[Spoilers] Episode 104 Discussion

Ran

Here’s an interesting tidbit. HOTD fell off the trending charts for a while, but I guess the incest orgy got people talking again. The weird part is, normally the top trending shows are big in NY/LA/SF, but for some reason HOTD doesn’t have much activity in any of those places and is instead absurdly popular in Philadelphia. The jokes practically write themselves ;)

https://variety.com/t/trending-tv/

3 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I don't understand, if it was supposed to be a tour around the 7 kingdoms, why are lords from the Riverlands at Storm's End? Wouldn't Rhaenyra visit the Rivrerlands anyway?

Nobody wants to be the 787th dude to present himself to Rhaenyra, I could easily see lords running over to meet her the first chance they got.

1 minute ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Here’s an interesting tidbit. HOTD fell off the trending charts for a while, but I guess the incest orgy got people talking again. The weird part is, normally the top trending shows are big in NY/LA/SF, but for some reason HOTD doesn’t have much activity in any of those places and is instead absurdly popular in Philadelphia. The jokes practically write themselves ;)

https://variety.com/t/trending-tv/

In Westeros Philadelphia, born and raised, on the jousting ground I spent most of my days...

4 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Nobody wants to be the 787th dude to present himself to Rhaenyra, I could easily see lords running over to meet her the first chance they got.

But again, that defeats the purpose of a tour. Couldn't they just establish that all the lords gather in one place?

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

33 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Once the swords are drawn she automatically turns and says: "We're leaving." 

Uh, yeah.  Viserys or any father or protector would tell her to/demand she leave.  And no, she doesn't smile at all once the swords come out.  Y'all really need to watch the scene again.

28 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Doesn’t she make the remark about learning to like Blackwood after he draws his sword? 

Nope.  She asks for the next so they can get to supper, then Bracken calls Blackwood craven, then Blackwood draws.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The weird part is, normally the top trending shows are big in NY/LA/SF, but for some reason HOTD doesn’t have much activity in any of those places and is instead absurdly popular in Philadelphia. The jokes practically write themselves ;)

As someone who is not American, I'm definitely missing out on something here.

2 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

But again, that defeats the purpose of a tour. Couldn't they just establish that all the lords gather in one place?

While the tour still is on, why wait if you actually believe you have a chance? I wouldn't. If you're a Lord that doesn't think you have a real shot, you just wait and do your pitch when she arrives, and if it works, it works. It can also be that for someone that is a Lord Paramount, actually travel to Storm's End might be seen as a sign of desperation so best to wait until she comes to your domain, or at least closer by.

45 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I don't understand, if it was supposed to be a tour around the 7 kingdoms, why are lords from the Riverlands at Storm's End? Wouldn't Rhaenyra visit the Rivrerlands anyway?

Ran commented on this a few pages back. They had a Storms End set built that they were only using once. Hard to justify the cost of building a Riverrun set for one scene when 90% of viewers won't notice the slight weirdness.

Now that they know its a hit i'm sure next season will have an even higher budget.

23 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Ran commented on this a few pages back. They had a Storms End set built that they were only using once. Hard to justify the cost of building a Riverrun set for one scene when 90% of viewers won't notice the slight weirdness.

The scene is almost exactly three minutes long, but if they didn't think we'd argue about it endlessly because there were a bunch of dudes wearing sigils and a tween killing a grown man, they clearly didn't know what they were getting themselves into.

44 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Now that they know its a hit i'm sure next season will have an even higher budget.

This is the biggest argument I’ve heard against the Nymeria show, that they’d have to build completely new sets and therefore it would cost a fortune to produce. I also haven’t seen any interest in a Nymeria show among fans, which is a big strike against it. 

Just now, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Sure, but why not adjust the story accordingly?

Yeah, agreed. Ran even said he would have put some stormlords in there. What're you gonna do.

4 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

This is the biggest argument I’ve heard against the Nymeria show, that they’d have to build completely new sets and therefore it would cost a fortune to produce. I also haven’t seen any interest in a Nymeria show among fans, which is a big strike against it. 

I didn't even think about that, once they have all the sets it should be a lot cheaper to do more Fire and Blood or Dunk & Egg/Blackfyre rebellion stuff

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I didn't even think about that, once they have all the sets it should be a lot cheaper to do more Fire and Blood or Dunk & Egg/Blackfyre rebellion stuff

that's true . but I hope they also consider how that gets repetitive pretty quickly.

if there has to be a Westeros TV universe, I think Nymeria show could be really good . they could both have her travels which would basically be the seasnake show and her Dorne wars  which would be GoT/HOTD (with the difference that this princess WINS). besides , won't all the diversity they can have be title worthy? 

2 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

that's true . but I hope they also consider how that gets repetitive pretty quickly.

if there has to be a Westeros TV universe, I think Nymeria show could be really good . they could both have her travels which would basically be the seasnake show and her Dorne wars  which would be GoT/HOTD (with the difference that this princess WINS). besides , won't all the diversity they can have be title worthy? 

True, I guess you can only do so many civil wars we already know the outcome of.

If they do the 10,000 ships show I hope they include their time in Sothoryos. Yeen creeps me out.

There are a bunch of stills from the upcoming episode over on r/houseofthedragon. I’d post them here but they’re spread out over several different posts.

Alicent’s green dress might be the most beautiful costume ever to appear on either HOTD or GOT. Rhaenyra’s wedding dress is also beautiful, but her ridiculous hair kind of kills the look.

24 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, agreed. Ran even said he would have put some stormlords in there. What're you gonna do.

The ancient dude Rhaenyra dares to ridicule is a Dondarrion, which is a marcher (stormland) lord.  Really unless you're screenshotting the scene, the only four houses involved are the Baratheons as hosts, the Dondarrion old dude that needs a drink of water, and the Blackwood and the Bracken.

36 minutes ago, DMC said:

The ancient dude Rhaenyra dares to ridicule is a Dondarrion, which is a marcher (stormland) lord.  Really unless you're screenshotting the scene, the only four houses involved are the Baratheons as hosts, the Dondarrion old dude that needs a drink of water, and the Blackwood and the Bracken.

There was a long line of other lords.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

There are a bunch of stills from the upcoming episode over on r/houseofthedragon. I’d post them here but they’re spread out over several different posts.

Alicent’s green dress might be the most beautiful costume ever to appear on either HOTD or GOT. Rhaenyra’s wedding dress is also beautiful, but her ridiculous hair kind of kills the look.

I take it they’re the sort of clothes medieval royalty wore, rather than the stuff the cenobites wear in Hellraiser, which we got in GOT?

Edited by SeanF