[Poll] How would you rate episode 105?

Ran

How would you rate episode 105?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

8 minutes ago, Ran said:

She was paralyzed from the neck down, hence no reaction when he stepped on her arm, and not a jot of movement from her.

Well, I can buy that part.  Watched the scene several times but just couldnt tell how the horse landed on her.

Edited by Ser Graymax

5.  Parts of this ep were really well done but viewers are being forced to construct motivations of the characters.

Count me among those who think Alycent was jealous of Rh getting away with so much while she has to lie under a man rotting from within.  Of course, the show does not exactly tell us that, but she does wear a green dress.  One spoken line describes the green meaning.  Too bad if you missed it. Boy howdy, Viserys is IN trouble at home.

Daemon is now full-on homicidal maniac.  He murders his wife.  Why? Other than her being a full-on bitch to him, the show hints that perhaps he is in love with Rh.  Or perhaps his wife has lands to inherit.  Or perhaps it is something else entirely.  The show specifically mentions the inheritance and the show specifically mentions  Daemon wanting Rh to run off with him. Choose your own ...

Indeed, Sir Cole also wants Rh to run away with him.  And her entire speech about being the crown, from somebody who has shown little interest in the ruling aspects, was entirely unbelievable.  Are we to assume that Rh has suddenly become interested in the welfare of the people, the throne, and the importance of ruling.  Or did she make it up on the spot.  We already know she is good at that.

Finally, Sir Cole brutally murders the bff of Laenor, the new groom.  Deliberately, purposefully, beats the living crap out of him.  I guess he is in love with Rh but really - has he thought that through?  I think not. 

Edited by lakin1013

Surprised everyone hated this so much.  I really liked it. Alicents turn made perfect sense to her she stuck out her neck for her friend and got her father fired for her troubles. I'm not even sure she realizes Rhaenyra lawyered her way aroung the question as she's said multiple times Rhaenyra swore she was a virgin and even if she did realize it's still a law by admission.

That whole ball was a mess of poltical and sexual tension. I don't find it unreasonable it errupted into murder from someone.

Edited by Darzin

31 minutes ago, Darzin said:

Surprised everyone hated this so much

I guess it activates the fandom's PTSD that GoT season 5-8 inflicted upon us. A member of the kingsguard just killing the princess's groom's friend in front of literally everyone and then facing no consequences over it does feel like something that D&D would come up with.

38 minutes ago, miyuki said:

A member of the kingsguard just killing the princess's groom's friend in front of literally everyone and then facing no consequences over it does feel like something that D&D would come up with.

I think this is becoming less of an insult than people think it is. Maybe burnt out, latter day D&D would write something like this. Early GoT D&D would have written circles around this kind of thing.

I would say Littlefinger narrating his plans to two prostitutes is far less egregious than what happened in the wedding.

Edited by IFR

50 minutes ago, miyuki said:

I guess it activates the fandom's PTSD that GoT season 5-8 inflicted upon us. A member of the kingsguard just killing the princess's groom's friend in front of literally everyone and then facing no consequences over it does feel like something that D&D would come up with.

Ser Cole could always say that Joffrey threatened the King or Rhaenyra.  That would be a good reason to beat him to a pulp and NOT face any consequences.

4 minutes ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

Ser Cole could always say that Joffrey threatened the King or Rhaenyra.  That would be a good reason to beat him to a pulp and NOT face any consequences.

Joffrey was Velaryons' honored guest and by default a guest of the crown . he had eaten their food at the party . doesn't he have guest rights? even with that excuse Cole didn't have to kill him. and if Alicent and Viserys believe the lie , Rhaenyra and Laenor won't and Cole should certainly know that there will be consequences whenever they are in power. 

12 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

Joffrey was Velaryons' honored guest and by default a guest of the crown . he had eaten their food at the party . doesn't he have guest rights? even with that excuse Cole didn't have to kill him. and if Alicent and Viserys believe the lie , Rhaenyra and Laenor won't and Cole should certainly know that there will be consequences whenever they are in power. 

Hence why Cole would side with the greens.  Also, Rhaenyra and Laenor were not privy to the discussion between Cole and Lonmouth.  A dead man can’t refute lies.  I think a threat (be it real or imaginary) would trump guest rights.

42 minutes ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

But... There are tons of witnesses who can say that Cristen attacked Joffrey out of nowhere in the middle of a dance. And Joffrey is a knight and highborn; I find it really hard to believe that other nobles would accept this as a defense for murder, let alone the Velaryons. Even Boros Blount and Meryn Trant wait for the king's orders before attacking highborn people.

Edited by Caligula_K3

One thing I realized after this episode is that there is nobody to root for, nobody to follow with interest, and cheer on.  Because I cannot not compare GOT to HOD, I realized in GOT there were many characters worth following, right from the first 2-3 episodes.  In this show, we can pick weak king, homicidal maniac, ruthless young lady, or  dutiful wife (but not for long) and a variety of other lessor folks. 

I can also compare this to Rings of Power which also presented characters worth knowing, like Nori, Durin, and Arondir.  

I realized that I don't really care about any of these characters and I wonder, why watch?  Does anyone else feel this way?

