US politics: Rovenber is coming.

Varysblackfyre321

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Obviously all those drugs are quite dangerous.  Problem is, the "Schedule I" drugs - or specifically and legally coded as more dangerous - include LSD and marijuana, which is of course absurd.  Hell, even rating ecstasy and peyote as more dangerous than the others is absurd to me, but whatever. 

Bit of a sidetrack, but I found it incredibly fascinating that the NFL was cool with A.A.Ron talking about using ayahuasca while they still ban the above and shrooms. Frankly I'm in the camp that argues using psychedelics in limited doses and in controlled settings a few times is probably a net benefit for most people who aren't obvious red flags for likely bad reactions.  

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

BTW, you know what should also be classified as a Schedule II drug?

Told these motherfuckers earlier in the week, their coffee is a crippling drug addiction as well. And most of them double dip caffeine and sugar. Clearly it's a gateway drug to speedballing...

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Frankly I'm in the camp that argues using psychedelics in limited doses and in controlled settings a few times is probably a net benefit for most people who aren't obvious red flags for likely bad reactions.  

It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad how the US government AND academic researchers have gone full circle on hallucinogens since they all went apeshit when Tim Leary was trying to figure this out 60 years ago.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Told these motherfuckers earlier in the week, their coffee is a crippling drug addiction as well. And most of them double dip caffeine and sugar. Clearly it's a gateway drug to speedballing...

I drink coffee black, no sugar, uck, or creamer.   Give me my caffeine straight up STAT.   :angry2:

Alex Jones testifies in trial over his Sandy Hook hoax lies
More than a dozen relatives of the 26 shooting victims showed up to observe his often contentious testimony in Waterbury Superior Court.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/22/alex-jones-testifies-in-trial-over-his-sandy-hook-hoax-lies-00058461

On Thursday, Jones admitted calling parents “crisis actors” on his show and saying the shooting was “phony as a three-dollar bill.”

Plaintiff attorney Christopher Mattei accused Jones of putting targets on the parents’ backs, pointing to the family members in the courtroom and saying “these are real people.”

“Just like all the Iraqis you liberals killed and love,” Jones responded. “Just, you’re unbelievable. You switch on emotions, on-and-off when you want. You’re just ambulance chasing.”

“Why don’t you show a little respect?” Mattei shot back, as Jones’ lawyer, Norm Pattis, shouted objections and several family members shook their heads in apparent disbelief.

The exchange went on with Mattei pointing out that the families in the courtroom had “lost children, sisters, wives, moms.”

“Is this a struggle session?” said Jones, who in recent years has acknowledged the shooting was real. “Are we in China? I’ve already said I’m sorry hundreds of times and I’m done saying I’m sorry.”

59 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Alex Jones testifies in trial over his Sandy Hook hoax lies
More than a dozen relatives of the 26 shooting victims showed up to observe his often contentious testimony in Waterbury Superior Court.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/22/alex-jones-testifies-in-trial-over-his-sandy-hook-hoax-lies-00058461

I believe the past apology about as much as I believe the apology of a kid that's emptied the cookie jar into their tummy.

They will be truly sorry when they actually feel the pain and consequences of their actions. In the case of the kid that's when they feel all gross and sickly from eating so much crap in such a short time (bit of a bugger if they suffer no ill effects). In the case of Jones it's when he feels all gross and sickly from his bank account being emptied.

And being truly sorry is really only believable when there is a change in behaviour.

I said earlier that the government agreeing to Dearie as Special Master was calling Trump's bluff, but now I'm thinking they'd simply done their homework on Dearie and Trump's team didn't bother.

13 minutes ago, mormont said:

I said earlier that the government agreeing to Dearie as Special Master was calling Trump's bluff, but now I'm thinking they'd simply done their homework on Dearie and Trump's team didn't bother.

Well...yeah.  Sounds like a distinction without a difference to me.

