US politics: Rovenber is coming.

Varysblackfyre321

I’ve been meaning to comment about this, but I’ve been spending time thinking about consequences instead.

I had dinner last Sunday with friends, and one of their kids had met up with old friends the week before. The couple are Americans who worked in Canada for a few years and then moved to California to take a promotion. A couple of months ago they quit their jobs and moved to upstate New York. They were telling my friends that while there have been underlying tensions between Democratic types and Republican types for a long time, tensions have worsened considerably in the past few years, to a point where they said the air practically crackles with it. They started getting very uncomfortable about living in CA, and decided to move back to the east coast.

They got Canadian work permits before and are confident they could get work permits again, and are prepared to move back here if things worsen. They chose NY state to live in in case they had to make a run for the border (among other reasons). I don’t think they meant run as in pack-the-essentials and hightail it to the nearest crossing in the dead of night, more like get things in order over a period of a few months and then move. But proximity to the border is comforting, so maybe in the back of their minds they are thinking about a midnight run.

This is not the first story I’ve heard from friends and acquaintances about Americans they know reporting they feel a real tension between people where they live. Many of my friends here are guessing ten years before all hell breaks out, some are predicting less than five years because of the next federal election. But, what the hell do we know, right?

What really surprised me, though, was that they were feeling these tensions in California, to the point where they decided they had to leave.

I have an American friend in my Pokémon Go global raid group who lives in Western Kentucky who really really wants to move to Canada, but he’s divorced and won’t leave his five year old son behind. Again, the kind of story a lot of us hear from American friends. And more and more Canadians moving back to Canada after living in the US for years, because they just can’t take it anymore.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/two-out-of-three-missouri-voters-certain-to-vote-yes-on-marijuana-legalization-ballot-initiative-poll-finds/

Poll shows majority support for this ballot initiative, among Dems, Repubs, and independents in Missouri, which would legalize marijuana for adults 21 and over.  

I feel like MJ legislation or de-scheduling or not enforcing it, or pardoning federal possession cases, is an easy win for the administration going into an election.   Missed opportunity for Biden.

Gee, wouldn't it be better for these white jerkwaddies take on the role of Uncle Tom from Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel?  Some did, you know, in stage productions adapted because the book had roared into bestsellerdom.  Historical precedent!

1 hour ago, outsourcing consent said:

only tangentially related to us politics but lmao, this rocks

If you ever end up drinking too much paint thinner, and you reach the point where you ask yourself deep existential question, this one answers one of those: Which actor is the white Denzel Washington. Clearly academy award winner in the making.

14 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

If this isnt some sort of Onion level satire, someone should point out that Malcolm X is a real human, while Ariel (I presume this is the source of all the conservative pearl clutching) is a cartoon character.

This is only one of the black characters that have appeared in 'white' roles, according to the haters.  In The Hunger Games, the young girl Katniss befriends in the 1st film was black and there was a backlash.  Then there was the black Storm Trooper in a Star Wars film, and now a black mermaid.   

The HG came out in 2012, so I guess 3 black actors in 10 years is just too much.   /s

3 minutes ago, LongRider said:

This is only one of the black characters that have appeared in 'white' roles, according to the haters.  In The Hunger Games, the young girl Katniss befriends in the 1st film was black and there was a backlash.  Then there was the black Storm Trooper in a Star Wars film, and now a black mermaid.   

The HG came out in 2012, so I guess 3 black actors in 10 years is just too much.   /s

How could you forget about the biggest insult ever Idirs Elba as Heimdall in MCU. Or Steve Toussaint as Lord Velaryon in HotD. Or Barack Obama as President. 

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

How could you forget about the biggest insult ever Idirs Elba as Heimdall in MCU. Or Steve Toussaint as Lord Velaryon in HotD. Or Barack Obama as President. 

Well, I don't see many movies these days and haven't watched HotD (don't like Targs or dragons) glad to hear that there are more good roles for these actors than what I know of.  As for BO, well yes, his election did stoke the fires of hate that are still burning.    :frown5:

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I don’t know where they lived (friends of friends) but I can ask. I sort of think it was somewhere in Silicon Valley, because I think they are high tech types. 

Thanks, very high rent district in SV.

59 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Oh please, you’re on a Game of Thrones website, how the hell do you miss that!?! :lol:

Eta: haha I see you got hit with GoT already!

Archived