US politics: Rovenber is coming.

Varysblackfyre321

I’m really perplexed by Graham’s move to introduce a nationwide abortion ban bill… now.  Why would Republicans who have been running away from the “Robb” decision… claiming it isn’t an attack on women’s rights, that it simply leaves “abortion up to the States”, want to highlight an issue that has been hurting them in traditionally “Red” areas like Kansas and Alaska?  Did Graham say the quiet part loud?

https://www.axios.com/2022/09/13/lindsey-graham-national-abortion-restrictions-bill

I'd want a better speaker if I was going to join a cult. She sounds like she's giving a vaguely motivational talk to  a work group or new college students. How cool is that? She manages to make the second coming dull.

So this Judge Deary is apparently not retired, as TFG's lawyers claimed, and may not be eligible to serve as SM.

Meanwhile,

DOJ sends some 40 subpoenas to Trump aides

The subpoenas are a step forward in the investigation of the events leading up to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/12/justice-subpoena-trump-aides-00056274

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m really perplexed by Graham’s move to introduce a nationwide abortion ban bill… now.

I really don't get it either.  The idea is apparently to show that a 15 week ban is a "middle-ground" between the Dems and a complete ban but..that's simply not where the American public is.  You'd expect this after the midterms, not before.

46 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

So this Judge Deary is apparently not retired, as TFG's lawyers claimed, and may not be eligible to serve as SM.

I have no idea about the eligibility for special masters, but Dearie took senior status back in 2011, so he's semi-retired.  Anyway, based on his career history it seems clear why the DOJ would prefer him over Trump's other nominee Paul Huck Jr.  Frankly it's more confusing why Trump nominated him in the first place considering Dearie's stint on the FISA court.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

I really don't get it either.  The idea is apparently to show that a 15 week ban is a "middle-ground" between the Dems and a complete ban but..that's simply not where the American public is.  You'd expect this after the midterms, not before.

50 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Could Lindsey be playing 5th column in a manner that the QNut base can’t really complain about?

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Could Lindsey be playing 5th column in a manner that the QNut base can’t really complain about?

Well, he's reportedly going to announce the proposal at press conference today with leaders of anti-abortion groups, so it's pretty clear where he's getting pressure from.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, he's reportedly going to announce the proposal at press conference today with leaders of anti-abortion groups, so it's pretty clear where he's getting pressure from.

Given what has happened in other “red” Locales Graham has to know this is a poor tactical move.  He’s not on the ballot this November and isn’t up again until 2026.  This is really weird…

57 minutes ago, DMC said:

I have no idea about the eligibility for special masters, but Dearie took senior status back in 2011, so he's semi-retired.  Anyway, based on his career history it seems clear why the DOJ would prefer him over Trump's other nominee Paul Huck Jr.  Frankly it's more confusing why Trump nominated him in the first place considering Dearie's stint on the FISA court.

Oh, I agree they'd prefer him over the other one. Which makes me suspicious as to why they suggested Dearie in the first place...

55 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Oh, I agree they'd prefer him over the other one. Which makes me suspicious as to why they suggested Dearie in the first place...

Oh come on. They just made a mistake. Why do you think that the same person whose criteria for endorsing a U.S. Senate candidate are simply a combination of A)Have they kissed my ass lately? and B)Do they have any celebrity status?  would necessarily be competent in suggesting "special masters" that would be in his pocket? And of course Trump himself wouldn't have come up with the names for the special masters -- it would have been his lawyers, and in the past whatever lawyers he has hired haven't always shown themselves to be especially competent. The fact that they didn't get Dearie's retirement status completely correct in their description of him shows they really didn't know as much about him as they needed to. 

That's all possible.  It's also possible they knew that the status problem might buy them a couple more weeks.

As for Graham, I assume it's for the base, he has to keep them happy until his next primary - far away as it is. Can't harm to put in the extra mile, otherwise an even nuttier candidate might challenge him.

16 minutes ago, mormont said:

The suggestion of Dearie could have been a clumsy bluff, assuming that the DoJ wouldn't agree to anyone the Trump team suggested on principle. 

Munk Institute training kicks in: if we give them credit for competence, they can suggest an acceptable special master, get agreement, then later withdraw that nomination because reasons. Meantime they have successfully changed the argument from ‘should there be a special master’ to ‘who should be special master’.

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

As for Graham, I assume it's for the base, he has to keep them happy until his next primary - far away as it is. Can't harm to put in the extra mile, otherwise an even nuttier candidate might challenge him.

QNut candidates haven’t, for the most part, done well in South Carolina.  I don’t think Graham has much to worry about on that score, for now.

House Oversight Committee asks Archives if Trump still possesses presidential records

The committee’s chairwoman, Rep. Carolyn Maloney, a New York Democrat, also is requesting in the letter that the National Archives and Records Administration, or NARA, seek a “personal certification” from Trump that he has turned over all presidential records he “illegally removed” from the White House. (...)

On August 24, NARA staff informed the committee that the agency is not certain whether all presidential records are in its possession, according to Maloney’s letter. (...)

Maloney not only asks NARA to seek from Trump a personal certification in writing that he surrendered all presidential as well as classified materials but also that he “has not made any copies or reproductions of such materials, and has not transferred any records or government documents to any party other than NARA or DOJ since his term ended.”

The letter notes that Trump’s former national security adviser, John Bolton, expressed concern the former President “might have transferred classified documents to other clubs, such as Bedminster National Golf Club, where he recently hosted a professional golf tournament sponsored and attended by foreign nationals.”

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/13/politics/house-oversight-committee-trump-national-archives/index.html

Senate Judiciary Committee to investigate former US attorney’s claim that Trump DOJ pressured his office to ‘aid them politically’

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/12/politics/judiciary-committee-investigation-trump-doj-geoffrey-berman/index.html

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

QNut candidates haven’t, for the most part, done well in South Carolina.  I don’t think Graham has much to worry about on that score, for now.

Maybe it's a move to try to look 'moderate' on the issue.  He's already reframing it as a "late term abortion ban".  If Trump doesn't run maybe LG's got his eye on another Presidential bid.  Could be for fundraising purposes too.

PHOENIX (AP) — An interviewer asked Arizona Republican Senate candidate Blake Masters to pick a “subversive thinker” whom people should know more about.

Masters gave it some thought and came up with a risky response for someone running for elected office.

He picked the Unabomber.

“I’ll probably get in trouble for saying this,” Masters responded. “How about, like, Theodore Kaczynski?”

Oh, not the bombing ofc...

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-technology-presidential-arizona-2fe9856ac05cb650feb287c7a208b0bb

Dems need to hammer this home in ads.

Archived