NFL 2022 Week 1: Leviathans in Fall

Jace, Extat

8 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

That makes sense. I’d want to keep Toney but this staff seems to dislike him also. He’s gonna be good with a competent QB. 

Main problem with Toney is that, while he certainly seems to have talent, he also seems like he’s a total shithead off the field.  Plus he’s always hurt. 

7 hours ago, briantw said:

Main problem with Toney is that, while he certainly seems to have talent, he also seems like he’s a total shithead off the field.  Plus he’s always hurt. 

Yup to both. But he’s so explosive in open space. Shepard torn ACL. Unsurprising if you saw him go down. 

11 hours ago, briantw said:

Why keep him around though if he is a cancer and you're not going to play him? Just seems like that would only problems worse, and that's in a season in which you need to decide if your young QB is it or not (spoiler, he's trash).

Unrelated, but I'm going to keep hammering this point. You paid what for this?!?!?!?:

On 9/26/2022 at 3:23 PM, Tywin et al. said:

He doesn't have an agent, which is probably holding some things up, but at the end of the day the Ravens have to keep him since he's a top 5ish QB and their entire offense. Everyday they wait will just make the price tag go up unless he has a Bridgewater like injury.

TBF, Brady outside of a few seasons, has been one of the least exciting QBs I've ever watched.

He wants a contract like Deshaun Watson's but bigger. He wants fully guaranteed money.  The league is collectively treating that contract like an aberration; the Ravens aren't going to give it to him. He'll either have to accept 150-160m guaranteed or walk (which he can't do as they'll just tag him).

52 minutes ago, Mexal said:

He wants a contract like Deshaun Watson's but bigger. He wants fully guaranteed money.  The league is collectively treating that contract like an aberration; the Ravens aren't going to give it to him. He'll either have to accept 150-160m guaranteed or walk (which he can't do as they'll just tag him).

I think they should give it to him, or be willing to compromise closer to something he wants. If it's $250m over five years mostly or fully guaranteed, do it. I'd go to $300m if I could reduce the guaranteed money, but either way pay him otherwise he'll demand a trade and someone will do it and give it to him. He's a good deal better than Watson, younger and doesn't have two torn ACLs already on his bio, plus there are zero concerns about him off the field. 

There are very few players at any position I'd break the bank for. Lamar is one of him, especially if you're paying that kind of money for his prime 20's and not the back end of his 30's like the Broncos did with Mr. Limited. Injuries are always going to be a higher risk with him, but he's one of the five best QBs in football and someone worth going all in for the next few years. Doing anything else only hurts the Ravens situation and his asking price will likely just go up the longer they wait.

Pay that man! 

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

All that tagged money is guaranteed playa.

I love Lamar and everything he's doing. Fuck them. Bet on yourself every day.

3 hours ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Yes but the tag is one season and that's it, not 5 seasons at 50mill each guaranteed. 

He is sure playing this season like he should be paid the most.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yes but the tag is one season and that's it, not 5 seasons at 50mill each guaranteed. 

He is sure playing this season like he should be paid the most.

If they wait it might cost them $60m per season. That's what makes no sense. They have to sign him and lock him up for years to come, so why not do so at today's price? Lamar is a good deal better than Murray, Wilson, Watson, and yes, Burrow too and the latter is going to be up for a deal after this year, along with Herbert as well, and if you franchise Lamar while they get deals...it's just going  to keep costing more. 

10 minutes ago, briantw said:

The problem is that Lamar doesn’t have an agent, so dealing with him is likely significantly more difficult than with 99% of other players. 

That's what I don't get... If Lamar gets $50m acting as his own agent, isn't that 33% better than any other player is getting?

40 minutes ago, Rhom said:

That's what I don't get... If Lamar gets $50m acting as his own agent, isn't that 33% better than any other player is getting?

He clearly doesn’t see it that way.  You have to remember that it’s ego driving most of these guys.  There’s a reason why Kyler wanted just a little bit more than Watson got, and Russ wanted a little bit more than that.

