UK Politics- A Taxing Transition

polishgenius

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I wonder how many people will have a worse outcome or even die because of the monarch fanbase.

They're getting cancelled because Monday is a bank holiday, which means outpatient appointments will get cancelled and the NHS will run how it normally runs on bank holidays ( no outpatient appointments etc). I wouldn't call it 'as a mark of respect' but more because Monday is now a bank holiday.

Though the bank holiday is certainly going to have a massive effect as scheduled elective operations, outpatient appointments will all need to be rescheduled.

On 9/12/2022 at 2:02 PM, Crixus said:

Pakistan is also demanding they get it 'back', lol. Ah, the continued fallout of a fundamentally flawed concept (partition). I'm from Pakistan fyi, and nowadays there seem to be more and more people finally questioning the whole damned thing. 

The heirs of Ranjit Singh would surely have the best claim, if the Queen gave it up.

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

What an absolutely absurd decision. 

But even those choosing to stay at Center Parcs don't deserve this.

That's nasty.    and really nasty if Monday was the middle of your stay.  This could cost them a lot of future bookings.

I could understand kindof if they closed the facilities and restaurants for the day or even just the for the hours of the funeral.   But to kick people out of their self catering cabins and make them sleep somewhere else?  is stupid, cruel and unnecessary.

Butlins is remaining open,  however Monday's arrivals have been asked to arrive later.  Butlins will win the PR for this.  

3 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I could understand kindof if they closed the facilities and restaurants for the day or even just the for the hours of the funeral.   But to kick people out of their self catering cabins and make them sleep somewhere else?  is stupid, cruel and unnecessary.

Butlins is remaining open,  however Monday's arrivals have been asked to arrive later.  Butlins will win the PR for this.  

The biggest surprise about this post is... that Butlins still exists

The second biggest... that it's ever won a PR battle in it's life

44 minutes ago, dog-days said:

King Charles starts as he means to go on, by doing something mean and unpopular.

I do get the feeling that Charles will never be able to win though.

The board has been complaining about the cost of the royals. But when he tries to slim things down a bit he gets flack for that too. I suppose that the timing could be faulted, but it is never a good time to make people redundant.

39 minutes ago, A wilding said:

I do get the feeling that Charles will never be able to win though.

The board has been complaining about the cost of the royals. But when he tries to slim things down a bit he gets flack for that too. I suppose that the timing could be faulted, but it is never a good time to make people redundant.

Wait... Are you saying one of the richest people in the country doesn't pay for his staff himself? For staff providing “direct, close, personal support and advice” and taking care of his personal interests?

They perform essential tasks for the smooth running of the Realm, such as dispensing the toothpaste from a silver toothpaste dispenser and having it at Charles' sink ready for toothbrushing whenever.  I've been seeing this reported for years.  I have no idea if it's true though.

44 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Perhaps not in practice, but in theory Parliament can ignore all of the red lining and write whatever legislation they want.

Two questions:

1. Are you not aware that they are tolerated in some part because they are presented to the British people as purely ceremonial heads of state, with absolutely no involvement in the formulation or drafting of legislation other than the rubber stamping of it?

2. Did you not read any of those Guardian stories? 

8 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Two questions:

1. Are you not aware that they are tolerated in some part because they are presented to the British people as purely ceremonial heads of state, with absolutely no involvement in the formulation or drafting of legislation other than the rubber stamping of it?

2. Did you not read any of those Guardian stories? 

1. Should I assume the British people are so dumb as to think the Royals would not seek to influence legislation affecting them?

2. I only read the first one, because it was about 1000 laws so I figured it would cover the main points. My take away was that the royals have influence and can lobby, but they can't, in theory, stop parliament from acting independent of their wishes. Did I mis-read, or was there something in the other two articles which says the monarch has legal powers over parliament, in a specific and limited way?

Archived