Number 3

Quoth the raven,

Three.  This number is a significant theme in the story of the protagonists.  Daenerys is a daughter of House Targaryen.  The Child Of Three.  A house founded by three siblings who rode three dragons.  The family banner is a three-headed dragon.   The post about Alleras and the three apples brought up the significance of the three.  We already know that Sphinx, Sarella, is important to Daenerys. 

The novels make use of parallels, symmetry, mirroring, history repeating, necromancy, and reincarnation.  Sarella is the mirror image of Daenerys.  Daenerys succeeds on the third attempt.  Sarella fails on the third attempt.  Three is the lucky number for Daenerys while it is the opposite for Sarella.  The story of Pate and Rose is the parallel to Aegon and Arrianne.  Aegon will give up a dragon to win Arrianne's affection but he, like Pate, will fail. 

Sarella is not necessarily going to ride a dragon.  People assume the phrase "the dragon must have three heads" mean there will be three riders.  I say it does not necessarily mean that.  Remember that the  word dragon is also used to describe House Targaryen.  It doesn't take a special Targaryen to hatch dragon eggs.  The dragons hatched like a chicken egg, on their own time.  Daenerys is more than a Targaryen.  She is special because she was able to bring the dragons back from stone.  She is the 3-Headed Dragon.  The only Targaryen who has 3 dragons.  Azor Ahai succeeded in the third try to make the sword.  Daenerys is the reincarnation of Azor Ahai. 

There will be war within the walls of the citadel.  Sarella will be on one side of that war.  Sarella will find evidence of the maesters undermining and sabotaging the Targaryens for three hundred years.  This is evidence which she can bring to Daenerys.  She might also bring Oberyn's bastards to her side.  A copy of "Signs and Portents" would be a terrific gift. 

4 minutes ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

Alleras will have his own following among the students and he will convince them to support Daenerys

She his motha or wot?

4 minutes ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

I can see a division forming in the school with the younger ones supporting the Targaryen restoration. 

Escaped Oracle from Delphi! Did I see a missing poster or summin'?

I don't think there is going to be a civil war in the Citadel. They are mostly neutral. During previous wars they don't seem to have taken a side (at least openly). They just serve whoever sits the Throne. If push comes to shove they will prioritise the safety of their own order over anything, I suspect. But I don't think armed factions will form and the Citadel will start fighting itself over which Targaryen to support.

The apples symbolize knowledge.  What better place for Sarella to look for knowledge than the university of Westeros.  She will learn some but not enough.  This is where the 2/3 come in.  It may be Samwell who will find whatever that piece of the puzzle is.  Maester Aemon was looking for a way to help Daenerys.  Sarella and Samwell will carry on Aemon's will and help in that regard. 

9 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

The apples symbolize knowledge.  What better place for Sarella to look for knowledge than the university of Westeros. 

Yes.  Like the apple in the garden of Eden in the bible.  I wonder if that knowledge will benefit or harm Sarella. It hurt Eve and led to her expulsion from the garden.

She will learn some but not enough.  This is where the 2/3 come in.  It may be Samwell who will find whatever that piece of the puzzle is.  Maester Aemon was looking for a way to help Daenerys.  Sarella and Samwell will carry on Aemon's will and help in that regard. 

Sarella is one of the Sand Snakes.  She and they have as their goal the downfall of the Lannisters.  They want the throne. Dornish law allows for female rule.  I do not believe for one minute that the snakes will be happy simply having son of Elia on the throne.  They want it all.  Sarella wants a dragon.  Her third attempt to bond with a dragon will not go well for her.  Those who play with fire get burned.

Samwell will indeed carry on Aemon's wish to help Daenerys.  It will be Samwell who connects the dots and discovers proof that Daenerys is Azor Ahai.  He will be instrumental in bringing her the news of the Others.

Alleras is an amalgamation of family blood lines.  She does not know her own origin.  I agree with those who propose her a Targaryen bastard.  A bastard of either Aerys or Rhaegar.  Maester Aemon wanted to help Dany.  Samwell will discover the family lineage of the Sphinx and reveal her for a Targaryen bastard.  This obviously creates conflict with Aegon because this Alleras does not seem like the kind to just accept an unproven claimant.  Bastards are not seen the same way in Dorne.  Girls are not limited in Dorne the way they usually are in the upper parts of Westeros.  

Names are not chosen in random.  George considers the naming carefully.  The "3" swirls around Daenerys and is part of her.  Even the 3 syllable name.  This number seems partly important to Alleras down to the 3 syllable name.  Daenerys is the three-headed dragon. The dragon with three heads.  Alleras is the three falling apples.  What does it mean to the larger picture?  Daenerys and Alleras will be two of the dragon riders.  This is only a guess but I believe the third will be Missandei.  I will have to watch Missandei carefully to look for patterns of "3" around her.  

There will be other people who will try to mount Rhaegal and Viserion before Alleras and Missandei. Aegon and Gerold Dayne may try.  The dragons will not react well and the would-be jockeys will be dissapointed.  Alleras reminds me of Nettles.  Missandei is reminiscent of that kid in the Ice Dragon short story.  While Daenerys is Aegon the Conqueror.  

The Citadel is a micro-model of Westeros.  Jon began an avalanche when he cast aside his duty and brought the Stark conflict to the wall.  This act of abandoning his vows because of his lingering loyalties to House Stark will bring down the wall.  The same thing will happen in The Citadel.  Leo, Sarella, Sam, and the other boys will give in to their feelings and ignore what their heads are telling them.  They will bring family quarrels with them to The Citadel.  The faceless man could possibly do something to trigger those emotions and sow discord among the apprentices.  The Wall, Citadel, and KL represent institutions of stability in Westeros.  Cersei and the Sparrows are wrecking KL. Jon wrecked the Wall.  It may ultimately be Sam who will take a wrecking ball to The Citadel.  

3 hours ago, Rondo said:

Jon began an avalanche when he cast aside his duty and brought the Stark conflict to the wall.  This act of abandoning his vows because of his lingering loyalties to House Stark will bring down the wall.

It physically cannot. If you mean metaphorically, it can't either, because Jon didn't bring the conflict to the wall, it came to him, and Jon won't bring down the wall anyway because he is doing everything he can to defend it.

3 hours ago, Rondo said:

Jon wrecked the Wall. 

Bowen Marsh wrecked the wall.

On 9/12/2022 at 10:54 PM, Quoth the raven, said:

The novels make use of parallels, symmetry, mirroring, history repeating, necromancy, and reincarnation.  Sarella is the mirror image of Daenerys.  Daenerys succeeds on the third attempt.  Sarella fails on the third attempt.  Three is the lucky number for Daenerys while it is the opposite for Sarella.  

Sarella is not necessarily going to ride a dragon.  People assume the phrase "the dragon must have three heads" mean there will be three riders.  I say it does not necessarily mean that.  Remember that the  word dragon is also used to describe House Targaryen.  It doesn't take a special Targaryen to hatch dragon eggs.  The dragons hatched like a chicken egg, on their own time.  Daenerys is more than a Targaryen.  She is special because she was able to bring the dragons back from stone.  She is the 3-Headed Dragon.  The only Targaryen who has 3 dragons.  Azor Ahai succeeded in the third try to make the sword.  Daenerys is the reincarnation of Azor Ahai.

:agree:

Archived