UK Politics- A Taxing Transition

polishgenius

15 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Of course. The wealth belongs to the Crown, not to the person wearing it, therefore it is never inherited since the Crown is eternal. Charles just gets to decide what to do with it.

No. This is about the late Queen's personal wealth. You could argue that she held it for the Windsor clan, but definitely not the Crown.

It's actually about both. He won't pay tax on the assets- property, paintings etc because he's 'holding it as a sovereign' and not for his personal gain, har har, but he also won't pay tax on the personal money she's left to him - although anyone else she left money to will have to pay. 

If he has any dignity he'll give all the 40% to cost-of-living relief.  

The role of the monarch in the UK is to be part of the mechanism of government. It is not to open hospitals, or to host banquets. It is to be the person who consents to the passage of legislation after giving and receiving advice on the issue.

In that case, if the continuity of the monarchy is to be emphasised the most important thing to happen would be for the business of government to continue - after the appropriate pause for reflection that was provided on Friday and Saturday - starting on Monday morning.

Other business is continuing next week. Debts will also be chased. Schools and other public services will all operate. But the process of accountable government will be suspended. That is a powerful and worrying symbol suggesting there is no accountability in the UK, after all.

There have been ample such other symbols, all of which have been troubling. I was astonished that the Accession Council was not asked its opinion on the ascent of Charles III to the throne: not once were the 200 or so Privy Councillors assembled asked their opinion.

If the so-called ‘great and good’ were present to offer counsel - as is their task - why was their opinion not sought on the matter laid before them? And yet it was not. A simple call for ‘Ayes’ and ‘Noes’ would have sufficed. But it did not happen. So, nor did democracy.

Instead Charles III ascended as of right. And of course, the Accession Council would have confirmed that fact. We all know that. But that is not the issue. Eugenics trumped democracy here - and our leaders didn’t even pretend otherwise.

Worse, the accession proclamation said that Prince Charles has ‘become our only lawful and rightful Liege Lord Charles the Third’. A liege is the vassal of a feudal superior, where vassal means a person holding rights on conditions of homage and allegiance.

I have to say that I object to the idea that I hold anything as a favour from a monarch who did no more to acquire that right than to be born. Every political sensibility that I have is offended by that idea.

This notion also affronts my senses as a believer in the equality of all.

It offends me as a democrat.

But, but, but this lady is not for turning. Britain doesn't produce the politicians it used to - and yes, that the UK is now ruled by a cheap rip off copy of a 1980s classic is a direct result of Brexit. That happens when you lower the standards. A few years ago, the Tories would've needed to label her as unfit for human consumption.  

https://time.com/6212113/queen-elizabeth-india-kohinoor-diamond/

At the very least, King Charles III must acknowledge the “black history” of the Kohinoor diamond, Dutt says.

“A recognition of the fact that it was obtained through stealth and deception would be a significant step at this stage, that lays the groundwork for the next generation to be able to give it back,” he tells TIME.

Many Indians may not have that patience. In the wake of the Queen’s death, there is only one demand on Indian Twitter: “Now can we get our #Kohinoor back?”

Being a famed environmentalist, I imagine Charles III is in favor of 'carbon capture', so I am going to guess not.

I've been seeing countless variations on media story captions: What will King Charles III do to consolidate Britain's presence in the world?

I realized then I have no idea what Britain's presence in the world is, or even if it has one, after the Tories/ torrid love affair with Russian money and BREXIT.

(Yes, the USA still has a presence in the world because WE HAZ ALL THE GUNZ, yay us, I guess? :P )

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

This actual unjustified government censorship—which will get a lot less attention than some rightoid getting criticism on Twitter.

6 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

https://time.com/6212113/queen-elizabeth-india-kohinoor-diamond/

Being a famed environmentalist, I imagine Charles III is in favor of 'carbon capture', so I am going to guess not.

Not to be that guy, but to be fair India stole the diamond first.

Archived