UK Politics- A Taxing Transition

polishgenius

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

My take away was that the royals have influence and can lobby, but they can't, in theory, stop parliament from acting independent of their wishes. Did I mis-read, or was there something in the other two articles which says the monarch has legal powers over parliament, in a specific and limited way?

A whole bunch of legislation got re-drafted after intervention by the Queen. 

It's not complicated. A series of governments have allowed the Windsors to meddle and interfere with our democratic process.

This is not supposed to be happening. And that's the bottom line. 

Prince William just inherited a 685-year-old estate worth $1 billion

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/13/business/prince-william-1-billion-inheritance/index.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The questions over the queen’s role in Britain’s violent empire, explained by a historian
An expert on the British Empire explains “Her Majesty’s government” in the 20th century.

https://www.vox.com/world/2022/9/13/23349267/queen-elizabeth-british-empire-colonialism-violence

“All empires were violent,” said Caroline Elkins, whose second book, Legacy of Violence: A History of the British Empire, came out earlier this year. “And the British Empire was no exception to that.”

And decoupling the monarchy from that legacy is in some ways impossible.

“The monarchy very much wraps itself up into the empire — deploying its symbols, its images, its familial language,” Elkins said. “There’s no question that serious, systemic violence and crimes happened in her name, during her period of reign.”

At the same time, there’s “absolutely no extant documentary evidence directly linking [Queen Elizabeth II] to knowledge of systematic violence and cover-up in the empire,” Elkins said, and what little evidence does exist indicates that some of Britain’s highest-ranking officials lied to the queen to cover up atrocities, “just as they did with the public and Parliament.” And yet, she acknowledged, for some it might seem implausible that a monarch “renowned for her incredible knowledge about foreign affairs ... really was completely in the dark.”

Vox spoke to Elkins, a professor of history and African American studies at Harvard University, to dig into those questions about the legacy of British colonialism and the role of the monarchy — then and now.  ....

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Prince William just inherited a 685-year-old estate worth $1 billion

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/13/business/prince-william-1-billion-inheritance/index.html

But it would be too much of a burden for him to sell it for charity because the other estates he has aren't as old or valuable. 

Seriously, these people are thieves whose scam is entirely built on their claim of genetic superiority because of God. When the con is that obvious and people still buy it...

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

But it would be too much of a burden for him to sell it for charity because the other estates he has aren't as old or valuable. 

Seriously, these people are thieves whose scam is entirely built on their claim of genetic superiority because of God. When the con is that obvious and people still buy it...

Who are you to question the genetic superiority of a German bloodline... oh, right, nevermind. :leaving:

Prince Andrew getting twitter grief this morning for groping his own daughter in front of the cameras. :lol:

On the one hand, it's clearly horseshit.

On the other, upon closer inspection, it does in fact look like, on the way down, he's going in for the taint. But then he probably realizes that seeing as he's not squirreled away in a paedophile's New York townhouse, he'd better reign himself in. 

Personally, I think we should all cut him a bit of slack. After all, crack is very moreish. And, believe me, I should know. 

27 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Prince Andrew getting twitter grief this morning for groping his own daughter in front of the cameras. /cdn-cgi/mirage/9b93c9ed4ddd0312d372086798b751690ac130eb-1663153503-1800/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_lol.gif

On the one hand, it's clearly horseshit.

On the other, upon closer inspection, it does in fact look like, on the way down, he's going in for the taint. But then he probably realizes that seeing as he's not squirreled away in a paedophile's New York townhouse, he'd better reign himself in. 

Personally, I think we should all cut him a bit of slack. After all, crack is very moreish. And, believe me, I should know. 

He is royalty so a proclivity for incest is to be expected/s

12 hours ago, SuperHans said:

A whole bunch of legislation got re-drafted after intervention by the Queen. 

It's not complicated. A series of governments have allowed the Windsors to meddle and interfere with our democratic process.

This is not supposed to be happening. And that's the bottom line. 

Hey do you guys ever see “We’ll actually we’re  not a democracy, we’re  a constitutional monarchy!”

I see a ton of that sort of pedantry by US conservatives(usually the more ostensibly authoritarian types) when people note republicans anti-democratic actionss/sentiment. 

From the Guardian letters:

The Queen lived a life of extraordinary privilege, her every need met by vast inherited wealth and the public purse. And what did she do in return? She existed and worked. We all exist and work just as hard as she did and for a far more modest return, some of us struggling to get by, as she never had to.

In the past, the monarch was considered semi-divine, placed on the throne by a Christian god. I find it depressing that she has become the object of similar magical thinking – a universal grandmother who has kept us safe.

We are a hierarchical society of grotesque inequalities in life expectancy, healthcare, housing and education. She symbolised and sanitised that, as the monarchy embodied in the person of King Charles III will continue to do. How useful all this must be to the current government, the spotlight moved from the very bad winter that we are going to face.

Turns out that a blank piece of paper is merely a police warning in GB.
To get arrested, you need to... own some eggs.
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/man-charged-for-carrying-an-item-of-food-near-queens-coffin-335059/

I rather suspect her maj is turning in her... coffin... at all this.

Don't.

Last time somebody performed that ritual to bring back Mick Jagger it cost us John Lennon.

Only Death may pay for Life, it is known.

And now we have the 100th farewell tour of the Rollng Stone with Zombie Mick on the mic. It was a bad trade.  And yes, Mick Jagger died in 1978. 

Archived