[Spoilers] Rings of Power: Adar, can you hear me?

Ser Drewy

7 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

I believe Annatar will be shown coming to Eregion, and be none of the suspects introduced so far. 

I like the forging of the first (lesser) Ring of Power as a final shot, but it may not be that. 

Someone on twitter expressed what I was hoping for before I had put it into words for myself - a scene with Celebrimbor and Elrond talking, then Celebrimbor casually says, 'Hey, Annatar, hand me those tongs would you?' and the shot pans across to another elf. Perhaps we see him only from the back in that shot. But it makes the point that he's been there the whole time just working in the background. In fact I fully expect them to tease the reveal like that, ie even at the point he is revealed, they won't show his face yet, just a hand or something.

1 minute ago, 3CityApache said:

Yeah, why would he save Galadriel if he was? Makes no sense at all. I don't think we have seen him yet.

Yeah, but not just that. She has been searching for this dude for what, hundreds of years? And then she just bumps into him in the middle of the ocean? GTFOH.

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, but not just that. She has been searching for this dude for what, hundreds of years? And then she just bumps into him in the middle of the ocean? GTFOH.

But then something happened The Ring Sauron did not intend. It was picked by the most unlikely creature imaginable He went on a sea voyage where his ship got destroyed by a sea monster and he hooked up with the elf that's been hunting him. 

6 hours ago, Isis said:

Someone on twitter expressed what I was hoping for before I had put it into words for myself - a scene with Celebrimbor and Elrond talking, then Celebrimbor casually says, 'Hey, Annatar, hand me those tongs would you?' and the shot pans across to another elf. Perhaps we see him only from the back in that shot. But it makes the point that he's been there the whole time just working in the background. In fact I fully expect them to tease the reveal like that, ie even at the point he is revealed, they won't show his face yet, just a hand or something.

This is actually a good approach. I like it because they can do it without raising suspicions about that particular character being Sauron, especially if they go with some name other than Annatar. 

But speculations of who Halbrand, Meteor Man, Adar and Annatar are is getting out of hand now, there are some people saying Poppy is Sauron, and I am not entirely sure they are joking. 

If they stick to the story though, I expect Annatar to approach Gil-Galad or Galadriel first, with some kind of gift, maybe when Galadriel gets back to Lindon, maybe something that can help tackle the ongoings in the Southlands. This is why I think Meteor Man or Halbrand cannot be Annatar, because neither of them have anything to offer to Gil-Galad.  I hope they do not skip the initial skepticism of Annatar by Gil-Galad before Annatar shows up in Eregion.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

But then something happened The Ring Sauron did not intend. It was picked by the most unlikely creature imaginable He went on a sea voyage where he's ship got destroyed a sea monster and he hooked up with the elf that's been hunting him. 

This is Galadriel's line. Is she narrating the edited text too? Then her interactions with Halbrand make no sense, unless she's in the know and plans to use her knowledge against him.

2 hours ago, farerb said:

Because he wants her to join him and be his queen. I don't really care, I just want Galadriel and Sauron to F.

:lol:

I would love this. And Galadriel becomes pregnant before she realizes the identity of her great nemesis. She returns home with a daughter, whom Celeborn claims as his own when he marries Galadriel, and with whom Elrond eventually falls in love, in a definitely not creepy Tale of Genji sort of way.

That's why Arwen's fate was connected to the One Ring in the movies. She was Sauron's granddaughter. It all makes sense!

4 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Yeah, why would he save Galadriel if he was? Makes no sense at all. I don't think we have seen him yet.

Likewise, I dont think we have seen Sauron yet. But if we have, Halbrand clearly is the candidate that makes the most sense. But I dont think thats what his character is, despite the fact that he is very smart and manipulating others and that they made a point of showing how much he loves the forge, even having the character say there is no one on Numenor with more skills at it. Also him advising Pharazon from behind his cell is a clear Sauronesque hint. However it would mean Galadriel has been tremendously duped by him, and since they have decided that she is front and center of this show and incredibly good at anything, that seems unlikely.

Its obviously not the Stranger, that is very clear after episode 3.

I also dont think its Adar, that really seems to me to be an invented Dark Elf character, which is potentially interesting in its own right. Nothing about him says Sauron to me.

19 hours ago, Isis said:

Moving on - what are people's thoughts on whether Annatar is already at work, 'influencing', in Eregion? 

As we are halfway through season one now, what do we think might be the closing shot of this season? Mystics? Eruption of Mount Doom? Sauron/Annatar reveal? The Stranger remembers who he is? First ring gets forged?

I dont think we have seen anything that leads us to believe Annatar is already at work in Eregion. That might still come, but as I recall they did say in one of the interviews that the first season is about the return of Sauron, so I do expect we will see him at the end, either as Sauron or as Annatar. I also expect that in the other 4 episodes we will see a lot more on the Stranger and it would be nice if the character could move past the mumbling amnesiac stage and take action in some way. Ring forging yes, also expect to see that towards the end.

