UK Politics- A Taxing Transition

polishgenius

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm so glad we have the charismatic and visionary leadership of Liz Truss to get us out of this mess.

And our new chancellor, Kwasi Karteng, who seems to have done some lines for breakfast before the funeral. 

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

WTAF?
And on a major news channel as well!

These people are aware that:

1: Two of these countries have nukes?

2: Britain’s army is small. Hell, not sure if we’d even be able to get the troops there?

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Here he is 

Raja isn't wrong. It's a couple of white dudes with little real insight assuming the worst because... We can fill in the blank a day after the new king clearly refused to shake a black man's hand. 

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

These people are aware that:

1: Two of these countries have nukes?

2: Britain’s army is small. Hell, not sure if we’d even be able to get the troops there?

Imperium delusionists, like Putin, who believe the world believes like they do, that They are still ruling the world.  Horror show.

On 9/19/2022 at 2:48 PM, Raja said:

The above is all partiularly disheartening as my time in Liecester was great, I'm Indian & Hindu and worked with lots of Pakistani and Muslim staff within the NHS and existing in that mixed community was nice. India has gone down an awful path with Modi, and now that is spilling out here.

I know how you feel (Pakistani here, though not a practising Muslim by any means). I live in Dubai and have loads of Indian colleagues; my 2 sisters are in London and have many Indian friends and colleagues too. So far we've never experienced any tension personally, thankfully. But the situation is sad and worrying. 

I happened onto an Indian sub on reddit recently (India Speaks?) and was utterly horrified at the content of hugely upvoted topics on there that almost uniformly seem to be influenced by RSS/Hindutva bs. I hope that isn't a barometer of what's actually going on in India right now, but I suspect it might be to an extent.

13 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wrong generation. Queen Victoria's husband was German (some junior branch of House Hannover, iirc). That's the German bloodline, and why they underwent a name change to House Winndsor during WWII.

The whole house of Hanover starting with George I was of German descent. Victoria marrying Albert just reinforced their German heritage. Victoria's children and grandchildren married into royal houses across Europe, making the Czar of Russia, the Kaiser of Germany and the King of England first cousins when WWI broke out.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Raja isn't wrong. It's a couple of white dudes with little real insight assuming the worst because... We can fill in the blank a day after the new king clearly refused to shake a black man's hand. 

When you shake that many hands some people are always going to be missed out.  I may be wrong but I this is the first time I can remember people claiming he didn't shake a hand due to skin colour and given how many hands he has shaken over his life time I think there would have been an obvious pattern by now if that was the case.

2 mins on google and I can find these examples of King Charles shaking non-white hands.  although most of the what I searched though where links to the same video of him not shaking a black hand.

video Link and Photo link

I am not saying he is not racist, the video does look bad, Once incidence could be coincidence.   - I have seen plenty of times in the past where white hands have been skipped.  will however keep an eye out from now on and see if there is indeed a pattern, but I won't condemn him for this one time.

6 hours ago, SuperHans said:

People raised by racists tend to be racists themselves. So of course he's racist.

This seems too generalized, plenty people buck their bigoted family traditions or views.

But Honestly it’d be a bit if this man whose been taught he’s genetically superior and entitled to certain political power since birth isn’t more racist than the average person.

I mean he’s literally a monarch.

14 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Here he is 

You know it looks like you’re proudly proclaiming to be one of those dudes.

Which is unintentionally some honestly honest. Here’s an emoji:P 

6 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

will however keep an eye out from now on and see if there is indeed a pattern, but I won't condemn him for this one time.

You might want to be careful, people often see patterns when there isn’t one.

Or ignore them.

I’m of the opinion the Handshake controversy isn’t that big deal.

Still the monarchy is still an abomination and Charles has a moral imperative to end it.

6 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

You might want to be careful, people often see patterns when there isn’t one.

Or ignore them.

I’m of the opinion the Handshake controversy isn’t that big deal.

Still the monarchy is still an abomination and Charles has a moral imperative to end it.

I am of the opinion that we really should not have a Monarchy, while also having a positive impression of Queen Elizabeth's reign.  I do think the Monarchy has been a net positive for Britain and has given us a lot of soft power in the world.  This does now mean we can't achieve the same via something other than the Monarchy.  As people I wish them (mostly) well as I would anyone. 

However before we get rid of them can we at least wait till the coronation?  let us get that extra bank holiday.  Yes money will be wasted on the event itself, but that should mean there is less money available for this government to syphon off to their mates.

Will we even see a coronation?

Perhaps the same British Establishment that murdered* George V in order to meet a print deadline in The Times might also do something to spare us from Old Sausage Fingers.

What's that you say? You've never heard such nonsense? The king being deliberately killed to avoid being relegated to the evening news? Next thing you'll be telling us that the Queen's uncle tried and failed to organize a coup d'etat against the legitimate government of Harold Wilson.

*There is no such thing as legal euthanazia under British Law. Never has been. The king was murdered.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Will we even see a coronation?

Perhaps the same British Establishment that murdered* George V in order to meet a print deadline in The Times might also do something to spare us from Old Sausage Fingers.

What's that you say? You've never heard such nonsense? The king being deliberately killed to avoid being relegated to the evening news? Next thing you'll be telling us that the Queen's uncle tried and failed to organize a coup d'etat against the legitimate government of Harold Wilson.

*There is no such thing as legal euthanazia under British Law. Never has been. The king was murdered.

I thought it was other people who planned the coup and got stopped partly because Mountbatten wouldn’t do it

5 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I am of the opinion that we really should not have a Monarchy, while also having a positive impression of Queen Elizabeth's reign.  I do think the Monarchy has been a net positive for Britain and has given us a lot of soft power in the world.  This does now mean we can't achieve the same via something other than the Monarchy.  As people I wish them (mostly) well as I would anyone. 

However before we get rid of them can we at least wait till the coronation?  let us get that extra bank holiday.  Yes money will be wasted on the event itself, but that should mean there is less money available for this government to syphon off to their mates.

Yeah I think all the ‘not my Queen’ at the funeral of an old lady is pretty grim. A lot of people have used this moment to try to look like proper edgelords and prove how they are better than your stupid average Brit. So… slow clap to them. 

There is a time where a proper conversation about the role of the monarchy comes into play, it’s probably not right now but it’s soon. Even Charlie seems to be accepting of the fact that there needs to be a much smaller monarchy, just the immediate family rather than the extended hangers on who most people would barely recognise. So I think that will happen and has started to happen 

Archived