ser Arthur did more for them than the Brotherhood could ever hope to do, and won them to our side. After that, the rest was easy.

This is a key clue to how Jamie might succeed in dealing with the BWB and Stoneheart. Before losing his hand, Jamie could rely on his sword and fighting prowess to solve issues. How might things have developed if Jamie had opted for diplomacy instead of brute force when confronting Ned over Tyrion’s abduction? I think Jamie has realized this, a lesson driven home by the loss of his sword hand. While admonishing the Kingsguard, Jamie responds to Loras Tyrell’s insolence with these words:

“I learned from Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, who could have slain all five of you with his left hand while he was taking a piss with the right.

And when Loras remains impertinent he thinks to himself:

He’s me, Jaime realized suddenly. I am speaking to myself, as I was, all cocksure arrogance and empty chivalry. This is what it does to you, to be too good too young. As in a swordfight, sometimes it is best to try a different stroke.

Jamie is distancing himself from his former self, finding a new approach in place of violence. He is practicing with left but it’s doubtful he will ever regain the skill he once had. It’s time to try a different stroke. Diplomacy and negotiation. And he has Brienne on his side to tackle the more physical side of things.

I totally agree with this assessment:

On 9/13/2022 at 7:56 PM, Curled Finger said:

I wonder how much glory a very young and very new knight finds in this while the main branch travels and exacts vindication?  Brienne is about to tell Gendry something.   We know what that something is but he doesn't.   All he knows is she fought like a boss, like a knight by golly.  Perhaps he was impressed?  Perhaps he will remember her face being bitten off and yet she fought.  Perhaps he will reevaluate his place as a knight in the scheme of things. 

With the right incentive, Gendry, Thoros and others will be willing to commit themselves to more noble causes. And Stoneheart herself may be swayed with the right bait. She wants her son back or those responsible for his death dead. Two bargaining chips that Jamie might be able to deliver. Ryman Frey is dead but there are other key players out there. And I can see Stoneheart wanting custody of Robb’s body. If Jamie can pacify the smallfolk by taking care of their needs as Arthur did as well as solve other issues by negotiation, with a minimum resort to violence, the BWB will lose their raison d'être.

Edited by Evolett

21 hours ago, Mad King Bolton said:

You really think Jaime is getting hanged? By Stoneheart? They’ll get out of it. Brienne brought him, fulfilled her promise. Now it’s game on and the brotherhood has SOME honorable dudes left.

Prove it. It's made abundantly clear that either Jaime dies or Brienne does. Since Stoneheart already thinks he's betrayed his word by giving Brienne a Lannister-made sword (made from the sword used by Stoneheart's husband no less), that's another tally in the "pro hanging Kingslayer" column.