NFL 2022 Week 1: Leviathans in Fall

Jace, Extat

Tua looks like shit. Not sure if it's worth reading too much into given the game conditions Sunday and the short week affected by the hurricane, but that underthrown Int pass to Hill is what I think everyone feared when the trade was made. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Can you explain what was happening with his hands? I've only seen that a few times and it's always a bad sign.

Tonic-clonic (grand mal) seizure. In simplest terms, he went to sleep very suddenly and violently and his body reactively constricts all of the muscles (guarding) in an effort to protect itself. That stepped-on spider reaction is your body trying to defend its most vital areas on instinct. 

I hope he is okay. And that they don't rush him back. Let his brain heal for the love of God.

22 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Tonic-clonic (grand mal) seizure. In simplest terms, he went to sleep very suddenly and violently and his body reactively constricts all of the muscles (guarding) in an effort to protect itself. That stepped-on spider reaction is your body trying to defend its most vital areas on instinct. 

Thanks, appreciate the explanation!

And yeah, building on the last few posts, the NFLPA needs to really investigate what happened on Sunday. Nobody believed he suffered a back injury and if he was actually concussed and put back out there and then allowed to play again today...Heads. Must. Roll. 

39 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Can you explain what was happening with his hands? I've only seen that a few times and it's always a bad sign.

It looked more like a fencing response as opposed to a seizure, but the clips I've seen are short.

16 minutes ago, Raja said:

It looked more like a fencing response as opposed to a seizure, but the clips I've seen are short.

I'll leave it to you and Jace to debate the diagnosis as you two are actually qualified to do so, and fwiw the internet agrees it's one of the two.

Generally speaking, is there a significant difference between them, especially with regards to the long term impact (say weeks or even months)?

35 minutes ago, Raja said:

I ain't no neurologist. I was mostly just upset that they kept showing an obvious brain injury while Al Michaels mused about an elbow injury. 

'guarding' was the wrong term anyway. I inaccurately associated general injury limb hesitance ("guarding") with seizure response motions years and years ago and I've never successfully eradicated the conflation.

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Generally speaking, is there a significant difference between them, especially with regards to the long term impact (say weeks or even months)?

In the context of a head injury, I would say yes, as they are two fairly seperate things. Fencing response is a reflex similar to reflexes we have as infants, and not uncommon in head injuries, especially when it occurs in sports like American Football.

Seizures in the context of head injuries means it's likely a moderate to severe head injury - early seizures would likely be indicative swelling/ bleeding causing the seizures. They can happen, but are rare in concussions, I've certainly never seen them with concussions but mostly seen them in bleeds caused by traumatic head injuries.

19 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

I ain't no neurologist. I was mostly just upset that they kept showing an obvious brain injury while Al Michaels mused about an elbow injury.

Yeah, I was linked to a clip of it and it was very weird seeing people debate if it was a head injury or not & also apparently debating if the concussion he had a few days ago was a concussion.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Allegedly, but I mean, did it look like a 'back injury' to you last week or a head injury?

I don't know the signs well enough so I won't guess. I have to assume that the doctor who evaluated him knows it though and he was specifically looking for signs of it. 

I occasionally have a nerve or whatever in my back on the right side that when I step just right it buckles my knees and I probably look like he did. After the initial buckle and I recover it is gone and I may not feel it for 6 months.

I really hope it was a back issue and they (including him) didn't try to hide something because this looks way worse.

Not thrilled with the play calling, over reliance on Mixon who’s replacement level or Burrow seemingly feeling phantoms early on but super happy with the win. The defense is solid and OL kept Burrow clean all game. If he can start to trust them, big plays will be back. Baltimore is next on SNF and that’ll be a huge game.

Archived