US politics: Rovenber is coming.

Varysblackfyre321

What on earth are these people doing? Treating the lives of migrants to play political stunts is...yikes.

With Faraway Migrant Drop Offs, GOP Governers are doubling down

The decisions by Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida to send two planeloads of people to Martha’s Vineyard, and by Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas to send two busloads to Vice President Kamala Harris’s residence on Thursday — roughly 150 migrants in all — were their most conspicuous attempts yet to provoke outrage over record arrivals at the border, a circumstance the Republican leaders blame squarely on President Biden.

But while the transfers of migrants were called out by Democrats as political stunts, they also served as vivid reminders of how ill prepared heavily Democratic parts of the Northeast are to handle influxes of poor migrants, even though they have long been immigration strongholds where many people are eager to help

On Thursday, Mr. DeSantis spoke proudly of chartering private planes to drop mostly Venezuelan migrants on Martha’s Vineyard. He did so several months after Mr. Abbott and Gov. Doug Ducey of Arizona, a fellow Republican, started sending frequent busloads of migrants to Washington and New York, straining resources in those cities. Mayor Muriel Bowser of Washington declared a public emergency last week in response to the arrivals; on Wednesday, Mayor Eric Adams of New York said its shelter system was “nearing its breaking point” after more than 11,000 migrants arrived in the city since May.

He did not shed light on who rounded up the migrants — who had been processed by federal immigration authorities at the border and released — and got them on the planes, or how. Several of the migrants, who spent the night at a church in Edgartown, Mass., said on Thursday that after being released from Border Patrol custody in Texas, they had been approached by a woman named “Perla” who offered them seats on planes to Massachusetts but did not say they would be landing on a remote island. This year the Florida Legislature set aside $12 million to transport migrants out of the state.

11 minutes ago, Raja said:

What on earth are these people doing? Treating the lives of migrants to play political stunts is...yikes.

Wait till they start using trains to camps...

Judge Denies DOJ Request To Carve Out Access To Mar-a-Lago Docs, Appoints Special Master

“The Court does not find it appropriate to accept the Government’s conclusions on these important and disputed issues without further review by a neutral third party in an expedited and orderly fashion,” Cannon, a Trump appointee, wrote in her 10-page ruling denying the Justice Department’s request to essentially exclude about 100 documents marked classified from the special master process. (...)

“To the extent that the Security Assessments truly are, in fact, inextricable from criminal investigative use of the seized materials, the Court makes clear that the September 5 Order does not enjoin the Government from taking actions necessary for the Security Assessments,” she wrote. (...)

“There has been no actual suggestion by the Government of any identifiable emergency or imminent disclosure of classified information arising from Plaintiff’s allegedly unlawful retention of the seized property,” Cannon wrote.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/15/judge-rejects-doj-bid-to-delay-mar-a-lago-ruling-appoints-special-master-00057123

4 hours ago, maarsen said:

As a union exec I dealt with members in my union who disliked unions. We did the best for them, getting them a wage increase denied to them for silly reasons for example, but the employer treated as badly or worse the non union workers in the same workplace. Paying union dues is a very good bargain. 

Yeah, it was terrible when I worked a union job. I paid like $20/month and got healthcare benefits so generous I thought I was back in the 1990's. I have to wonder at workers outraged about unions. Why are they even inconveniencing the great job creators by taking a paycheck?

6 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

A great way to respect labor is to support their rights to fair wages and a decent quality of life.  

Larry of the Lake -- I'm sympathetic; however, in addition to providing unusully high tips and treating them like humans, I do something better: I stay out of their way. This allows labor to struggle and succeed for themselves -- as individuals and groups. My personal success was motivated by my detractors, and it should be the same for them, as well. Moreover, this allows capital to innovate, facilitating social and technological progress. Thesis and antithesis is synthesis, and so on.

We knew this (pilot program) was coming, and I support it. Scan your basket of goods, pay, and walk out.

6 hours ago, maarsen said:

As a union exec I dealt with members in my union who disliked unions.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, it was terrible when I worked a union job.

maarsen et al. -- yes, exactly; as I said, why not join a union, given how much it would benefit them? Some people are irrational, of course, but not everyone.