Every star player wants a market setting contract.  They want to be able to say, even if it’s only for a few days, that they were the highest paid player at their position.  We see it basically every year at every position.  

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Agents’ cut is pretty small these days. Lamar is only saving himself like 4-5% by not having one.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

He clearly doesn’t see it that way.  You have to remember that it’s ego driving most of these guys.  There’s a reason why Kyler wanted just a little bit more than Watson got, and Russ wanted a little bit more than that.

Every star player wants a market setting contract.  They want to be able to say, even if it’s only for a few days, that they were the highest paid player at their position.  We see it basically every year at every position.  

Agents are half the problem here too. They want the biggest deal ever just as much so they can tell other players they’ll get them paid the most too.

The real issue here based on the reporting is that the Ravens offered Lamar $133m guaranteed over five years which is a joke.  

20 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think they should give it to him, or be willing to compromise closer to something he wants. If it's $250m over five years mostly or fully guaranteed, do it. I'd go to $300m if I could reduce the guaranteed money, but either way pay him otherwise he'll demand a trade and someone will do it and give it to him. He's a good deal better than Watson, younger and doesn't have two torn ACLs already on his bio, plus there are zero concerns about him off the field. 

There are very few players at any position I'd break the bank for. Lamar is one of him, especially if you're paying that kind of money for his prime 20's and not the back end of his 30's like the Broncos did with Mr. Limited. Injuries are always going to be a higher risk with him, but he's one of the five best QBs in football and someone worth going all in for the next few years. Doing anything else only hurts the Ravens situation and his asking price will likely just go up the longer they wait.

Pay that man! 

The reason they won't do it, or are pushing back, is because they don't want to break the structure of NFL contracts. The minute they recognize a second fully guaranteed contract of any length with that much pay, it's over. Everyone will want or command them and it's going to spread across the league. And with football being such a violent sport, think it puts a major risk on the product in the long term if any of these fail (and there will be expected to be lots of the, not just with QBs but DEs, WRs and so on).

But really, biggest issue that is never discussed but has massive impacts on certain teams like the Bengals on why fully guaranteed contracts are bad is that the CBA rules dictates that all guaranteed money must be put in escrow until it's paid out. This has major implications on teams that aren't owned by billionaires with multiple businesses and multiple revenue streams of cash. Mike Brown is not a billionaire. He only has one stream of revenue. To pay Joe Burrow a $200m+ fully guaranteed contract will have significant ramifications on the rest of the team. Add in another player or two commanding that kind of money and it's over for small market teams. This is never discussed but it's a major factor why some teams pay massive fully guaranteed contracts and others try very hard to structure their contracts where they get a lot of cash up front (to incentivize them to not worry about massive guaranteed money) but little stated guaranteed money. Everyone always assumes the Bengals are cheap but they pay out a shitload of cash, it's just they're "cheap" because they don't give out massive guarantees; this is the biggest reason why.

18 hours ago, Firebrand Jace said:

It's less than he'd be earning on a year by year basis if he signed a new contract. And it's for one year.

Ya but in that year of taggedness the annual value of his future deal goes up, not down. He sacrifices ten mil or whatever off his potential value in 1 (or 2) year(s) worth of tag, but in return his eventual fully guaranteed long term deal is going to be worth five to ten mil a year more than if he'd signed it the year (or two) earlier. 

If the Ravens tag him twice he will get a Mahomes-length deal at Watson-guarantees when he leaves in FA

23 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Ya but in that year of taggedness the annual value of his future deal goes up, not down. He sacrifices ten mil or whatever off his potential value in 1 (or 2) year(s) worth of tag, but in return his eventual fully guaranteed long term deal is going to be worth five to ten mil a year more than if he'd signed it the year (or two) earlier. 

If the Ravens tag him twice he will get a Mahomes-length deal at Watson-guarantees when he leaves in FA

Sure. Or he tears his ACL again. That’s the risk with a one year deal.

Archived