Ukraine 19: In HARMS Way

Werthead

23 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I think that’s Lukhansk.

Luhansk has also been controlled by the Russians since then but Donetsk city has been the capital of the DPR since 2014, although the Ukrainians have always had a military presence on the outskirts that the Russians have never fully managed to dislodge.

On 8/25/2022 at 12:32 PM, Which Tyler said:

I'm far from an expert here - but points 1, 2 & 4, sounds more deliberate than it played out.

I'd agree that those things happened, but I'd be surprised if it was Ukraine's intent beforehand. IMO they planned an assault / seige on Kherson, so Russia flooded troops into the area - where Ukraine then managed to tie them in. Not because of a bait and switch, but because Russia played a hand badly, and suddenly the opportunity was there.

I doubt Ukraine particularly expected an assault around Kharkiv to be quite so successfully - but again, the opportunity presented itself because Russia cocked up.

Constant probing, and enabling on-the-ground commanders to make tactical decisions is showing its rewards against a larger army, hamstrung by incompetence and centralised command.

Looks like I was wrong then:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/10/ukraines-publicised-southern-offensive-was-disinformation-campaign

Ukraine’s southern offensive ‘was designed to trick Russia’

Exclusive: Russian forces wrong-footed by attack in Kharkiv region after preparing for offensive in the south

The much-publicised Ukrainian southern offensive was a disinformation campaign to distract Russia from the real one being prepared in the Kharkiv region, Ukraine’s special forces have said.

ARTICLE CONTINUES

2 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

“Penis” - what a dick!

It's actually Denis, but yup.

7 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Things have moved on massively from then. Izyum and almost all the territory in red to the west is gone as well.

29 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Things have moved on massively from then. Izyum and almost all the territory in red to the west is gone as well.

Oh yes, it's just... I find it illustrates the difference that 5 days has made. Also, TBF to him, it was posted 15 hours ago, I just missed it earlier.

I'm actually liking his maps the best of those I've found, even though he's a little more cautious than some (but less so than others)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1IAEioi_4fG25hwvtvq7IvkGIRSRBET4&ll=49.240813952990365%2C37.61369346811614&z=9

Even now, I think he's including too much close in to Izyum's East, certainly everything to the West of the Oskil should be in blue, and some beyond (especaily to the South there).

Incidentally, further South, he's saying not to believe the reports of Donetsk airport being under attack - thinks that that's false information.

Top the North, he thinks that they've thrown Russia right over the border North of Kharkiv, and as far East as the Siveriski Donets river; but hasn't got in confirmed enough for his latest map update.
Which means Kozacha, Lyptsi, Sternova etc all liberated (or at least, abandoned by Russia)

So... what do we think the weekend holds?
Will Ukraine need to halt here, regroup and consolidate?
Will they push North of Kupyansk, and establish the Oskil as the Eastern front, all the way up to Kamyanka and the Russian border?
Will they push towards bigger prizes, SE towards Lyschansk & Severodonesk?
"Just" push East, and control the P07, and look to take Svatove (allegedly already abandoned)?
Will they pivot, and launch an attack elsewhere along the line? Do they have the troops to do so?

Will Russia finally start a counteroffensive of their own, and tie up the Ukrainians? probably around Donetsk / Horlivka?

The head of the DPR has resigned.

The Ukrainians are advancing steadily but are apparently bemused by reports of masses of Russians and collaborators fleeing for the borders when the Ukrainians are still dozens of miles away. In some areas it looks like partisans, local power-grabbers and the pre-war authorities have summarily taken control because the Russians have left, without any Ukrainian troops on the ground.

There's some really insane rumours flying around. One is that the government of the Luhansk People's Republic is preparing to flee, which is batshit. Luhansk City is far behind the lines. The only reason they'd be planning to flee is if they thought there was nothing they could do to stop Ukrainian forces reaching them. Military observers have also pointed out a colossal weakness in the east, there are no troops at all on the Luhansk-Donetsk border. Ukrainian forces could swing east through Luhansk, make a hard right and roll up the entire southern front unless Russia can put more troops in there, somehow.

There's an "every man for himself" mentality developing and it's spreading through all the other fronts by smartphone (and in some cases is being bolstered by a Ukrainian misinformation campaign). If Russia and its allies stood and fought hard, this would still be a tough war for Ukraine to win, but many of them are not. The Chechens in particular don't seem keen to stick around.

Exactly the scale of this is unclear, but there's plenty of Russian commentators now calling for a full evacuation of Russian forces from Ukraine and letting the LPR and DPR rot, and negotiating for recognition of Crimea.

12 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

Yeah do the Crimea thing (or just give it to Russia) and take back the two republics seems reasonable enough. Certainly not what Russia wanted pre war but it’s probably better then they’ll get if things keep going.

I hope a legit refendum can be held on Crimea. Whatever the results. It’s improbable Russia could sell it as a win.

People were freaking out because Moscow has suddenly gone on a security lockdown, until someone pointed out that's its the annual City Day holiday, celebrating the founding of Moscow. They do this every year.

50 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The head of the DPR has resigned.

The Ukrainians are advancing steadily but are apparently bemused by reports of masses of Russians and collaborators fleeing for the borders when the Ukrainians are still dozens of miles away. In some areas it looks like partisans, local power-grabbers and the pre-war authorities have summarily taken control because the Russians have left, without any Ukrainian troops on the ground.

There's some really insane rumours flying around. One is that the government of the Luhansk People's Republic is preparing to flee, which is batshit. Luhansk City is far behind the lines. The only reason they'd be planning to flee is if they thought there was nothing they could do to stop Ukrainian forces reaching them. Military observers have also pointed out a colossal weakness in the east, there are no troops at all on the Luhansk-Donetsk border. Ukrainian forces could swing east through Luhansk, make a hard right and roll up the entire southern front unless Russia can put more troops in there, somehow.

There's an "every man for himself" mentality developing and it's spreading through all the other fronts by smartphone (and in some cases is being bolstered by a Ukrainian misinformation campaign). If Russia and its allies stood and fought hard, this would still be a tough war for Ukraine to win, but many of them are not. The Chechens in particular don't seem keen to stick around.

Exactly the scale of this is unclear, but there's plenty of Russian commentators now calling for a full evacuation of Russian forces from Ukraine and letting the LPR and DPR rot, and negotiating for recognition of Crimea.

Did the Russians take lessons from the Afghanistan army in how to advance to the rear in double time?

The Russians sent in the air force to try to relieve the front but the only thing they seem to have achieved is losing an Su-34 to apparently mobile Ukrainian air defences. Some reports of Su-24s shot down at the other end of the line.

Apparently some kind of breakthrough in Kherson Oblast but the Ukrainian government is waiting to make an announcement.

Archived