Barristan Selmy's character development

During A Dance With Dragons we begin to see the story through the events of Ser Barristan Selmy while he's serving Daenerys in Meereen, with him becoming a POW.

During his chapters we begin to see the internal doubts and struggles that Barristan goes through, being still haunted about his failures during Robert's Rebellion and wondering if he has lost his honor, but also if he did the right choice by saving Aerys at Duskendale and ironically wondering if Jaime Lannister did in fact the right choice by killing Aerys (an irony he notes himself).

We also begin to see him deciding that he's through doing just the things honor dictate him, and to act more like a political player to keep Meereen in control until Daenerys' return, with him relucdantly teaming up with Skahaz, plotting and organising a coup against Hizdahr zo Loraq, who he imprisonned, and taking control of Meereen after proclaiming himself Daenerys' Hand before organising the city defenses against the slaver cities' armies. At some point he even offers Pentos to the Tattered Prince if he protects the hostages in the Yunkish camp, a move he would have certainely never done when he was still a kingsguard in Westeros.

With that in mind we can perfectly imagine that Barristan Selmy's development as a more cynical and cunning character is going to continue in The Winds of Winter, and in A Dream of Spring if he survives the terrible winter that is to come, something that is surely going to be exacerbated by Daenerys' return with her having embraced her more ruthless side, and the arrival of Tyrion Lannister as well.

How much more cynical and willing to break rules and go against chivalrous honor do you think that Barristan will become ? Could he reach a point where he could do something as grave as Jaime did when he snapped and turned on Aerys after the Mad King ordered him to kill his father and then ordered the burning of King's Landing ?

How will his relation with Daenerys evolve, and what will be his relations with Tyrion and Dany's other new advisors such as the Tattered Prince or Moqoro ? Also how do you imagine his reunion and interactions with Jaime if the two meet again ?

Baristan has had a lot of regrets , serving the likes of Robert and Joffrey. It is not too late though. He finally has a monarch worthy of his loyalty and fealty in Daenerys Targaryen. She is everything one could hope for in a ruling monarch and Barristan has found his true monarch. Daenerys is very intelligent and brave. Barristan has a lot to work with, unlike with Robert and Joffrey. 

ASOIAF is full of moments when a character must make a difficult choice:  love versus honor, being caught between conflicting oaths, etc.  Ser Barristan and Davos are two of my favorite characters, because of how they always chose the path that best serves their king or queen.  I love this moment when Daenerys is confronting Barristan and Mormont about their deceptions:

“What if I decide you’re only worthy to be my fool?” Dany asked scornfully. “Or perhaps my cook?”

“I would be honored, Your Grace,” Selmy said with quiet dignity. “I can bake apples and boil beef as well as any man, and I’ve roasted many a duck over a campfire. I hope you like them greasy, with charred skin and bloody bones.”

That made her smile. (ASOS 71)

Barristan considers himself to be just holding the fort (literally and figuratively, LOL) until Daenerys returns.  If and when she does, I expect that he will gladly step back into his role as her Queensguard.  He doesn't seem to have any interest in being a player in the game of thrones.  But if Daenerys starts to turn into a Mad Queen, then he might decide to learn from experience, and take some action against her.

I suspect we need to compare Brienne and Ser Barristan in order to find clues about each character. As you point out, Ser Barristan was caught between loyalty to Aerys (his oath) and his wish for honor. Brienne is caught between her bond with Jaime and her oath to Catelyn, who has turned into a monster. Maybe Jaime is another example of this kings guard archetype, as he has been caught between honor and glory (the names of his horses), his oath and his loves, his sense of decency and his Lannister swagger. 

If you suspect Brienne might kill Lady Stoneheart, that might offer clues about Ser Barristan and Dany's eventual denouement. 

