UK Politics- A Taxing Transition

polishgenius

Yeah, here we go. Bankers get more money. Companies get support for the energy bills. Customers get support for their energy bills. But when it comes to poor people on benefits, got to balance that budget! They need to work more! The best motivator is to starve the buggers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62989572

What’s the objection to it? That there is no such thing as people claiming benefits when they could just have gone out to work instead?

No, In principle I have no issue with this at all, the priority for people should be to go out and earn your own money, not just rely on handouts. If there is a lot of work to go around, as extra vacancies points to, then you will need a good reason why you shouldn’t be taking those jobs to support yourself. 

Whether it works or not or is well designed or implemented is another matter, but in principle I have no problem with it. I grew up on a working class london estate where the norm was to claim your benefits, not take work, and supplement your income with ‘other’ methods. I don’t have a rose tinted view of peoples behaviour.

15 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Census figures showing NI now has more Catholics than Protestants - could Star Trek’s prediction of the date of Irish unification still be right?

I don't think there is enough time to announce work out the exact wording, and hold a referendum in both Rep. Ireland and N. Ireland.  and then implement the result before the end of 2024 even if they started the process today.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I grew up on a working class london estate where the norm was to claim your benefits, not take work, and supplement your income with ‘other’ methods.

Just because that was the norm in your family, doesn't mean everybody was doing it.

Seriously, though. What a load of unsubstantiated Daily Mail claptrap. I also grew up on a London estate. Alongside some of the hardest working people you are ever likely to meet.

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Just because that was the norm in your family, doesn't mean everybody was doing it.

Seriously, though. What a load of unsubstantiated Daily Mail claptrap. I also grew up on a London estate. Alongside some of the hardest working people you are ever likely to meet.

Good for you Superhans, then the rules wouldn’t affect your family would they 

14 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Sorry you don’t have the right linage so government can’t be expected to help you or those hard working people.

So work harder peasant!/s

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I don’t have a rose tinted view of peoples behaviour.

Well, not of working class behaviour.

You do apparently have a rose-tinted view on the good faith of the people deciding who gets the handouts, because no-one's ever had their benefits stopped for bullshit reasons before.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Well, not of working class behaviour.

You do apparently have a rose-tinted view on the good faith of the people deciding who gets the handouts, because no-one's ever had their benefits stopped for bullshit reasons before.

That comes under ‘the system not working properly’.

I'll never understand why conservatives hate handouts for the needy, but when corporations and the super rich seek and get welfare in the millions that's just smart business, especially when the latter won't pay living wages causing the former to ask the state for help. 

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'll never understand why conservatives hate handouts for the needy, but when corporations and the super rich seek and get welfare in the millions that's just smart business, especially when the latter won't pay living wages causing the former to ask the state for help. 

25 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

That comes under ‘the system not working properly’.

Hey, can you actually make a case for why the policy would actually help more people than it’d potentially hurt or improve people’s lives.

So far you’ve gave some vague useless proclamation on not being opposed to on principle because you’ve encountered people not actively seeking employment and who relied on government for succor. 

But the people impacted were already working

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Should people not be encouraged to get jobs rather than relying on tax payer money? 

You either naively believe in meritocracy or you’re a monarchist who believes it’s necessary for government to pay millions towards someone and give them the position of head of state just for being born.

Pick one and stick to at least until the next thread.

Archived