Jump to content

Syrio Forel will return


Corvo the Crow
 Share

Recommended Posts

When last seen, he was unarmed and facing a very pissed-off Meryn Trant, who was armed and armored.  Very bad odds for Syrio.  He's good, but he's not that good.

If GRRM were going to bring him back, he would have done so long before now.  If anything, he has been closing off loopholes, like making it clear that there were no unaccounted for prisoners in the black cells.

Syrio is dead and we won't be seeing him again.

Edited by Nevets
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2022 at 10:02 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Duncan Idaho a Sword Master of Ginaz, a %90 water planet with archipelagos, have returned several times. Will Syrio Forel the First Sword of Braavos, a water dancer return? 

Discuss.

No. Syrio was awesome and badass and great. And now he's dead. 

We ain't reading Dune.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Quoth the raven, said:

Syrio served the same role in the Arya storyline as Ser Willem Darry did to the Daenerys storyline.  Mentors and in the end, protectors.  They will live but only in the memories of the children they saved. 

I'd wager that in both cases, Dany's memories and Arya's teacher, Darry and Syrio, the men are not who they seemed.

I'm of the opinion that the real Syrio Forrel was dead before the series began and we have already met the faceless man who used his identity and taught Arya, he and Jaqen Hagar are one and the same person.

And since you brought up Darry, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the deaths of the old Sealord (who signed the marriage agreement between Viserys and Dorne), his First Sword, and Darry were all related. I suspect this event is when Illyrio gained control of the Targaryen children and the Dragon Eggs which had been sold to Braavos by Elissa Farman. However, I'm not convinced that the house with the red door and lemon tree were in Braavos, and I suspect that Dany may have been brought to Braavos by Oberyn at this point (in a ship with green sails), and the grey bear protector she remembers was not Willem Darry.

I also think there is a fun connection between the lesson of Syrio about seeing what is there, and the gender of both Arya and the cat in his story, and Aemon's realization that the "prince" who was promised is actually originally a gender neutral prophesy, and Arya chasing the cat Balerion ("the real king of the castle") when she overhears Illyrio and Varys under the Red Keep.

Edited by Mourning Star
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Meryn Trant? The greatest swordsman in the world killed by Meryn fucking Trant?

Wooden swords can do only so much against steel and armor though. 

Edited by TheLastWolf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mourning Star said:

I'd wager that in both cases, Dany's memories and Arya's teacher, Darry and Syrio, the men are not who they seemed.

I'm of the opinion that the real Syrio Forrel was dead before the series began and we have already met the faceless man who used his identity and taught Arya, he and Jaqen Hagar are one and the same person.

And since you brought up Darry, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the deaths of the old Sealord (who signed the marriage agreement between Viserys and Dorne), his First Sword, and Darry were all related. I suspect this event is when Illyrio gained control of the Targaryen children and the Dragon Eggs which had been sold to Braavos by Elissa Farman. However, I'm not convinced that the house with the red door and lemon tree were in Braavos, and I suspect that Dany may have been brought to Braavos by Oberyn at this point (in a ship with green sails), and the grey bear protector she remembers was not Willem Darry.

I also think there is a fun connection between the lesson of Syrio about seeing what is there, and the gender of both Arya and the cat in his story, and Aemon's realization that the "prince" who was promised is actually originally a gender neutral prophesy, and Arya chasing the cat Balerion ("the real king of the castle") when she overhears Illyrio and Varys under the Red Keep.

You’re saying Duncan Idaho wasn’t a Sword Master of Ginaz but a Tleilaxu Face Dancer? Interesting!

Sorry, I meant Syrio Forel, Water Dancer of Braavos and Faceless Man, obviously!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Wooden swords can do only so much against steel and armor though. 

Syrio defeated several Lannister guards who dropped their longswords before Arya fled the scene. He could easily have picked up one of their swords.

ETA: last thing that happens before Arya leaves is Trant slicing the wooden sword in half. And Martin made it a point to mention that "the sword went clattering to the stone floor" when Syrio defeats the first Lannister guard.

Edited by Maester Murks
formatting
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maester Murks said:

Syrio defeated several Lannister guards who dropped their longswords before Arya fled the scene. He could easily have picked up one of their swords.

ETA: last thing that happens before Arya leaves is Trant slicing the wooden sword in half. And Martin made it a point to mention that "the sword went clattering to the stone floor" when Syrio defeats the first Lannister guard.

And he coulda grown a pair of wings and made off to Neverland. Pleeeease. He doesn't use longswords, he is a bravo. Look at his size. And this isn't GTA where you pick up fallen ppl's guns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Wooden swords can do only so much against steel and armor though. 

Then Syrio was an idiot. He could have used any of the swords around him, from the men he killed, in place of his wooden sword.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Then Syrio was an idiot. He could have used any of the swords around him, from the men he killed, in place of his wooden sword.

That assumes he can get hold of a sword and use it.  The swords the men he killed or disabled were probably still held by them or partially underneath their bodies.  I doubt any would be lying loose ready to be picked up.  And he's not familiar with the longsword; rapier seems more his weapon.

Also, if he did survive, where is he and why hasn't he reappeared?  And why would he be brought back anyway?  Syrio was a beloved, well-remembered character, but he served his purpose.  His return would only serve as a surprise "gotcha!", and GRRM doesn't play that game.  RIP Syrio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nevets said:

That assumes he can get hold of a sword and use it.  The swords the men he killed or disabled were probably still held by them or partially underneath their bodies.  I doubt any would be lying loose ready to be picked up.  And he's not familiar with the longsword; rapier seems more his weapon.

Also, if he did survive, where is he and why hasn't he reappeared?  And why would he be brought back anyway?  Syrio was a beloved, well-remembered character, but he served his purpose.  His return would only serve as a surprise "gotcha!", and GRRM doesn't play that game.  RIP Syrio.

Ohh, he's beyond dead. I'm just saying he's an idiot, for not picking up a fallen guards sword. It's just a thing George over looked, it happens all the time, if you read these books long enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

And he coulda grown a pair of wings and made off to Neverland. Pleeeease. He doesn't use longswords, he is a bravo. Look at his size. And this isn't GTA where you pick up fallen ppl's guns.

I see. He defeated five armed Lannister guards wearing helmets with a wooden stick. But picking up a longsword and using it is beyond imagination.

I'm not even a "Syrio is alive" believer, simply because of the fact that Meryn Trant came out of this alive. Occam's Razor says Syrio is dead. I just don't share the opinion that Syrio defeating Trant is as ridiculous as growing wings. And why exactly wouldn't anybody whose weapon is broken pick up another one from the ground? Would they think: "This isn't GTA. Can't do that"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...