Jump to content

UK Politics- A Taxing Transition


polishgenius
 Share

Recommended Posts

People getting really pissed off about the football being cancelled. 

Apparently it is because they don't trust football fans - who, incidentally, probably represent pretty much the entire social spectrum of British citizens - not to boo the national anthem. 

So, come on, British Establishment. Which is it? Either the majority of people love and respect these inbred scroungers, or they want them gone. 

Edited by SuperHans
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah it is ridiculous, you can question how appropriate it is to be making these protests at the place of mourning of someone who died, but no way should anyone be arrested for any of this. Generally, despite whats being said, from what I can see 'free speech advocates' are just as appalled by the arrest as anyone else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

A bike stand outside council offices in Norwich has been closed (with a threat to remove bikes) for 12 days of mourning. The country has lost its goddamn minds. 

And how many arrested for silently holding Republican signs; or asking who voted for Charles?

 

I'd thought the Norwich thing was a parody at first, it's so ridiculous - but apparently, not, it's true.

 

 

ETA: Sorry, beaten to it by, once again, not noticing there was a new page of posts after the post I was replying to. Though the twitter thread above is in reference to one of them - I've seen a fair few others on social media talking about having been arrested for similar.

Edited by Which Tyler
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

And how many arrested for silently holding Republican signs; or asking who voted for Charles?

This fascist behaviour is more likely to turn people away from the monarchy than anyone holding up a bit of cardboard with words scrawled on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Not to be that guy, but to be fair India stole the diamond first.

Stole it from where? Most accounts state it was originally mined in one of the states in India (Andhra Pradesh), and since then passed through the hands of many invaders and rulers, including the Afghan empire and the Mughal empire.

Personally I dont care for diamonds and their artificially inflated value etc., but its a stretch to say 'India' stole it first, partly because of the stone's varied history but also because 'India' as an entity didnt exist when it passed into a local ruler's hands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's not denying the concept of stochastic terrorism any more for those who agree with the guy who thinks asking that question could lead to regicide.

The poor old Reg's of this world, can't catch a break. Anything you say and Reg's will get it in the neck. What did they ever do to deserve it? Leave Reg's out of it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Stole it from where? Most accounts state it was originally mined in one of the states in India (Andhra Pradesh), and since then passed through the hands of many invaders and rulers, including the Afghan empire and the Mughal empire.

Personally I dont care for diamonds and their artificially inflated value etc., but its a stretch to say 'India' stole it first, partly because of the stone's varied history but also because 'India' as an entity didnt exist when it passed into a local ruler's hands.

Pakistan is also demanding they get it 'back', lol. Ah, the continued fallout of a fundamentally flawed concept (partition). I'm from Pakistan fyi, and nowadays there seem to be more and more people finally questioning the whole damned thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crixus said:

Pakistan is also demanding they get it 'back', lol. Ah, the continued fallout of a fundamentally flawed concept (partition). I'm from Pakistan fyi, and nowadays there seem to be more and more people finally questioning the whole damned thing. 

hmmm   I guess the proper British thing to do would be to cut the Dimond in half before handing it back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

“It’s a bonny thing,” said he. “Just see how it glints and sparkles. Of course it is a nucleus and focus of crime. Every good stone is. They are the devil’s pet baits. In the larger and older jewels every facet may stand for a bloody deed.

Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/12/republican-britain-why-are-people-getting-arrested

Quote

 

Being a republican in Britain used to be perfectly respectable. So why are people now getting arrested for it?

Over the years, the conversation has been steadily closed down so that you can no longer voice anything but adoration.

A woman in Edinburgh was arrested at the weekend for holding a sign that said: “Fuck imperialism, abolish monarchy.” In Oxford, an even milder protest resulted in the arrest of Symon Hill. He emerged from church as the proclamation for King Charles III was being read, and called out: “Who elected him?” There is a question mark over how disruptive that was, in the great scheme of things, but it was enough for the police to arrest and handcuff him, later to de-arrest him on the understanding that he would be questioned in the future. Hill says that, at the time, they told him they were acting under the new Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act (2022), though they later described it as a potential public order offence.

...

ARTICLE CONTINUES

 

 

Edited by Which Tyler
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Stole it from where?

Me. While I was casually time travelling, I decided to pay India a visit. There I was robbed of said jewel. I very much would like to get it back, however I am a reasonable horse, so I am willing to settle. 10% of the current estimated market value, and I will drop my claim to it.

Deal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Me. While I was casually time travelling, I decided to pay India a visit. There I was robbed of said jewel. I very much would like to get it back, however I am a reasonable horse, so I am willing to settle. 10% of the current estimated market value, and I will drop my claim to it.

Deal?

Neigh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

A bike stand outside council offices in Norwich has been closed (with a threat to remove bikes) for 12 days of mourning. The country has lost its goddamn minds. 

Indeed it should be 96 days of mourning. One day for each year of her life. If the Tories could find a way to make hibernation a human, or at least a British thing, that would also solve the issue with rising energy prices. You just sleep through parts of the winter, and when you wake up after those 96 days of mourning, you are half-way through winter. Before you dismiss the idea as ridiculous, may I remind you, that your new PM is Liz effing Truss. And compared to that the idea of hibernation sounds relatively sane to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

“The existence of a monarch infantilises the people. Discuss.”

No more than other types of celebrity. Republicans tend to behave in a lot of infantile behaviour too though so maybe there is something in it.

Infantile behaviour seems to be the norm in society at the moment anyway, so if we can pin it all on Royalty that would be really useful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm of the belief that the British Museum should be more-or-less empty but I can't really bring myself to care about whether they 'return' the Koh-i-Noor. It wasn't some piece of cultural heritage that was pilfered, what was done with it was exactly what it had been all along, a big shiny diamond being taken by the winner of a war to show off. 

Maybe if they gave it to the Jagannath Temple in Puri like the Sheikh king who had it at one point wanted but was overruled on his deathbed by his 'advisers', that would be something. But I don't even know if that temple wants it now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SuperHans said:

This fascist behaviour is more likely to turn people away from the monarchy than anyone holding up a bit of cardboard with words scrawled on. 

I imagine the Washington Post and other sites won't be arrested though, for reporting this, and for running think pieces about why there are people around the world who remain affected by colonialism and its efforts even during her reign. and are rather offended that they are expected to mourn in public along with all the fairy tale public mourning that is taking place.  Those are the facts, and fairytaling / pretending it didn't happen / that there are no current consequences to the appalling cost to the former imperium's conquests doesn't change them.

But you, know, that disease sometimes called "sentimental nostalgia" is forever with us, whomever we are, in some shape and form.  The US sure does suffer from it, and the WaPo etc. do participate in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...