UK Politics- A Taxing Transition

polishgenius

So a failure of overhead lines means that no trains are running into or out of London Paddington railway station today. Messing up the travel plans of numerous people who wanted to be in London for the funeral or Windsor for the procession.

There is something rather symbolic about that. Especially as the newly created "Elizabeth Line" is one of those affected.

18 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Apparently there's been ongoing civil disorder in East Leicester since the Pakistan India Asia Cup match at the end of last month. Bloody hell people are idiots. Sports riots are pretty fucking stupid anyway but three weeks of disorder over a group stage T20 match feels particularly idiotic.

Just to state, this is much more than about cricket or sports fans or India V Pakistan, and we should not be reducing it to that - there is overlap, but it isn't as simple as that, though that seems to have been the spark - it is an ongoing broader issue related to Hindutva, Modi's rheteroic over the last few years and particularly the RSS

Thread here

The above is all partiularly disheartening as my time in Liecester was great, I'm Indian & Hindu and worked with lots of Pakistani and Muslim staff within the NHS and existing in that mixed community was nice. India has gone down an awful path with Modi, and now that is spilling out here.

My favourite comment I've read

'Everyone in the queue kicking off about celebrities jumping the queue have already bought into the idea that some people are better. Its only right they are getting to see it played out first hand and have it rubbed in their stupid faces'.

36 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Children wearing military medals is not at all weird. Nope. Nope. Not at all.

It's been high comedy watching the media dance around Prince Andrew. If only his friend Jeffrey was there to comfort him...

One of the things about being down in New Orleans, land of Mardi Gras Indians, Second Lines, the bottomless beer, endless football and Jazz Funerals, Festivals and Just Because -- haven't heard the word Queen once (though quite often "Puerto Rico" and "hurricane" and "asylum seekers"). 

Of course, though, New Orleans is France and Spain.  The anglo sphere doesn't exist in this realm.

Archived