King Maekar's Mysterious Reign

The Bard of Banefort

Maekar Targaryen sat the Iron Throne for twelve years, yet we know almost nothing about what happened during his reign, likely because of its overlap with Dunk & Egg. There are only a few things that we know happened for certain:

• The births of Egg's children, Daeron's daughter, and Aerion's son
  • An uncommonly long summer
  • Aemon returning to Dragonstone to serve as Daeron's maester
  • The Peake Uprising (resulting in Maekar's death)
  • Bloodraven either remaining or being reinstated as Hand
  • Daeron and Aerion's deaths (and possibly Daenora's and Aelora's)

By comparison, Aerys' reign will see the Third Blackfyre Rebellion, Egg's marriage to Betha Blackwood, the likely end to Dagon Greyjoy's reign of terror, and Rhaegal and Aelor's deaths. Other events, like Duncan the Small's birth, Daeron's marriage to Kiera of Tyrosh, and Dunk's (potential) romance with one of Egg's sisters could happen during either reign.

Based on what we know of the lore, what else do you believe happened during Maekar's reign? What was life like for Dunk and Egg at this time--did they mainly live in King's Landing/Summerhall/Dragonstone, or did Maekar send them out on missions? And why wasn't there another Blackfyre Rebellion during this time, given that an accursed kinslayer was now the King of the Seven Kingdoms? I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

For my part, I'm still very confused by the Peake Uprising. It doesn't make any sense to me. They'd fallen out of favour for years, only to become Aegon III's enemies after the Lysene Spring and attempted coup. Not to mention that they participated in two Blackfyre rebellions and lost two of their castles to boot. So how the hell did they have the power to make such an uprising that it required the king himself to come over and suppress it? Was it an isolated uprising? Were there other houses involved? If so, why was it only the Peakes who got credit?

10 minutes ago, James Steller said:

For my part, I'm still very confused by the Peake Uprising. It doesn't make any sense to me. They'd fallen out of favour for years, only to become Aegon III's enemies after the Lysene Spring and attempted coup. Not to mention that they participated in two Blackfyre rebellions and lost two of their castles to boot. So how the hell did they have the power to make such an uprising that it required the king himself to come over and suppress it? Was it an isolated uprising? Were there other houses involved? If so, why was it only the Peakes who got credit?

I'm super confused about that too because from the looks of things it was them against the whole of Westeros. Why would they rebel with such bad odds? After already loosing 2/3 castles as well. Was it just that whoever was in charge had enough with being 'slighted' by the throne or something and wanted to go out with a bang? Was additional support promised that failed to materialise? Was it orchestrated behind the scenes by someone else?

@The Bard of Banefort

I think the reason there were no Blackfyre Rebellions during Maekar's reign is because 1) Daemon III was a child and 2) The Golden Company/Blackfyre loyalists needed time to recover from their defeat in the Third, and 3) The irony of a warrior-king like Maekar presiding over a time of peace.

@James Steller

I've always been under the impression the Peake Uprising was, like the Second, an abortive attempt at claiming the throne but how to square that with Aenys' attempt at hijacking the GC I don't know.

Especially given the 180 from Blackfyre sympathizers being a legitimate threat in 233 AC and Haegon + Aenys' murders hardening hearts to Daemon III having little support just 3 years later in 236 AC.

I assume that Peake Uprising might be somehow connected to end of House Lothston. Or it either caused enough problems for Iron Throne that Peakes thought that they would have had a chance to win their rebellion or they thought that King Maekar would wipe out their house next and so they thought that they would lost their lands and lives anyway and just decided to go out with a bang.

2 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

I think the reason there were no Blackfyre Rebellions during Maekar's reign is because 1) Daemon III was a child and 2) The Golden Company/Blackfyre loyalists needed time to recover from their defeat in the Third, and 3) The irony of a warrior-king like Maekar presiding over a time of peace.

2 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

I assume that Peake Uprising might be somehow connected to end of House Lothston. Or it either caused enough problems for Iron Throne that Peakes thought that they would have had a chance to win their rebellion or they thought that King Maekar would wipe out their house next and so they thought that they would lost their lands and lives anyway and just decided to go out with a bang.

