Ukraine 19: In HARMS Way

Werthead

Being kicked out of NATO and having your army bombed back to the Stone Age likely wont do it after he saw what happened to Putin. I am guessing this conflict will die down and Edrogan will get credit for helping to negotiate peace. (Or a ceasefire at least)

8 minutes ago, Alarich II said:

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1569440359276548098?t=WEvM5hZCLqutdmWLvMXfsQ&s=19

So apparently Russias ally Armenia is being attacked by Azerbeijan as we speak. The vultures are already circling on Russias periphery. My guess, it won't bei long before Georgia ist stirring as well...

Woo!  I admit to thinking several times of Russia - 1904, which surprised Europe as much it surprised the Czar ... and that's all I'll say, because superstitious fears of being wrong/jinxing.  Also however it turns out, what comes after is going to be as awful as what has already happened, and may well be so for even more millions of people.

Some reports that a ceasefire is already in place after Putin apparently called both leaders. Possibly some kind of weird face-saving exercise? Not sure why Azerbaijan would feel the need to do that. Azerbaijan claimed they came under attack and launched a blistering counter-strike as a warning, but they're not planning to invade. Very much a developing situation.

In Kherson, there's apparently a constant rotation of Ukrainian units going on. Ukrainian units are only spending a day on the front before being relieved. Russian forces are not being rotated at all, so morale is at abysmal. Multiple front-line units are out of food, ammo or water, or all three, and several have surrendered. Some negotiating a surrender. The wholesale rapid collapse predicted by many hasn't quite happened yet, though.

Looks like Ukraine has been shoring up its new lines in the east and is carefully monitoring Russian activity across the border in case they regroup and then try to punch through now-more-thinly-held Ukrainian lines. Careful balancing act going on there.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Some reports that a ceasefire is already in place after Putin apparently called both leaders. Possibly some kind of weird face-saving exercise? Not sure why Azerbaijan would feel the need to do that. Azerbaijan claimed they came under attack and launched a blistering counter-strike as a warning, but they're not planning to invade. Very much a developing situation.

In Kherson, there's apparently a constant rotation of Ukrainian units going on. Ukrainian units are only spending a day on the front before being relieved. Russian forces are not being rotated at all, so morale is at abysmal. Multiple front-line units are out of food, ammo or water, or all three, and several have surrendered. Some negotiating a surrender. The wholesale rapid collapse predicted by many hasn't quite happened yet, though.

Looks like Ukraine has been shoring up its new lines in the east and is carefully monitoring Russian activity across the border in case they regroup and then try to punch through now-more-thinly-held Ukrainian lines. Careful balancing act going on there.

I had to laugh at one online Russian shill who claimed tge recent Ukrainian gains were just like The Battle of the Bulge.

Not to condone Azerbaijan's actions or hitting civilian targets, but it's a further example of how Russia's power and influence is waning even in its back yard. Azerbaijan knows it's not going to get too much blowback with Turkey backing it and the EU negotiating a new energy deal with them, so they can almost do what they want.

35 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I mean, to be fair, any salient has that potential until it’s consolidated. 

Sort of.  The German offensive in the Bulge was a terrible idea because they could not contest Allied air superiority, had no way of protecting their flanks and were fighting an enemy with good morale, reserves, and leadership.  In many ways the Germans were lucky to have things go as well as they did. 

The Ukrainians are fighting an enemy with bad morale, no reserves, in a contested airspace.  There is a possibility for the Russians to counterattack, but doing so with sufficient strength and speed to cut off the Ukrainian attack has always looked unlikely, and the opportunity is already lost if it were going to happen.   

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Looks like they're over the Siverskyi Donets North of Siverk (to the East of Lyman)

https://gfsis.org.ge/russian-monitor/view/3325

Unconfirmed reports that they've got Kreminna, between Lyman and Severodonetsk. I'm sceptical, but huge if true, it's the main route NW from Severodonetsk, and the first capture North of the SD river, East of the Oskill

Another explicit description of how the breakthrough came about.

Twit: 

NYT: The Critical Moment Behind Ukraine’s Rapid Advance - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

And the twit 4/5 explains the sudden appearance of MRAPs and HEMTT armored engineering recovery vehicles in the random social media video clips deep within the Karkhiv drive in the last couple of days.

Archived