14 hours ago, maarsen said:

As a union exec I dealt with members in my union who disliked unions. We did the best for them, getting them a wage increase denied to them for silly reasons for example, but the employer treated as badly or worse the non union workers in the same workplace. Paying union dues is a very good bargain. 

I suspect most don’t so much “dislike Unions” as they “dislike being required to be a member of a Union to be employed where they are employed”.  That has always been my tick.  Voluntarily Union membership… I’ll back that every time.  Compulsory Union membership is not something I care for.

I am continually getting email spam fund requests from conservative politicians and groups. I deem this excerpt as 'likely hype' but maybe somebody out there really is concerned...

-----

This is one of those “drop everything” moments.

Nancy Pelosi and all her top deputies say they’ll not only hold their House Majority -- they’ll EXPAND their ranks!

This is an election emergency.

Pelosi’s reviewed the FEC reports (they’re crushing us in fundraising)... She’s seen the latest polls (Democrats just took the lead)... And top Democrats are mobilizing their base in swing states (Barack Obama, Joe Biden AND Hillary Clinton are hitting the campaign trail). If Pelosi’s prediction comes true and they pick up seats:

-- WE WILL FAIL to take back the House
-- WE WILL FAIL to fire Nancy Pelosi
-- WE WILL FAIL to save America

We can still stop them, Fellow Conservative. We have to. The future of America depends on it.

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I suspect most don’t so much “dislike Unions” as they “dislike being required to be a member of a Union to be employed where they are employed”.  That has always been my tick.  Voluntarily Union membership… I’ll back that every time.  Compulsory Union membership is not something I care for.

Here in Canada no one is required to join a union in order to get a job. However, if you derive a benefit from being in a workplace represented by a union you do have to pay union dues. This principle has been enshrined in law here since the 1940s. You don't  get a free ride by getting the benefits of a union without paying for it. 

Companies  hire and fire workers. Unions just aquire them here.

2 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Here in Canada no one is required to join a union in order to get a job. However, if you derive a benefit from being in a workplace represented by a union you do have to pay union dues. This principle has been enshrined in law here since the 1940s. You don't  get a free ride by getting the benefits of a union without paying for it.

I’m aware.  And I can understand how that requirement could be grating to some.  And I’m confident you do everything you can to properly represent everyone under your wing.  

:)

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m aware.  And I can understand how that requirement could be grating to some.  And I’m confident you do everything you can to properly represent everyone under your wing.  

:)

When I play games like that I don't  play fair. I destroy my enemies with kindness.

3 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I am continually getting email spam fund requests from conservative politicians and groups. I deem this excerpt as 'likely hype' but maybe somebody out there really is concerned...

-----

Hey, this is really rather mild compared to a lot of the emails I get from the NRSC or the Trump organization. 

Just unfortunately got my first email from the Ron Johnson campaign, which blames the Democrats' fundraising success on "radical billionaires." As if there really were any such people.

Ck,

I hate bombarding your email inbox like this, and I wouldn’t do this unless it were necessary – but unfortunately, it is. 

Radical Democrats in Washington and their ELITIST donors are pouring TENS of MILLIONS of dollars into far-Left campaigns to ATTACK and SLANDER patriotic Republicans like myself and others. 

We’re being outraised – and outspent BADLY. I know hard-working Americans like yourself don’t have hundreds of thousands to drop on campaign contributions like the
Democrats’ corrupt BILLIONAIRE donors, but we must close the gap. 

I know you’re a highly respected patriot in YOUR city, and if you can dig deep, and make a contribution of $5 or more, other patriots in YOUR city will follow suit. 

Restoring our Republican Majority is on the line. Can you step up and help save our country from total catastrophe? 

Please contribute $5 OR MORE in the next 4 HOURS to help OUR Party counter the far-Left’s radical billionaire donors and restore the America First Legacy. >>

15 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Congress legalizing or prohibiting abortion is going to be primarily a debate about the scope of Congress' power under the commerce clause.  That's something on which the Fed Soc offers a clear "right answer".  Roberts already has adopted a narrow view of the commerce clause.  Kav will do the same.  The fact that in his Dobbs concurrence he virtue-signals towards possibly being open to congressional legislation is just the trick he's mastered throughout his career: finding gullible liberals to carry water for him. 

