[Spoilers] Rings of Power: Adar, can you hear me?

Ser Drewy

3 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

The Meteor flies from west to east seemingly appearing from valinor. Do we know of anyone who poses to be someone from valinor in the second age? Why yes  yes we do.

^If it flew west to East from Valinor, then it would have gone from Lindon to Rhovanion in a straight line, over Eregion and Moria, it has to take a detour via the Southlands. 

Also yes, it is most likely from Valinor, missed opportunity for Galadriel and Elrond to see it too (though its path would have been complicated if it flew over Eregion). This could have easily been fixed by making Galadriel see the comet before jumping off, instead of Arondir. They could have kept the ent seeing it between Gil-Galad, Elrond before landing in Rhovanion with the Harfoots. 

23 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Ulmo doesn't do that. Osse does.

Osse likely sent the storm. Not sure if he sent the sea monster. But regardless, Osse is pretty powerful, too.

22 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Other than the fact sauron literally does this when numenor is sunk? The Vala certainly do it in the first age. It's implied Morgoth does it in the first age. Gandalf does it in the third age. 

It takes him a while to actually get back to Mordor.

18 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

The Meteor flies from west to east seemingly appearing from valinor. Do we know of anyone who poses to be someone from valinor in the second age? Why yes  yes we do.

Except about the only person who may theorize that the meteor came from Valinor is Gil-Galad just because of his location. Everyone else would still need an announcement from Sauron's mouth that he came as a messenger from the Valar. Plus if the meteor did, in fact, come from Valinor then that means it can't be Sauron.

26 minutes ago, slant said:

Oof this one is a real googly lol. The Red Comet flies south over Lindon, avoiding Eregion and Moria, or else Elrond would be shown seeing it too... then it takes a hard right and passes over Rohan, heads towards the Southlands, then turns a hard right again heading towards Rhovanion, where the Harfoots are. So essentially the path is possible only if the Red Comet is also Eru's Boomerang. Meteor Man had one very complicated flight path. 

Elrond does see it along with Celebrimbor and two Elf guards. So presumably they were somewhere between Lindon and Eregion. Yes, the Southlands is really the problematic geographical part about this.

It's really unfortunate for this show that it came out at the same time as House of the Dragon. The contrast between the two is hurting Rings of Power even more.

Film students should be shown Rings of Power and House of the Dragon side-by-side so they can learn the difference between good and bad writing.

I’m still struggling to finish the 3rd episode. Honestly some of it is REALLY badly done. I take back my opinion of the show being fine, it’s actually flat at bad at times. 

Halbrand stealing a Guild brooch was so poorly shot and written, I really thought I was watching an episode of Xena warrior Princess! Honestly what is the difference? There were similar scenes I remember in GoT but even that was better done than this. 

But then you contrast that with these sweeping landscape scenes and it’s really jarring.

The scenes in Numenor are so soapy and low quality, Elendil is like a soap actor, feels like he’s smelling his farts the whole time. 

The scenes are shot in such a ‘made for tv’ manner as well, so comparing it for movies is night and day. Flat 2 shots , simplistic scenes and a real lack of flair make this all feel very much more like a tv show than a movie. At times it seems so expensive but the next it feels incredibly cheap 

Came across this article comparing the two shows bashing the show by a professor of English literature

Missed Elrond seeing the comet before, yeah. so Gil-Galad. Elrond, Arondir, Ent and Harfoots see the comet. The comet would have had to move East from Lindon towards Eregion and then suddenly gone around the Misty Mountains, south and east into Mordor, then it would have to move north and west to end up where the Harfoots are

8 minutes ago, slant said:

Came across this article comparing the two shows by a professor of English literature

"Morfydd Clark’s ninja-like Galadriel acts in ways that are less than heroic at times. In episode one, for example, Galadriel eviscerates a snow troll whose only crime (other than not being an elf) is to have the temerity to defend his cave from the warriors who have invaded it. My sympathies were with the clumsy, inarticulate beast, as I’m sure many people’s were."

Uhh, ok. I'm very grateful that in 2000, when Fellowship released, we didn't yet have thinkpieces about how the poor troll in Moria was the real hero of the story.

Edit: Also, it doesn't compare the two shows? It only mentions House of the Dragon by quoting a reviewer making the comparison. Anyway, whatever the flaws or successes of this show and HOTD and our opinions on them, I would use neither as examples of great writing, and I hope film students in the future study neither for that reason.

3 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

"Morfydd Clark’s ninja-like Galadriel acts in ways that are less than heroic at times. In episode one, for example, Galadriel eviscerates a snow troll whose only crime (other than not being an elf) is to have the temerity to defend his cave from the warriors who have invaded it. My sympathies were with the clumsy, inarticulate beast, as I’m sure many people’s were."

