[Poll] How would you rate episode 105?

Ran

How would you rate episode 105?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

9 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

One thing I realized after this episode is that there is nobody to root for, nobody to follow with interest, and cheer on.  Because I cannot not compare GOT to HOD, I realized in GOT there were many characters worth following, right from the first 2-3 episodes.  In this show, we can pick weak king, homicidal maniac, ruthless young lady, or  dutiful wife (but not for long) and a variety of other lessor folks. 

I can also compare this to Rings of Power which also presented characters worth knowing, like Nori, Durin, and Arondir.  

I realized that I don't really care about any of these characters and I wonder, why watch?  Does anyone else feel this way?

Curious, who did you root for in GOT?  Ned who lied to his wife and entire family and Jon? Robb who pledged to marry a Lords daughter and betrayed him costing him his and his mothers and hundreds of Stark soldiers? Jon who loved Ygritte and yet still betrayed her? Who loved Dany and still killed her. 

I was with you, I knew early on who was good and who I was rooting for only to see later the bad choices they make and the innocent lives that died because of them. This show is just letting us see their flaws early on. I also can't see how anyone is rooting against the Princess, why because she had sex? Because she didn't want her prudish friend to know about it?

I'm rooting for her and to a lesser extent Daemon. I like to be able to switch off my mind and root for someone who just says fuck it and does as he/she pleases and is willing to face the consequences. I like dark characters like that. 

I am giving it a seven, it was a solid episode, but there were some flaws that were hard to ignore.

Like, the 180º change of Ser Criston Cole. I think it was not really clever to make him want to run away with Rhaenyra, it doesn't make any sense. He is a knight of the Kingsguard. She is the heir to the Iron Throne, running away would end up getting him executed. He complains about his honour being stained and he hoped marrying Rhaenyra would wash his honour.

Again, he is a sworn knight of the Kingsguard, he mentioned chasitty vows, how does he think breaking those vows even further would restore his honour? 

I did like the lemongate hint in the background during Larys Strong conversation with Alicent, the metaphore he used was also a nod to lemongate. For those who haven't noticed, there were lemon trees painted in the background during that scene.

Also, Ser Joffrey Lonmouth was supposed to die during a tourney, not at the wedding, that fight during the wedding made no sense at all to me.

Another mistake was Alicent's green dress, that was not suppose to take place during Rhaenyra's wedding, but at the fifth anniversary feast of her marriage to King Viserys. The scene didn't make much sense, considering Rhaenyra was not even dressed in black.

There was another easter egg I liked, the rat and the puddle of blood, I think that was a reference to Cheese and Blood.

Loved the episode. Gave it a nine. Don't agree at all with those questioning Alicent's motivations. Her BFF lied to her, got her father fired, she now understands the threat to her children were Rhaenyra to take the throne. How could she take it and leave the king's firstborn son, an Aegon Targaryen no less, alive? She also believes if Rhaenyra f**ked Cole, she probably f**ked Daemon too. And yes she is jealous of Rhaenyra. She's also realising what Ned didn't. When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die and she's playing for her kids. She's gone from background character to show MVP.

I had some sympathy with Otto Hightower as well. You could look at it like he's just a mysoginist who doesn't want Rhaenyra on the throne because sexism, but you could also look at it like he is a man of principle who wants to avoid the war he (rightfully) believes will start if she succeeds Viserys. He also demonstrated significant antipathy to the dangerous and reckless Daemon.

Viserys is in the wrong. He's changing the rules that put him on the throne instead of Rhaenys, to put his daughter on the throne, after naming his firstborn son Aegon!

The actor portraying Criston Cole did a phenomenal job as did milly alcock. what a pity we will be missing her from now on. Daemon portraying his true colours was a shocking scene too, exceedingly well played. Matt Smith, part he was born to play. He has ready access to those dark depths!

A delight from start to finish. Loving it! Not being critical but it is so superior in every way to Game of Thrones its unreal.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:00 AM, Ser Not Appearing said:

Holy crap, the Allicent heel turn makes absolutely no sense as they did it on screen. That's ... disappointing.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:05 AM, lakin1013 said:

I did not understand that at all.  Her father got bad information, she knows that now.  Her friend did NOT lie to her, as RH did not have sex with Daemon.  Rh omitted the actual partner in the deed but she didn't lie.  But Alycent seemed particularly pissed about the moon tea.  Why?  Why is Alycent so pissed off?

She did lie to her about Daemon, everything she actually said was a lie if you go back and listen to it. She only didn't go through with what she was accused of because he left her. 

And the implications of what Rhaenyra did are what's important to this society, not who she did it with. If you accuse me of murder and I tell you "no - don't worry I didn't kill that person" but it turned out I killed someone else, I doubt it would be of much solace to you when it turns out I'm still a murderer. 

Alicent spoke up for Rhaenyra against her family - Something she's reminded of at the start of the episode. Her father was banished because of her, or at least that's what she believes. The realization that Rhaenrya deceived her is what pushes her over the edge and firmly back in line with her family.

I also certainly wouldn't call it a "heel turn" - She hasn't been presented negatively at all. Yet. 