You're certainly right that they've left themselves legal avenues and/or simply won't care about consistency if need be, but you're kidding yourself if you think Roberts is gonna view national legislation through the commerce clause.  He's going to rule based on concern for the legitimacy of the court - the same reason he didn't strike down the ACA despite his views on the commerce clause.  As for Kavanaugh, his primary concern is not gonna be consistency, sure, it's gonna be his legacy.  These justices have pretty large egos, and it wouldn't look good historically for him to overrule his most famous opinion/decision, no matter the subject matter.

46 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Gracious, if a "month's pay" isn't "a lot" to you, you are way better off financially than most Americans!

LOL, hardly.  Which is why a month's pay for me is still not a lot to most!

Surprised no discussion on the Senate Dems' decision to delay the SSM vote til after the election.  Schumer et al. are putting quite a lot of faith in Baldwin being able to get six more votes during the lame duck period.  Because if they can't, then they certainly should have held the vote now/before the midterms. 

And..let's just say I'm very skeptical of six GOP Senators being to convinced to after the midterms.  Johnson is really their only endangered incumbent (unless you wanna count Rubio, but judging by his position on Graham's bill he's not worried about tacking left), and I'd argue holding the vote now would put more pressure on him then after the election - where win or lose he's not gonna be too worried about getting moderate/independent votes for at least awhile.  

16 hours ago, Raja said:

Anyone else would be indicted for kidnapping and human trafficking. But hey, Marge Greene just kicked a latina woman, twice, on video. Any bets she'll get into trouble for that?

20 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

A great way to respect labor is to support their rights to fair wages and a decent quality of life.  

Respect, on its own, does not feed, shelter, heal or protect anyone.  

I wonder how the latest Starbucks strat of paying non-union workers more than unionized employees is going to pan out. At what point does our government hold Starbucks accountable for union busting?

Either way, a new gallup poll shows 70% of Americans approve of unions. The Boomer self destructive mindset may be dying.

20 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

I want my purchases to be cheap and good; and my profits, high and consistent.

Yet you pay Starbucks prices?

You are on mighty thin ice to be prattling on about any purchases with questionable  decisions like that. Their prices have been uncompetitve and high for 10 years, long before any employees organized there.

My concern is biased consumers, such as yourself, will now claim the unions are making the Starbucks the overpriced, shit product that it is.

Fwiw, id bet actual working class, blue collar union folks,  on average would rarely waiste their precious wages on that (Starbucks) overpriced sludge. They are stretching spending and packing the thermos with homebrewed coffee.

Similarly I expect your equally poor as any authority about unions evidenced by your goto commentary insinuating they would make prices higher.

Unions havent made Starbucks overpriced, their own management has saddled them with that over many years.

4 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Fwiw, id bet actual working class, blue collar union folks,  on average would rarely waiste their precious wages on that (Starbucks) overpriced sludge. They are stretching spending and packing the thermos with homebrewed coffee.

Sorry to say Dire, but you would lose that bet where I have worked.  For some things, costs aren't what sways people. The working-class folks I worked with (working class myself) love Starbucks.   (not me though, if I buy coffee, I get it from McDonalds on independent coffee places).  Also, when Obama was talking about unions back in the day, the warehouse I worked at held meetings to 'splain to us the evils of unions.   The had a long time emp there to talk as well as the head of HR (whose hubby worked for UPS and she had on other occasions bragged about his great union bennies) This was in Nevada, right to get fired for no reason state. 

The meetings with company bigwigs can scare the workers as fear of losing a job is great motivator.   And as we know, the bigwigs don't have to come out with specific threats to intimidate the workers.  I work for a union now and am very glad.  My union dues come back in benefits, fair increases, and the job protections a union can provide. 

Nonunion forces are strong, so the small recent achievements of voting in unions, is very encouraging.  

Archived