Ukraine 19: In HARMS Way

Werthead

Some sort of weird firefight going on in Kherson city, near the train station. Some reports that it's been staged and Russian forces are "fighting" one another, others that they're fighting partisans and others that different factions of Russian soldiers have really fired on one another. The Ukrainians seem a bit bemused by it. There are Chechens in Kherson, which makes it more likely it's some sort of random bullshit.

Great thread about the Ukrainian offensive and Russian shortcomings.  

Couple things stuck out to me. 

The Wagner mercenaries are the best combat units in the Russian side, better than ru army or Marines.  They also answer only to Putin, not to Russian generals.  This obviously makes coordinated action almost impossible.  

The Russian allocation of forces made no sense, but there isn't a unified commander to straighten things out. Lnr/Dpr/Wagner/rosgvardia/army forces don't have good communication.

When the Ukrainians got behind there lines, the commanders of each unit didn't really know where the other units are, and this leads to a desire to flee, from the top down.  

23 hours ago, Werthead said:

Some sort of weird firefight going on in Kherson city, near the train station. Some reports that it's been staged and Russian forces are "fighting" one another, others that they're fighting partisans and others that different factions of Russian soldiers have really fired on one another. The Ukrainians seem a bit bemused by it. There are Chechens in Kherson, which makes it more likely it's some sort of random bullshit.

I read a fairly recent article that Ukrainian scientists had spotted some UFOs. I guess the Chechens have now spotted them, too.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How do you know UFO… have anything to do with extraterrestrials?

I mean what it probably is is some kind of hover drone with cray cray stealth capabilities being operated by a high speed gal in the belly of a cruiser in the Mediterranean. 

But aliens is just funner

Some wild Twitter claims of Lysychansk being liberated by Ukraine.

I'm very sceptical (cities with population of 100 000 don't fall that easily in this war), but still hopeful (93rd Mechanized Brigade, Ukraine's best of the best, was pushing east towards the city a few days ago).

21 minutes ago, Gorn said:

Some wild Twitter claims of Lysychansk being liberated by Ukraine.

I'm very sceptical (cities with population of 100 000 don't fall that easily in this war), but still hopeful (93rd Mechanized Brigade, Ukraine's best of the best, was pushing east towards the city a few days ago).

Twitter is so damn addictive I’m trying to stay away from it.  

At the moment Ukrainian forces have been geolocated in Bilohorivka, 7 miles west of Lysychansk, capturing it in an apparent surprise advance on an axis the Russians were not expecting. Some reports that Russian forces in the immediate Lysychansk area had been fed into the Soledar-Bakhmut front to the south, despite protestations that Lysychansk was no longer secure. There's been repeated fighting in the refinery towns just SW of Lysychansk for months and Lysychansk, unlike Severodonetsk, is vulnerable to a counter-attack because it doesn't have a large river defending it.

The advance to the NW is stalled at Lyman, but Ukrainian consolidation of the lines to the NW after the fall of Izyum means that Ukrainian forces can bypass Lyman to the north and then cut it off to force a surrender or a negotiated withdrawal. Some Russian Telegram sources are now complaining that the northern sectors of Luhansk Oblast are vulnerable because Russia is diverting reinforcements to Kherson and south to reinforce the minor gains around Bakhmut.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

At the moment Ukrainian forces have been geolocated in Bilohorivka, 7 miles west of Lysychansk, capturing it in an apparent surprise advance on an axis the Russians were not expecting. Some reports that Russian forces in the immediate Lysychansk area had been fed into the Soledar-Bakhmut front to the south, despite protestations that Lysychansk was no longer secure. There's been repeated fighting in the refinery towns just SW of Lysychansk for months and Lysychansk, unlike Severodonetsk, is vulnerable to a counter-attack because it doesn't have a large river defending it.

The advance to the NW is stalled at Lyman, but Ukrainian consolidation of the lines to the NW after the fall of Izyum means that Ukrainian forces can bypass Lyman to the north and then cut it off to force a surrender or a negotiated withdrawal. Some Russian Telegram sources are now complaining that the northern sectors of Luhansk Oblast are vulnerable because Russia is diverting reinforcements to Kherson and south to reinforce the minor gains around Bakhmut.

I was wondering. There isn't much news coming from the northern front, but apparently the Ukrainians are east of the Oskil. Svatove would be another traffic hub to take from the Russians. Pushing into Luhansk also means no referendum any soon. 

3 minutes ago, Loge said:

I was wondering. There isn't much news coming from the northern front, but apparently the Ukrainians are east of the Oskil. Svatove would be another traffic hub to take from the Russians. Pushing into Luhansk also means no referendum any soon. 

The Ukrainians are across the Oskil in force.  They will push further into Luhansk when they have sufficient supplies brought up, and when they do so there will be ample opportunities to once again outflank and outmanuever the Russians.  I very much doubt the Ukrainians will mount a direct assault on Lyman, and they may well bypass Svatove as well. 

Apparently the Russians abandoned Svatove and the pre-war administration started prepping to take back over, but the Russians came running back when they realised the Ukrainians weren't advancing as far as they thought they would.

2 hours ago, Loge said:

Latest news - a collective body of the Luhansk Republic (chamber of... something) applied to their president for referendum NOW :p

In unrelated news. I am (unfortunately) sharing another forum with some Polish PiS supporter. 

That guy is proper crazy. Thought I share one of his ramblings, and why Poland should never be let anywhere Nukes.

polsih nationalist battle cry was always POLAND FROM SEA TO THE SEA WHICH means poland from baltic sea to the black sea

every polish child knows our battle cry: THERE IS NO FREE POLAND WITHOUT FREE UKRAINE

we will have EU and NATO FROM baltic sea to black sea.. why you americans dont fight russia that maked its objective to destroy you? why you are soft on people who plan to kill you? crazy

Just wanted to share it lighten the mood. I am kinda afraid to ask, so I just assume, he is just an outlier on the batshit crazy chart.

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

In unrelated news. I am (unfortunately) sharing another forum with some Polish PiS supporter. 

That guy is proper crazy. Thought I share one of his ramblings, and why Poland should never be let anywhere Nukes.

Just wanted to share it lighten the mood. I am kinda afraid to ask, so I just assume, he is just an outlier on the batshit crazy chart.

This is great example of what happens with human brain after 6 years of watching Polish public TV.

You haven't seen half of the crazy.

I think this one takes the cake thus far.

we = poland would off given our war planes to ukraine if brandon didnt stop us

every mass grave is on you Brandon, and fuck obama who never stood up to putin over crimea

no, Crimea is not russian they lost crimean war under tcar Nicholas 1st over that land

and Kalingrand is polish.. its Krolewiec.. ffs

and Berlin was our land too.. untill Germans took over 1000 years agn and ethnically cleaned our ancestors..

if Jews could get Palestine after 2000 years so we can get our polish Berlin back after paltry 1000 years

Seriously, that guy is properly insane. 

36 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

It’s impressive just how enormous Poland/Lithuania was.  All ruined by their stupid constitution.

Archived