I hope we will find out more about Ser Barristan's true origins in the last books. I think he was a highborn bastard and his pedigree was sanitized by sending him to be fostered or adopted by House Selmy. Seems a likely dragonseed to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

We only knew Barristan from the eyes of other characters.  We learned more about him after Martin gave him his own chapters.  He is more than a fighting man.  His development is the revelation of the man inside the armor.  Barristan will convince Dany to pack her troops and sail for Westeros.  They want to preserve the best of her troops for the restoration of the Targaryen monarchy.  All the slaves will leave Meereen to follow Dany on her campaign.  They will be the new people of Westeros after the big thaw. 

Selmy is held as a paragon of knightly virtues, both physical and otherwise. His reputation of honor and duty remain legendary.   I wonder, however, would not honor have dictated that he take the Black after Robert's rebellion? He was elevated to the Targaryen King's guard and served honorably. With the end of that reign he had a choice.  Either accept the Usurper's offer to serve a new King he recently opposed or not. His choice was neither wrong nor right but it demonstrated the "flexibility" he was willing to accommodate in his sense of honor. I'm not sure his narrative has much more to offer the story. He will pass the torch to his new generation of "knights" under his charge in Essos and pave the way for his Queen's eventual return, but I don't see him surviving much beyond the coming battle. 

Barristan best exemplify what a noble knight should be.  He made a mistake long ago when he accepted Robert's pardon.  He was loyal to the office and the order when he should have been loyal to the Targaryens.  He should have left the KG and searched for King Viserys 3.  The Gods are giving him another chance.  He serves the monarch of Westeros, Daenerys Targaryen.  I think the Gods will grant him enough years to see that she sits on the Iron Throne.  Ser Barristan Selmy will end his days a happy man. 

Barristan will begin to lose faith in Dany as she turns into Aerys. Ashara is Lemore and will attempt to induce Barristan over to Aegon's side. Barristan will turn cloak from Dany to Aegon, adding much legitimacy to Aegon's cause and damaging Dany's. So he'll judge monarchs and play the game of thrones as he despises the "worst of them" for doing.

The point won't be Barristan was good and then becomes evil, the point will be don't judge too harshly, all these situations are very tricky and the right path not always clear.

Barristan exists as much for Jaime's arc as Dany's, one of the surviving old school Kingsguard to judge Jaime by.

I really like Barristan and hope he survives longer than I think he will. As he says in his own mind, he’s not made for the politicking and deception. He does his best but he’s absolutely being manipulated by the Shavepate (whom I also really want to trust and like but I don’t). I sadly see a dark end for Barristan where possibly he saves the city but watches in horror as his young knights have early success but fall before he himself is betrayed. I’m not really offering any support for this, I hope it doesn’t go down like that, but I think honorable characters pay a heavy price in this story and few get to turn things around all the way. 
the classic “I’ll be right back” or “I’ll tell you the next time we meet” and it just never happens does it?

I’ll pray for Selmy though.

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2022 at 3:09 PM, Mark of the West said:

Selmy is held as a paragon of knightly virtues, both physical and otherwise. His reputation of honor and duty remain legendary.   I wonder, however, would not honor have dictated that he take the Black after Robert's rebellion? He was elevated to the Targaryen King's guard and served honorably. With the end of that reign he had a choice.  Either accept the Usurper's offer to serve a new King he recently opposed or not. His choice was neither wrong nor right but it demonstrated the "flexibility" he was willing to accommodate in his sense of honor. I'm not sure his narrative has much more to offer the story. He will pass the torch to his new generation of "knights" under his charge in Essos and pave the way for his Queen's eventual return, but I don't see him surviving much beyond the coming battle. 

I hope Barristan survives to see Daenerys sit on the iron throne.  His "boys" in training reflects the multi-cultural composition of the Daenerys Targaryen administration.  It leads me to believe the birth of a new Great Empire of the Dawn is coming and Daenerys will be the empress.  The Dothraki, Ghiscari, and Westerosi will make up most of the Empire. 

Archived