US politics: Rovenber is coming.

Varysblackfyre321

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a hill worth dying on. Cake is one of the most overrated popular desserts out there.

In actual news, a federal appeals court sides with the DOJ, allowing the investigation to resume. So much for judge shopping. 

I've had foodgasms with cake, but there are also cakes that are wholly inedible and would amount to an animal welfare offence if fed to animals. Ice cream lacks those extremes. So I will allow that if you aren't confident in the quality of either dessert you are being offered ice cream is the safer bet.

The food fight thread:

In other news,

Trump rape accuser E. Jean Carroll plans new lawsuit against former president

In a letter made public on Tuesday, a lawyer for E. Jean Carroll said the former Elle magazine columnist plans to sue Trump for battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress under New York state's Adult Survivors Act.

Carroll's lawyer Roberta Kaplan said her client plans to sue Trump on Nov. 24 when the state law takes effect, and that the claims and Carroll's existing defamation case against Trump could be tried together in February 2023.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-rape-accuser-e-jean-carroll-plans-new-lawsuit-against-former-president/ar-AA123IB8

Weren't lawsuits like Carroll's allegedly part of the reason Trump wanted to be president, so he could escape accountability for 8 years and perhaps run out some clocks for being able to be held to account? 4 years wasn't enough, no wonder he tried to overthrow the govt to secure himself 4 more years of respite.

If he'd gotten 4 more years I would not have put it past him to seek, and obtain, support for getting rid of POTUS term limits. In an alternate future I can just imagine a Republican House and Senate backing it and voting to eliminate the filibuster to get it.

Not that I personally think term limits are important for democracy. I would tend to argue that a democracy in  need of term limits is borderline not a democracy, since it requires measures other than the ballot box to remove harmful leaders from office. IN a functioning democracy, shit presidents who are doing harm to a country shouldn't be able to hoodwink the electorate for more than one or two terms anyway.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Weren't lawsuits like Carroll's allegedly part of the reason Trump wanted to be president, so he could escape accountability for 8 years and perhaps run out some clocks for being able to be held to account? 4 years wasn't enough, no wonder he tried to overthrow the govt to secure himself 4 more years of respite.

If he'd gotten 4 more years I would not have put it past him to seek, and obtain, support for getting rid of POTUS term limits. In an alternate future I can just imagine a Republican House and Senate backing it and voting to eliminate the filibuster to get it.

Not that I personally think term limits are important for democracy. I would tend to argue that a democracy in  need of term limits is borderline not a democracy, since it requires measures other than the ballot box to remove harmful leaders from office. IN a functioning democracy, shit presidents who are doing harm to a country shouldn't be able to hoodwink the electorate for more than one or two terms anyway.

Getting rid of term limits would require a consitutional amendment no way Trump gets that.

Didn't realise they put it in the constitution. Though thinking about it, I guess that's the only way it could actually happen. A SCOTUS at some point would reject something like that which was merely an act of Congress. But SCOTUS can't touch the constitution. Curiously it seems a lot of people believe no one should touch the constitution, 22 amendments and a lot of those people crying about being the victims of infringements against various amendments sort of complicates that attitude a bit. 

This is some real evil. More from the GOP frontrunner for '24. 

Such callous treatment of people. I imagine we'll find out who 'Perla' is sometime today.

Eta - Or this morning. Seems likely to be Christina Pushaw, DeSantis' rapid response director.

The third rail Republicans can’t stop touching
Social Security and Medicare are wildly popular. So why do GOP Senate candidates keep talking about privatizing them?

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/22/republican-candidates-social-security-medicare-00058158

Mike Dennehy, a Republican strategist in New Hampshire who worked on Kevin Smith’s Senate primary campaign this year, questioned why Bolduc has even discussed Medicare privatization when no such proposal is actually looming in the Senate.

“The reality is when any candidate takes a position and then changes it within a short timeframe, it is very difficult to defend,” Dennehy said.

Masters’ change of heart on Social Security hasn’t stopped Democrats from pummeling the Republican nominee with television attack ads on the issue. The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee has spent more than $1.7 million on television ads in Arizona specifically highlighting Masters’ comments on privatizing Social Security — a topic they’re still putting money behind on the air. Other Democratic groups have taken out digital ads on the topic.

It appears their messaging is breaking through to voters. During a focus group conducted Thursday by the anti-Trump Republican Accountability Project, viewed exclusively by POLITICO, two of the nine Arizona voters participating — each of whom voted for Trump in 2016 but not in 2020 — brought up Masters’ views on Social Security.

Both men said they intend to vote for Democratic Sen. Mark Kelly this fall, including one who said he plans to split his vote and also vote for the Trump-backed Kari Lake for governor.

Social Security and Medicare are wildly popular. So why do GOP Senate candidates keep talking about privatizing them?

Because they really, really believe in this as a policy. And because they've been focused on the primary up until now. 

Privatizing most government functions, including Social Security and Medicare, is a basic tenet of the Libertarian wing of the Republican party. Because of the Trump MAGA takeover, it's sometimes hard to remember that the Republicans, like the Democrats, are still a coalition of various interests and groups, as is inevitable within a two-party system. And candidates who are themselves more highly educated and who have been involved in Republican politics before Trump are likely to have been influenced in their personal beliefs by Libertarian ideas. Especially before the primary, they are likely to give voice to such beliefs in order to get backing from those non-MAGA libertarian Republican voters who still exist -- at this point the Trumpists probably aren't going to pay attention to what a candidate says about privatization, even if they would themselves be opposed to it as a single issue, because election denial and Trump worship are the only things they care about in terms of who to vote for in the primary, so by saying you are in favor of privatizing SS and Medicare you get some more non-MAGA votes in the primary while losing very few MAGA votes if you still kiss Trump's ass. 

Now! Finally! We KNOW! Why! the dastardly FBI came to the Florida Compound of Fraudsters, Traitors, Grifters, Rapists, Liars, Coupsters and all 'round ugly idiots!  They were looking for Hillary's emails.  

I kid you not.  orange romperpants told it to Sean Hannity on tv, so we know it's true.  And no, Imma not about to link to this gaseous waste product.

26 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Now! Finally! We KNOW! Why! the dastardly FBI came to the Florida Compound of Fraudsters, Traitors, Grifters, Rapists, Liars, Coupsters and all 'round ugly idiots!  They were looking for Hillary's emails.  

I kid you not.  orange romperpants told it to Sean Hannity on tv, so we know it's true.  And no, Imma not about to link to this gaseous waste product.

Hunter's laptop cries quietly in corner 'nobody loves me anymore'.   sniffle 

Archived