When I see you rationalize about questions such as this, I'm wondering if GRRM thought about all the points you made. Or if he put just a few acts to flesh a bit the reign of a king he had not much to say. And needed a way, other than again a disease, to end his reign.

I'm wondering if you are not creating context and justifications where there are none in GRRM notes? Not that I complain. On the contrary.

Roberts Rebellion, was more than Robert. 

Greyjoy Rebellion, was more than just House Greyjoy.

Blackfyre Rebellion, was more than just Daemon.

so I’m hoping that following this trend that the Peake Uprising is more than House Peake but with it called Uprising rather than Rebellion makes me think the Iron Throne at least made the initial act of war....obviously it makes me think it’s in retaliation to having the the castles taken yet the timeline doesn’t fit?

In relation to the Peake uprising, another think that seems very odd to me is the fact that they have survived as a house and still rule from Starpike. How could they maintain their lordly status after joining several rebellions and killing a king in less than 50 years? The Reynes or the Darklyns received a much harsher punishment for doing much less.

21 hours ago, James Steller said:

Was it an isolated uprising? Were there other houses involved? If so, why was it only the Peakes who got credit?

I think we should assume that it only involved the Peakes and their vassals. If it involved some more houses it would be called the "fourth blackfyre rebellion", I'd say. Specially if they had been joined by houses from other regions such as the Lothstons.

Given that the fighting seems to have been restricted to the Dornish Marshes and it involved combatants from the West, it seems as if this time it was the Crown attacking the Peakes and not the other way around. If I had to guess, I'd say that perhaps Maekar discovered that Lord Peake had been comunicating with the Blackfyres, preparing the invasion that would materialize three years later, and moved to Starpike to depose him and bring him to justice.

On 9/17/2022 at 5:59 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Based on what we know of the lore, what else do you believe happened during Maekar's reign?

AWOIAF claims that "Maekar ruled in a time of relative peace (...) and what turmoil there was in his reign was largely sparked by his own sons".  Surely Daeron, Aerion and Egg all caused all kinds of problems.

On 9/17/2022 at 5:59 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

jAnd why wasn't there another Blackfyre Rebellion during this time, given that an accursed kinslayer was now the King of the Seven Kingdoms?

The Blackfyre supporters and the Golden Company had been badly beaten in 219, just two years before Maekar's ascension. They'd need time to rebuild and reorganize. Also the Blackfyre pretender was probably a child at the moment, as Daemon's father Haegon was born at the earliest at 190 AC.

I don't think Maekar's reign was boring at all, even if there was no Blackfyre Rebellion (not that Blackfyre Rebellion are usually big wars, the second and the fourth were jokes, and the third might be a bigger conflict but perhaps not really a big war, either).

Maekar's court has the potential to be the most fucked-up court since that of the Unworthy. There were four princes there with very different temperaments and interests, two of which may have hated each other with a passion, and Maekar actually forced them to live there together. That likely worked splendidly!

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I don't think Maekar's reign was boring at all, even if there was no Blackfyre Rebellion (not that Blackfyre Rebellion are usually big wars, the second and the fourth were jokes, and the third might be a bigger conflict but perhaps not really a big war, either).

Maekar's court has the potential to be the most fucked-up court since that of the Unworthy. There were four princes there with very different temperaments and interests, two of which may have hated each other with a passion, and Maekar actually forced them to live there together. That likely worked splendidly!

All those Dunk and Egg stories that we might never get…

2 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

All those Dunk and Egg stories that we might never get…

I'm right now cynical about Winds, Dream even more, but I cant die without finishing D&E! It would answer as many mysteries as the last 2 upcoming books in asoiaf.

21 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

How could they maintain their lordly status after joining several rebellions and killing a king in less than 50 years?

I actually think we have a clue to answer this... Egg stopped their destruction after Rodger Reyne killed seven captive Peakes after the Storming of Starpike.

It seems like this is only a few years after Lady Rohanne disappeared, her son (Egg's squire) would die at Starpike as well. This is after Gerold Lannister, her latest husband, became Lord of Casterly Rock after the suspicious deaths of his brother and niece. Gerold would go on to be a major supporter of Aegon becoming king.

All this is to say, I suspect there are personal motivations involved with the Peake Uprising and a story here we just don't have enough information to make sense of it yet.

That said, I bet it was somehow Bloodraven's fault!

Archived