Fair. In my head, I mean the distinction is between Trump's team nominating a qualified candidate in the expectation that the government would simply reject him out of hand, and Trump's team nominating a candidate they expected would automatically be on their side. It's about whether they really thought he'd get the job.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah.  I really don't think this needs to be argued.  Here's the DEA's description of Schedule II drugs if you just google it:

Obviously all those drugs are quite dangerous.  Problem is, the "Schedule I" drugs - or specifically and legally coded as more dangerous - include LSD and marijuana, which is of course absurd.  Hell, even rating ecstasy and peyote as more dangerous than the others is absurd to me, but whatever. 

The main difference between Schedule I vs Schedule II drugs is not "more dangerous" but medical benefits.  Schedule I drugs are deemed to hold no medical benefits while Schedule II drugs have medical benefits.  Both schedule I and II drugs hold similar addictive or abusive potential.  For example, cocaine (with severe adverse effects) is a schedule II because its a potent vasoconstrictor that is used in surgery while LSD (with less adverse effects compared to cocaine but no proven medical benefits) is a schedule I.  One could argue that putting drug in schedule I prevents scientific/medical research to prove that the drug has medical benefits.  For example, there are anecdotal reports of LSD having benefits in the treatment of anxiety and depression but no randomized control trial can be done to prove this.  

When I was a pharmacy student, working at a big teaching hospital, part of my job was to deliver controlled drugs to satellite pharmacies to restock their supplies.  I would deliver huge batches of  cocaine, fentanyl, morphine, etc vials as well as beer and hard liquor (mostly whiskey) to the cancer units that have inpatient hospice units.  The beer and hard liquor were heavily scrutinized and the pharmacists there would immediately count how many were delivered and signed off on the use of proof of use sheet of receiving x amount.  The cocaine, fentanyl, morphine, etc not so much.  I guess pharmacy students back then were more likely to crack open a beer in the elevator then steal a vial of cocaine lol.  

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

For example, cocaine (with severe adverse effects) is a schedule II because its a potent vasoconstrictor that is used in surgery while LSD (with less adverse effects compared to cocaine but no proven medical benefits) is a schedule I.  One could argue that putting drug in schedule I prevents scientific/medical research to prove that the drug has medical benefits.  For example, there are anecdotal reports of LSD having benefits in the treatment of anxiety and depression but no randomized control trial can be done to prove this.  

One could indeed argue that!  Indeed - many researchers are currently arguing that point.  Which is the point!  The scheduling is a whole huge ass pile of horse shit.  And moreover, for anyone that has taken these drugs recreationally, it's just about as ass backwards as you could possibly imagine.  LSD, shrooms, and weed are not nearly as addictive as oxy, coke, and meth.  That's...beyond absurd.  Which is why the DEA can go fuck itself right up its anachronistic hippy hating fucking ass.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

One could indeed argue that!  Indeed - many researchers are currently arguing that point.  Which is the point!  The scheduling is a whole huge ass pile of horse shit.  And moreover, for anyone that has taken these drugs recreationally, it's just about as ass backwards as you could possibly imagine.  LSD, shrooms, and weed are not nearly as addictive as oxy, coke, and meth.  That's...beyond absurd.  Which is why the DEA can go fuck itself right up its anachronistic hippy hating fucking ass.

Its Congress that came up with the Controlled Substance Act of 1990 (I'm sure with DEA's input).  So blame should be placed on Congress and not the DEA who is just enforcing the Act.  

Just now, Gareth said:

Its Congress that came up with the Controlled Substance Act of 1990 (I'm sure with DEA's input).  So blame should be placed on Congress and not the DEA who is just enforcing the Act.  

Well, no, the CSA dates back to 1970, but fair enough.  I can still go off on the DEA, because..well, lots of reasons.

47 minutes ago, mormont said:

Fair. In my head, I mean the distinction is between Trump's team nominating a qualified candidate in the expectation that the government would simply reject him out of hand, and Trump's team nominating a candidate they expected would automatically be on their side. It's about whether they really thought he'd get the job.