Uhh, ok. I'm very grateful that in 2000, when Fellowship released, we didn't yet have thinkpieces about how the poor troll in Moria was the real hero of the story.

Those existed at some considerable length, mainly because Jackson went to some lengths to try to portray the troll sympathetically (ish), more of a dangerous dog that has to be put down than an evil creature. In the behind the scenes (which I've been watching all day) they even indicate the cave troll is a slave of the orcs and forced to fight for them because they feed him and they use whips and spears to hurt him if he refuses to obey.

15 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Also, that'd be a way to have "Sauron" show up in multiple places (Halbrand/Meteor Man/Adar) at the same time, as they are all candidates.

Alas, the writers do not appear to be this clever. 

3 hours ago, farerb said:

What if Theo is Halbrand's child? We know that Halbrand is from the Southlands and that Bronwyn is a single mother.

I could see this, and Halbrand doesn't have to be Suron for this story to work.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

They can in Valinor, I don't think there's a strong indication they can in Middle-earth. One would assume they'd have used that power a lot more often than they would have done. Sauron could shapeshift (at least in the First Age, not later on), but we don't seem him turning into a ghost to, for example, avoid being defeated by Huan or Eonwe during the War of Wrath.

Yeah I agree they cannot just teleport, and I'm not sure they could even in Valinor. From this entry in the Unfinished Tales about the Istari:

Then Manwë asked, where was Olórin? And Olórin, who was clad in grey, and having just entered from a journey had seated himself at the edge of the council, asked what Manwë would have of him. 

It is possible Olorin was returning from Middle Earth, of course, but this text makes it clear he didn't just teleport in.

37 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Those existed at some considerable length, mainly because Jackson went to some lengths to try to portray the troll sympathetically (ish), more of a dangerous dog that has to be put down than an evil creature. In the behind the scenes (which I've been watching all day) they even indicate the cave troll is a slave of the orcs and forced to fight for them because they feed him and they use whips and spears to hurt him if he refuses to obey.

Always liked that detail. Obviously PJ was inspired by the Rancor and its trainer in RotJ.

I have looked at the clip of what Galadriel does to that creature and I have to say there's a deliberately cruelty in the depiction (no doubt to show just how powerful she is and how far more deadly she is than the combined skills of the warriors of the Fellowship) that you don't see in LotR when everyone is just trying to find a way to survive the troll. 

2 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Thought this would be interesting, but not only there's no comparison between the 2 shows, is yet another Tolkien fanboy whining the show isn't what he wanted...

Thank you for saying what I have been thinking.  

There is not an adaptation of any book, anywhere that hasn’t disappointed fans in some way, let alone adapting what is barely an outline of a story, as is the case with ROP.

Heck, Aranofsky got crap for doing an interpretation of the Noah story in film  for not being “kid friendly like Veggie tales.”

The parental viewership of ROP is 14 and up.  Though I believe it was intended for 12 and up. So the story telling and dialogue is as simplified as possible.

BTW, I have one theory for why the Tolkien Family/Estate is holding onto the Silmarillion.  At some point they may want to produce a film/tv show/radio production themselves.  

Then the complaining will be even more vicious and unmoored.

Gandalf didn’t go to Valinor when he died, he left Arda and went to the Timeless Halls, and where then sent back by Illuvatar Himself (see Tolkiens letter 156).

Since Sauron still can shapeshift, he can appear as more than one character in the story, but not two characters that are very far away. But it is possible that he both is Adar and a seemingly nicer character in Eregion. By the way, Sauron probably was interested in smithing in itself, since he began as an maia attached to Aule.

And I still think meteorman is the Man in the Moon, and thus the origin in the tale of the song Frodo sings at the Prancing Pony.

Looking at the maps carefully, trying to figure the timelines and the path of the comet... The show map is some strange version where Eregion and Rhovanion is much more to the south than they should be, Southlands has a lake where there should be mountains! The maps may be self-contradicting, as in only the ones used in the show. 

1 hour ago, SuperHans said:

Please can people stop putting Silmarillion spoilers in this thread. If you really must show us how deep your knowledge is, the least you can do is tag that shit. 

It's a dreadful novel, so I'm guessing many people here have never read it. I mean, I tried.... 

if you hate The Silmarillon so much… why do you care about spoilers.

7 hours ago, Nabarg said:

I wouldn’t call the Silmarillion a novel. If you, wrongly, try to judge it as a novel it will not appear good. Just as wagnerian opera is very bad considered as jazz. The Silmarillion is myth.

Doesn't change the fact that this thread contains countless violations of this site's spoiler policy. 

Archived