A 6 for me. As most here pointed out I also think the ending was a bit of a disaster. This is supposed to be the height of Targaryen ruling, the high society. I do not believe audiences need meta explanations on the side, in professional reviews or in forums or from producers behind the scenes to guess, assume or invent why Criston attacked and killed Ser Lonmouth. This is one of the things I think It should be plain. Show don’t tell. It’s made out as a linchpin for some big characters and it’s  difficult to comprehend that plain murder with hundreds of witnesses has absolutely no repercussions or explanations so the court and characters in universe understand what the hell just happened. I just don’t see it: Viserys and Corlys simply don’t care why a knight of the KG killed someone?! Targaryens not having their house in order?

Otherwise the ep looked decent to me.

11 minutes ago, TormundsWoman said:

A 6 for me. As most here pointed out I also think the ending was a bit of a disaster. This is supposed to be the height of Targaryen ruling, the high society. I do not believe audiences need meta explanations on the side, in professional reviews or in forums or from producers behind the scenes to guess, assume or invent why Criston attacked and killed Ser Lonmouth. This is one of the things I think It should be plain. Show don’t tell. It’s made out as a linchpin for some big characters and it’s  difficult to comprehend that plain murder with hundreds of witnesses has absolutely no repercussions or explanations so the court and characters in universe understand what the hell just happened. I just don’t see it: Viserys and Corlys simply don’t care why a knight of the KG killed someone?! Targaryens not having their house in order?

Otherwise the ep looked decent to me.

I think it's pretty obvious why he attacked him. He was suicidal even before the attack. He had nothing to lose and wasn't going to take his shame being leveraged against him. 

I have no idea why he wasn't immediately arrested. 

It's a 6/10, which is a shame because it could've easily been a 9/10 if it wasn't for those 2 ridiculous moments that bookend the episode.

I really liked seeing Drfitmark, using St Michael's Mount was a smart choice. I particularly love the guided layout as well as how Corlys' trophies decorate the interior, it's rather inviting whilst also letting you know that he is an ambitious man. Nice contrast to the deliberately intimidating Red Keep.

I'm not too miffed on the green dress making its appearance a little earlier than expected. After all, it's not like the show has setup the party of the Princess and the Queen's party. Instead they've solely focused on the deteriorating relationship between the two people involved. Also, it's not like most people pay attention to costume design anyway. 

Which brings up another disappointing aspect. It's mentioned that the Velaryon kids and Rhaenyra grew up together, which comes as a surprise to show-onlies as this is the first time they've ever interacted on screen together (not to mention the two sets of actors/actresses they've gotten to play their younger and teenage selves whilst Rhaenyra has looked the same throughout all this time). I hate having to explain unnecessary story beats to show-onlies.

1 hour ago, TeethGrinder said:

I think it's pretty obvious why he attacked him. He was suicidal even before the attack. He had nothing to lose and wasn't going to take his shame being leveraged against him. 

No, I get that can be one of the reasons. Totally Makes sense from a viewer perspective who knows his situation but wouldn’t it make sense for characters in court to ask for Justice because let’s say Harry Westerling for example: wouldn’t he be horrified one of his knights just murdered someone with no explanations?! Wouldn’t the Velaryons since it was their knight? That’s what bothers me more than anything.

It's a 6/10 for me. There were several things I liked about this episode, but they were eclipsed by Cole killing Joffrey and not being arrested or anything (it was a bit funny how he was the only KG not wearing a helmet during the wedding). I didn't like Daemon killing Rhea either or the way he did it, or the lack of subtlety when they showed the pool of blood and the rats around it. I can't wait for Otto to bring a hundred cats to the Red Keep.

It was my least favorite episode so far, especially compared to the previous one, which I loved, but it's still good enough for me. Corlys & Rhaenys have a great chemistry, I like the dynamic between Laenor & Rhaenyra, and I'm curious to know what's up with Larys Strong and how is his relationship with Harwin and Lyonel. I'll miss Milly but I can't wait to see Emma D'Arcy as Rhaenyra. I hope they do a great job, especially because they'll have to "compete" with Olivia Cooke, who's a very good actress, imo.

9 hours ago, TeethGrinder said:

I have no idea why he wasn't immediately arrested. 

Please share how we would know Cole was suicidal.  Sure his 'let's eat oranges and be poor together' proposal fell flat.  Sure, he looked put-out at the wedding, as would anyone.  But what are the hints he was suicidal?

I know who it is.

Who?

The handsome paramour.

Ser Criston Cole. 
Her sworn protector?

Look at him. 
The man is fully cunt struck

I believe ser Criston has bloodied that white cloak of his with your brides maidenhead

Keep your voice down.

This is a good thing. She knows your secret and now you know hers.

Hey!  
Hey!   
Hey!

On 9/21/2022 at 2:09 AM, lakin1013 said:

Please share how we would know Cole was suicidal.  Sure his 'let's eat oranges and be poor together' proposal fell flat.  Sure, he looked put-out at the wedding, as would anyone.  But what are the hints he was suicidal?

He literally asked Alicent for a quick death? 

5 hours ago, TeethGrinder said:

He literally asked Alicent for a quick death? 

I must had missed that.  I remember him, under the tree, dagger drawn, following the directions in the Kings Guard Motto Book and Alicent stopped him.  I thought he was going to off himself because he had no future in the KG.  Surprise, it was OK that he killed somebody in plain view. 

Later, we see that the murdering KG is training the kings kids.  Sure!