I would add to the speculation, whats up with the Mithril in Khazad Dum which is clearly an important part and will we see a Balrog towards the end of this season? It feels like it, and I would like for that to happen.

1 hour ago, slant said:

This is actually a good approach. I like it because they can do it without raising suspicions about that particular character being Sauron, especially if they go with some name other than Annatar. 

If they stick to the story though, I expect Annatar to approach Gil-Galad or Galadriel first, with some kind of gift, maybe when Galadriel gets back to Lindon, maybe something that can help tackle the ongoings in the Southlands. This is why I think Meteor Man or Halbrand cannot be Annatar, because neither of them have anything to offer to Gil-Galad.  I hope they do not skip the initial skepticism of Annatar by Gil-Galad before Annatar shows up in Eregion.

I think this is a good approach to the Sauron - sending Durin to Lindon with Elrond would be a good time to have the reveal, have the dwarves be interested in rings, etc.  They still haven’t explained why Celebrimbor needed the tower on a timeline or GGs interesr, and that could play into it.

1 hour ago, fionwe1987 said:

This is Galadriel's line. Is she narrating the edited text too? Then her interactions with Halbrand make no sense, unless she's in the know and plans to use her knowledge against him.

I was merely comparing the line from Jackson's LOTR, which I'm pretty sure is taken from something Gandalf says to Frodo, to the ridiculous scenario we have here if Halbrand does turn out to be Sauron.

49 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I was merely comparing the line from Jackson's LOTR, which I'm pretty sure is taken from something Gandalf says to Frodo, to the ridiculous scenario we have here if Halbrand does turn out to be Sauron.

Sorry, mine was meant as a joke, not a rebuttal. Totally get what you were doing there, lol. 

50 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

I think this is a good approach to the Sauron - sending Durin to Lindon with Elrond would be a good time to have the reveal, have the dwarves be interested in rings, etc.  They still haven’t explained why Celebrimbor needed the tower on a timeline or GGs interesr, and that could play into it.

Oo this is good! If Halbrand, Galadriel, GG, Durin and Elrond all end up at Lindon at the same time, which is when the Annatar reveal occurs, it would represent each of the races that get the rings. Maybe Galadriel and GG are not impressed by whatever gifts Annatar has to offer, but Durin is, who takes Annatar to Eregion, where he is welcomed by Celebrimbor. 

Leads me to believe Halbrand can be one of the nine men? Even though he does not have a kingdom. 

Is there any hint on what Celebrimbor is building? I hope they show the construction of the Doors of Durin, and sealing it with the password known to elves. Maybe even show the ancestor of the Watcher, but that's too much to hope for! 

Anyway, the tower does looks like one of the towers in Numenor. As others have pointed out before, he is an elf, I don't see why he needs to hurry. 

The invention of new characters has created a need to explain them as existing characters from the Tolkien Legendarium. 

I think we should accept that there are going to be genuinely new characters, and even Halbrand, Adar and Meteor Man may be one of them (I don't think so for Meteor Man, but kind of, willing to go there). 

There are just two reasons for Halbrand being Annatar, one is that it would be poetic injustice for Galadriel to be looking for him everywhere, while he finds her and stays under her nose. The other is he likes forges. Galadriel has guessed his origins, there has to be something that Halbrand can offer as lord of gifts, he has nothing. 

For Meteor Man to be Annatar, the clues are the broken ankle, the dying fireflies, and the claim by the old man that it is the sign for Sauron's appearance. Meteor Man is closely linked to the Hobbits, has possibly showed up in a rock lobbed from Valinor, and as far as we know, there is only one of him. Sure he may be Gandalf or even Saruman... but if so there has to be a Radagast out there too at least. If it is Gandalf, we need to see the other two... preferably also as red comets. I just don't see Annatar pushing a Harfoot cart for any reason. 

For Adar to be Sauron, the clues are he is in the Southlands, is leading the orcs, and is actually ambiguously introduced as one of the many possible names of Annatar. However, the Beleriand part is sketchy, there is more to Adar's background that we do not know, but he is the closest match to possibly be Sauron so far. 

All three of them are in the wrong place, and with the wrong appearance. Annatar should have some skill and power, and a disguise. He should have some gifts. He should be offering the elves, men and dwarves something. Everything going on in the Southlands is just one part of the plan. The solution, I think, are the rings, which Sauron will offer. 

Anyway, I am just surfacing my thoughts, not imposing my opinions on anyone ^^ Would really like to hear other possibilities, explanations and theories. 

1 hour ago, slant said:

one is that it would be poetic injustice for Galadriel to be looking for him everywhere, while he finds her and stays under her nose.

It would also be the stupidest writing on this show, if it turns out to be true. 

Why was Sauron around Valinor? Did he know Galadriel would jump? Why did he know that when she didn't know it herself? 

Archived