China why haven’t pro-democracy movements been able to take root?

Ser Scot A Ellison

10 minutes ago, Lily Liyang said:

Honestly I’ve never been to Xinjiang. But I live in China and I have a friend from Xinjiang. He only sold his apartment in the capital city few years ago. 
The places you visit. Do you recall the names. Did you take photos? Can you send them to me privately?

I came from Inner Mongolia. The government take great effort to preserve Mongolian culture there. I won’t believe you unless you can show me proofs.

Lol, And also times, dates and a list of known associates I presume?

Everything is open now you can take a train over the new year holiday and see for yourself. It's a lovely place to visit good food, good people, of course there are Uighurs living there lives there. just make sure to think about what else you'll see. 

18 minutes ago, Fire and Jace said:

Oh now we're talkin'! 

I stand with you, Lily! China is a place of smiles and joy and smartfones. Anything else is a decadent accusation by a dastardly and Sinophobic west!

See Jace I told you, you had a future as a CCP shill. Now all you need is a Youtube account, a snappy Twitter bio and your on the path to glory. Would you like to know more? 

3 minutes ago, Lily Liyang said:

It’s always open. But now who wants to travel? I don’t want to get COVID. But I will pick my time and fly there. 

You… may… have missed Darzin’s sarcasm.  If the BBC is censored how can you tell us the report is incorrect?

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

You… may… have missed Darzin’s sarcasm.  If the BBC is censored how can you tell us the report is incorrect?

I wasn't actually being sarcastic at least not about that. I did go there for a holiday and with the Covid restrictions gone if Lily thinks I'm lying the truth is just a train ride away, not the BBC report exactly. but all it takes is a quick walk around any minority majority city to see that while yes people are still buying and selling apartments things are not normal nor ok. 

9 hours ago, Lily Liyang said:

Thanks for clarifying. I don’t think you are lying. But I am from a minority city. Wulanhot Inner Mongolia. I know how minorities are treated. My best friend is a Mongolian. Maybe different from what you see. If you care to tell me what you saw, message me privately please. I’m tied of arguing. And the deep-rooted prejudice is not something I can change. But we Chinese people do love peace loving foreign friends. Sometimes we are criticized for fawning on foreigners. 

All minorities are equal but some minorities are more equal then others, I've been to other minority areas of China where things seemed fine. There is a reason Western media is talking about Xinjiang and not other provinces. Also if you are Chinese you might not realize how much face China has lost over this. This is a HUGE deal internationally and lots of governments and citizens view it very seriously, I would hazard to guess if you polled this forum composed of many nationalities it will be a major issue that has lowered their opinion of the country. 

Outside of China "the BBC are liars who hate China" is not going to get you very far. I know you haven't said it but I also know the talking points. The BBC criticizes Western countries all the time, go read the US politics or UK politics threads and you'll see China is not being singled out. 

As for my experience read my posts I've already mentioned  most of it you can see what I've written.

It's true Chinese are very welcoming to foreigners but it's also true that Chinese tend to not like foreigners judging their country but this an international board where we all criticize each others countries pretty heavily just go check out the politics threads. 

9 minutes ago, Lily Liyang said:

I know how serious it is.CNN is available. I also know why.

Not just Xinjiang. Tibet. Inner Mongolia. And Taiwan. These are the targets US lead western politics pick to attack China. Because they won’t let China to rival with them. Not just China. They won’t allow a Eurasian country rise to rival with them.

Rumors and lies are the cheapest and yet deadliest weapons.

Because I speak two language—Fluent Chinese and I little bit of English—so I can understand both sides. I just wish one day people could understand each other more.

Your English seems better than “a little bit.”

12 hours ago, Lily Liyang said:

I know how serious it is.CNN is available. I also know why.

Not just Xinjiang. Tibet. Inner Mongolia. And Taiwan. These are the targets US lead western politics pick to attack China. Because they won’t let China to rival with them. Not just China. They won’t allow a  Eurasian country rise to rival with them.

Rumors and lies are the cheapest and yet deadliest weapons.

Because I speak two language—Fluent Chinese and I little bit of English—so I can understand both sides. I just wish one day people could understand each other more.

If you want to understand some differences go look at the US politics thread see what people there say about the current situation of black people in America you'll find people very critical of it, you have access to CNN read their reports on Black Lives Matter. I guarantee you Scot is not posting this to attack or hurt China but rather because he is concerned about the actions the government is is taking. Most people on this board care deeply about racial equality and multiculturalism and are very critical of their own countries over it, people here are not making the observations out of a desire to harm China but as a result of their own moral philosophy. This board is generally intensely critical  of American foreign policy and internal policies and it's not just Americans! There are plenty of non American boarders here, start a thread; ask them what they think about China and why, if you want to understand why people internationally hold the opinions they do. They are not villains who want to break up China in the name of imperialism. You say you want to know ask!

@Ser Scot A Ellison I feel like this interaction is a pretty good answer to your question. This is how it usually goes here trying to talk about these issues. 

Archived