Yeah, I get what you're saying in terms of the distinction, but either way it's a bluff, right?  It's either a bluff that the DOJ wouldn't take him, or a bluff that the DOJ would take him and he'd be on their side.  Either way, I don't think Trump's team was that exacting, they're just stupid.  And again, what's really the difference?  If it was the former, then the assumption is the same as the latter - that he'd still be on their side.  All of a sudden I feel like I'm back in a formal modeling seminar with logic trees and I WANT TO LEAVE...

Yet more extremist insanity out of this nation's incel universe of narcissist  poses specifically harm, including rape and mass murder, of women and young children.

“Analysis of their discourse shows this core group poses a clear and present danger to women, other young men, and reveals an emerging threat to our children,” the report says.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/09/22/incels-rape-murder-study/

The most prominent forum for men who consider themselves involuntarily celibate or “incels” has become significantly more radicalized over the past year and a half and is seeking to normalize child rape, a new report says.

The report, by the Center for Countering Digital Hate’s new Quant Lab, is the culmination of an investigation that analyzed more than 1 million posts on the site. It found a marked spike in conversations about mass murder and growing approval of sexually assaulting prepubescent girls.

The report also says that platforms including YouTube and Google, as well as internet infrastructure companies like Cloudflare are facilitating the growth of the forum, which the report said is visited by 2.6 million people every month. “These businesses should make a principled decision to withdraw their services from sites causing such significant harm,” the report says.

“This is a novel, new violent extremist movement born in the internet age, which defies the usual characteristics of violent extremist movements that law enforcement and the intelligence community are usually used to,” said Imran Ahmed, founder and CEO of CCDH, a US-based nonprofit. “Our study shows that it is organized, has a cogent ideology and has clearly concluded that raping women, killing women, and raping children is a clear part of the practice of their ideology.”

Incels blame women for their failings in life. The term originated decades ago, and while the first incel forum was founded by a woman in the mid 1990s, incel communities have since become almost exclusively male. Incel ideology has been linked to dozens of murders and assaults over the past decade, the most prominent one involving Elliot Rodger, a 22-year-old self-described incel who murdered six people in a stabbing and shooting rampage in Santa Barbara, Calif., in 2014. Before killing himself, he posted a long manifesto and YouTube videos promoting incel ideology.

In March, the U.S. Secret Service’s National Threat Assessment Center released a report warning that anti-woman violence was a growing terrorism threat.

According to the CCDH analysis, members of the forum post about rape every 29 minutes, and more than 89 percent of posters support rape and say it’s acceptable. The CCDH analysis also found that posters on the forum are seeking to normalize child rape. More than a quarter of members of the forum have posted pedophilia keywords, the analysis found, and more than half of the members of the forum support pedophilia.

The forum also changed its rules this year to accommodate what appears to be a trend toward normalizing rape of younger victims, according to the report. The forum previously implored users not to “sexualize minors in any way, shape or form,” but in March changed that language to “do not sexualize prepubescent minors in any way, shape, or form.”

The report also cited content that reflected the trend toward pedophilia, noting that a majority of commenters voiced support for a post that read, “As an incel, there is literally no reason to be against pedophilia.” Another thread started by a regular user who had posted more than 7,000 times to the forum contained an image of a 12-year-old child with the comment “who in their right mind would prefer a 22 year old [woman] to this?”

“Analysis of their discourse shows this core group poses a clear and present danger to women, other young men, and reveals an emerging threat to our children,” the report says.

CCDH said its analysis also had found a rising interest in mass murder on the site. Posts mentioning incel mass murders increased 59 percent between 2021 and 2022, the study said, and praise was common for Elliot Rodger. The word “kill” was mentioned 1,181 times on the forum in just one month, equivalent to once every 37 minutes. “Shoot” and “murder” are also popular words on the forum.

