NFL 2022 Week 1: Leviathans in Fall

Jace, Extat

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Incredibly sloppy loss for Niners in their opener.  By far the most concerning aspect was all the penalties.  The old adage the Niners beat themselves applies, but also Chicago beat them, not the Bears in terms of the weather.  Reminded me of their shitshow game against the Redskins a few years back.  Just hope no one got seriously injured (which I'm pretty sure didn't happen but I also wasn't paying attention for a lot of it).

Hard to put this on Lance.  Really, the lack of discipline made it look like amateur hour, which is ultimately on Shanahan.  Maybe the most poorly coached games of his I've seen.

Mitchell got hurt and was immediately ruled out for the game, which threw Shanahan’s whole plan out the window and he didn’t adjust. No official word yet but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t miss significant time. Al-Shaair’s protocol’d, so we’ll see how that goes.  Obviously Ward and Kittle were already down. I thought Kinlaw was done but that turned out better than expected, but either way I’d say we’re looking at 4-6 starters out next week anyways, not great for any team’s opener and with this team’s injury history…

The weird thing about the 9ers injury history is that it transcends coaches and trainers and even stadiums. Who do you blame?

edit: ugh, just saw a gross stat, Niners allowed 35%+ pressure rate on zero blitzes. 

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Mitchell got hurt and was immediately ruled out for the game, which threw Shanahan’s whole plan out the window and he didn’t adjust.

Yeah I knew that one and just forgot to mention it.  If Mitchell getting injured entirely upended Shanahan's gameplan then he needs to prepare much better gameplans.  Also, was pretty disappointed he just went to Wilson afterwards instead of integrating Tyrion into the game as well.  It's incredibly frustrating watching them commit so much draft capital on running backs between Ty and Sermon and not even try to utilize them.

I did see Al-Shaair's injury too, hopefully it's not serious.  Anyway, if that's it I'd say it's really not a bad week relatively speaking for the Niners, especially considering the circumstances.  And yeah seems like they dodged a bullet with Kinlaw.

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I knew that one and just forgot to mention it.  If Mitchell getting injured entirely upended Shanahan's gameplan then he needs to prepare much better gameplans.  Also, was pretty disappointed he just went to Wilson afterwards instead of integrating Tyrion into the game as well.  It's incredibly frustrating watching them commit so much draft capital on running backs between Ty and Sermon and not even try to utilize them.

I did see Al-Shaair's injury too, hopefully it's not serious.  Anyway, if that's it I'd say it's really not a bad week relatively speaking for the Niners, especially considering the circumstances.  And yeah seems like they dodged a bullet with Kinlaw.

Sermon got cut didn’t he?

44 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah, and we lost Hasty to…Tampa? TDP better be worth the investment. Maybe Wilson relies inordinately on traction or something, but he looked yech.

@DMC, sorry, I edited after you responded re: giving up 35%+ pressure rate despite facing zero sacks. Worrying. 

What did you guys think of Hufunga? I think he’s going to be very interesting to watch, good and bad. Games like this where it’s mostly in the box he’ll look like one of the best players on the field*, but against teams with good enough qb/wr combos to open it up…which is a lot of teams…he’s going to be targeted and really exposed. But I’ll uberhedge my bet by saying that if the pass rush is as good as it’s expected to be, maybe he’ll get by. I keep hearing the team absolutely loves him. 

* aside from blowing the game changing play. 

12 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

(NFC) Western decadence.

Lol. I blame the Yorks. I mean, fuck ‘em, they deserve so much generally I’ll unfairly lump this on them too. 

edit: throwing this in here to not screw up the numbers, I just went to my profile page and noticed that my post count and profile views* are the exact same number, 15, 977. What are the odds of that?

*not sure I’d even noticed that profile views was a recorded number before. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Also, was pretty disappointed he just went to Wilson afterwards instead of integrating Tyrion into the game as well. 

Tyrion was a healthy scratch.  Had Mason Jordan at +2500 for a TD but even after Wilson went 0 for 3 or so in the ten zone they didn't try Jordan.

Alas.

Though looking at the the AFC standings, Chargers are in first, Miami is in first, Texans are in first, and Steelers are in first.  Half of those teams suck so maybe small sample size.

Colinsworth with a throat infection is like regular shitty collinsworth but raspier.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Picked up by the Iggles on waivers.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

What did you guys think of Hufunga?

The main (only?) bright spot of the game.  It's hard not to compare him to Polamalu - I started doing so once he was drafted last year - but now he's starting to show some of that.  You're definitely right to worry about him in coverage, but I think he can be an improvement to Tartt overall - who, coincidentally, was cut by the Iggles and is still out there.

34 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Tyrion was a healthy scratch.

Ah, good to know, thanks.  Didn't check the inactives as I spent much of the pregame driving around trying to find a bar to watch the game (and failed).

35 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Mason Jordan

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

*not sure I’d even noticed that profile views was a recorded number before. 

Since almost all my profile views are my own, I try to look at that number as much as possible just as a check to see how vain I am....which of course is vain in and of itself.  It's a vicious cycle.

Between a long day of travel and time zone complications I barely got to enjoy the first Sunday of the season. But I did get to see the Vikings fuck up the Packers for an hour and a half. Early take, but the Vikings should be the favorite in the division. The Packers' offense looked atrocious and Rodgers was all around terrible. Maybe Adams jump to a top five WR is why he won those last two MVPs after it was starting to look like his form had dipped.

Da Bears were fun again at least, although it was a painfully slow start for the offense, especially for pass protection.  49ers were disorganized.

Trubiskey managed to lead the Steelers to a win, despite sailing passes yet again.  That might be trickier to repeat without TJ Watt.

Archived