2 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

But... There are tons of witnesses who can say that Cristen attacked Joffrey out of nowhere in the middle of a dance. And Joffrey is a knight and highborn; I find it really hard to believe that other nobles would accept this as a defense for murder, let alone the Velaryons. Even Boros Blount and Meryn Trant wait for the king's orders before attacking highborn people.

But was anyone witness to their conversation.  With Lonmouth dead, Cole can say anything he wants.  He is a knight of the Kingsguard, who now has the backing of the Queen, who would dare call him a liar.

4 minutes ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

But was anyone witness to their conversation.  With Lonmouth dead, Cole can say anything he wants.  He is a knight of the Kingsguard, who now has the backing of the Queen, who would dare call him a liar.

the heir to the throne and her husband. 

Joffrey's death was the worst change from the book so far . in the book , Laenor , Rhaenyra and house Lonmouth(who probably care about their kin) have nothing against Christon Cole because it was an accident . it is only clear for the reader that Cole may have beaten up Joff and Harwin on purpose due to his anger . in the show beating a noble man to death with bare hands and screwing up King's festivities shouldn't go well, especially with both the princess and her husband against him .

I gave it an 8.  

The show continues to treat GRRM's material seriously.  I've also been impressed with the actors involved.  Especially the guy playing King Viserys.  Rhaenerya's potrayal has been pretty interesting as well.

They're also doing a good job of fleshing out the world as well.  I enjoyed the trip to High Tide as well.  I still have issues with the half-assed way GOT presented Casterly Rock and Highgarden.

Like everyone else, I thought Joffrey's murder at the wedding an odd decision.  I suppose they kind of want to have a call back to the other Joffrey's death in the Purple Wedding.  I guess they also didn't want to revisit a tourney so soon after the first episode.

Either way, it's a bit messy.  Presumably, the queen will get some witnesses to testify on behalf of Criston Cole (probably with the help of Larys, who seems interested in cozing up to the Queen).

I gave it a 6 and once again I feel rather generous. 

What in fresh hell happened here? How do you screw up 53 decent minutes in only 5 more? How do you ruin something in literal minutes? Who approved this scene? 

so if you take away the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes, the episode was a solid 7-7.5. ridiculous. 

Seriously… 

Pfff… I liked the Velaryon score a lot. The dragon shot was nice, you know you’ve got to have a dragon shot. Laenor was fine, Corlys and Rhaenys were great. I really liked the choice for the new hand, I got a whole lot of my questions from the previous episode answered. The wedding set and the driftmark set were stunning, I loved the Velaryon costumes. I loved Alicent’s power walk and her scene with Otto. 

I… really didn’t love the wedding, and no, you didn’t get the shockvalue of the red wedding and in spite of all effort, the affair remained dull because there were two too few deaths. for crying out loud… 

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

What in fresh hell happened here? How do you screw up 53 decent minutes in only 5 more? How do you ruin something in literal minutes? Who approved this scene? 

so if you take away the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes, the episode was a solid 7-7.5. ridiculous. 

I couldn't put it better . those 10 minutes killed the episode in an unredeemable way

12 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

Count me among those who think Alycent was jealous of Rh getting away with so much while she has to lie under a man rotting from within.  Of course, the show does not exactly tell us that, but she does wear a green dress.  One spoken line describes the green meaning.  Too bad if you missed it. Boy howdy, Viserys is IN trouble at home.

Indeed, Sir Cole also wants Rh to run away with him.  And her entire speech about being the crown, from somebody who has shown little interest in the ruling aspects, was entirely unbelievable.  Are we to assume that Rh has suddenly become interested in the welfare of the people, the throne, and the importance of ruling.  Or did she make it up on the spot.  We already know she is good at that.

Finally, Sir Cole brutally murders the bff of Laenor, the new groom.  Deliberately, purposefully, beats the living crap out of him.  I guess he is in love with Rh but really - has he thought that through?  I think not. 

Part 1 sort of agree. She has been shown to be more prudish so the thought of her only friend lying to her face, swearing on her dead mother sets her off. Put that together with her dad telling her that Rhenrya will have to kill Aegon to be the Queen and anyone should see why her attitude is changing.

Part 2 The part with Cole and running away..they have clearly shown that she wants to be the Queen. She doesn't want the political marriage part of being the Queen is all. She wants to have sex like a man is allowed to and still be Queen and can't understand why Cole has an issue with that. Remember she was pretty innocent and pure until her Uncle took her to the brothel and was ready to have sex with her. That is all she knows about sex, what he taught her. So she assumes Cole will go along with it.

Part 3 is the one I feel wasn't fleshed out very well. They probably need to show the Princess feeling betrayed by the Queen and taking Cole, her lover, is a good way to piss her off.

11 hours ago, miyuki said:

I only feel the conflict was rushed between them. 

The Kingsguard are higher than any knights and most Lords I think so it's pretty much hands off them with only the King having say over them.  The other KG should have been around the King and even the Princess during that chaos not abandoning them to see who is fighting, that would have been stupid.

He may have been seen as protecting a royal family member and the guy did bare a blade during the fight that he has concealed which I am sure is a major crime. Having weapons in the presence of the King and then baring the blade is probably grounds for execution.