“We are in no doubt after conducting this study that this community of angry, belligerent and unapologetic men are dangerous to each other, with malignant social dynamics whereby they encourage each other to worse and worse extremes,” the report said. “Unchecked, incel communities have the potential to radicalize further.”

The CCDH said it is making its full database of the forum available to law enforcement and has briefed counterterrorism officials in the U.S. and the U.K. about the report’s findings.

The forum was founded in 2017 by Diego Joaquín Galante, known online as “Sergeant Incel” and Lamarcus Small as a response to Reddit banning the subreddit /r/incels. It offers an invitation-only Discord server for its members who have posted more than 400 times to the site, and an active channel on the chat app Telegram. Moderators of the forum also maintain a Twitter account that promotes incel ideology and attacks perceived critics.

Only self-declared heterosexual men are permitted to post on the forum; women and members of the LGBTQ community are prohibited from weighing in.

The report says the forum has gained a mass audience largely through social media, singling out YouTube in particular, where, it said, videos promoting incel ideology have been viewed a total of 24.2 million times. “YouTube is a key part of incel education,” Ahmed said.

Forum members, the report said, often share content from misogynist YouTube channels and channels like Incel TV, which promotes incel ideology. Another popular YouTube channel mentioned on the forum, the report said, is SlutHate Creeps, where users post covertly recorded images of women.

“We remove content that targets or threatens individuals or groups based on protected attributes. Upon review, we removed and age-restricted several videos surfaced by CCDH for violating our Community Guidelines,” said YouTube spokesman Jack Malon in a statement.

YouTube isn’t the only inroad, the analysis found. Galante and Small have created a network of seemingly more mainstream websites that funnel people to the incel forum. Google searches for body image or unemployment frequently return links to these “incelosphere” sites, the CCDH found.

Teenage boys are among the forum’s most active and extreme users, according to the CCDH. In one instance, a boy who said he was 17 was recorded as being on the forum for an average of 10 hours per day during the period of the report, posting an average of 40 times per day, the report said. Another, who claimed to be 15, spent an average of five hours per day on the site, posting repeatedly about his desire to commit a mass shooting.

The forum enables their participation, the analysis said, by encouraging users to hide the site from prying parents or teachers by using a feature that disguises it as a banana marketing website.

The report criticizes Cloudflare, an internet services company that provides services to the forum and to other Galante and Small sites. Cloudflare recently dropped Kiwi Farms, a forum where users coordinated harassment campaigns against women and members of the LGBTQ community, after a protest launched targeting its mainstream clients. “Cloudflare is profiting from its role as an infrastructure provider to all four incelosphere forums and has been praised by the incel forum’s official Twitter account,” the report says.

The CCDH urged government regulators also to find ways to combat incel ideology and restrict the site. “This should not be left to the goodwill of Big Tech, who profit from the creation and spread of this content and are not properly incentivized or required to be proactively transparent on the key metrics or to invest in the desired safety outcomes,” the report says.

“This forum is a violent ideological manifesto, but for the 21st century,” Ahmed said. “Instead of being a book, it’s essentially a wiki that is continuously being evolved by the readers themselves. Left alone, this community has been radicalized further and their ideology is becoming more dangerous by the day.”

7 hours ago, mormont said:

I forget where I read that, but apparently, one of his legtal advisors thought that because Dearie had a bad experience with a lying FBI witness, he'd be anti-FBI now. That was their research.

In sadder news, and I now wish I'd made a bet,

Charges unlikely against Gaetz in federal sex-trafficking probe

The federal investigation into Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz’s alleged sexual encounters with teenage girls is winding down and no charges are expected to be filed against the firebrand Republican congressman, a person familiar with the probe said Friday. ...

... career prosecutors have recommended not pursuing charges against Gaetz, in part due to concerns about the credibility of potential witnesses. It would be highly unusual for political appointees at the Justice Department to press forward with a prosecution in the face of opposition from top career officials.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/charges-unlikely-against-gaetz-in-federal-sex-trafficking-probe/ar-AA12aNQL

Archived