Cyberpunk 2078

Werthead

4k gaming is a very expensive hobby, and one I'm not financially ready for. You need a Nvidia xx80/xx90 or AMD x800/x900 card, and you can't really skimp on the rest of the configuration either.

I built my current rig with 1440p in mind, and the jump in visual quality from 1080p is a major and very satisfying one.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a video about the latest Q3 results and investor call from CDPR, and suffice it to say the numbers are actually spectacular -- it's the best  quarter CDPR has ever had in its history, and it's largely all due to CP2077's huge boost following the airing of Edgerunners on Netflix. More details here.

Apparently they were asked about a second season of Edgerunners -- something both CDPR and Studio Trigger have said isn't really in the cards -- but apparently the reply from CDPR during the call was a little different, suggesting that they're interested in doing more in that "media space" or something such, and appear to be actively exploring doing something more like it (maybe not Edgerunners, very probably not Studio Trigger, but something). 

I thought that was the best approach anyway, Edgerunners was self contained and fantastic and most importantly finished. Plenty of other stories to tell in Night City though, and plenty of room for distinctive visual style under the umbrella of the aesthetic.

Looking at my proposed new build and I thought I'd be lucky to get it in around £2K and that appears to be the case. If I wanted to go to a 4080 to ensure maximum life for the card, it'll be more like £3K :O 

Kind of tempted to do that because I've never had a relatively top-tier PC before, and at this stage I think the jump to 4K makes more sense with the tech available than 1440p (which is fine, but has always felt like a stopgap introduced because the consoles couldn't properly get to 4K, thus limiting the entire market). But we'll see. Annoying that I didn't have the budget during this Black Friday, as there were some deals relatively close to £2K that were pretty good.

I realised I've had the 2k monitor for almost 6 months now and never changed it from 60Hz. I bumped it up to 144Hz today and I'm surprised at it being quite noticeable, to the point of feeling weird for now. I'm sure I'll adjust and then the old will suddenly feel unacceptable lol.

What are prices running for 3080s in the UK?

I'm really starting to get the itch and have priced something that's ... well, a lot. But there seems no way around the fact that highish range cards are are expensive unless you go used, and even then they tend to be expensive. Reviews of the I5-13600K made me realize that it was more than sufficient for my productivity needs, and has a much lower TDP than the i7 and i9, so less concerned about keeping it air-cooled. 

I'm hoping that the new Radeon cards will cause some price movement.

I got my 3070TI back in March, it was expensive but I thought if I kept waiting for prices to fall I'd never upgrade but was worried they'd drop straight after I got it. I did see plenty of articles claiming they did, but if that was true it didn't happen here - I looked in the black friday sales last week and the price for my card was $100AUD lower than what I paid so I made the right call.

I don't think the old sweet spot prices for graphics cards is coming back any time soon - that was always the *60TI card of the current gen at around $300AUD here.

Forgot my actual concluding point. My feeling is if you can't get that excellent value option and have to spend a lot regardless, it's worth coughing up a bit more to get the better card. Going from $300 to $500 is almost double the price, but if the difference is the same while the price of the cheaper one has tripled then that skews the value equation much more to the higher end card.

Yeah, NVidia may never be going to that low-cost version given how complicated their work is and how low their yields are. One can hope AMD does at some point, but that ship may have sailed.

That said we also appear to be hitting something of a lull in ridiculously high-requiring performance systems right now so perhaps it won't be quite as bad. The Unreal 5 engine games are still gonna be a couple of years out. 

On 11/30/2022 at 4:59 PM, Ran said:

What are prices running for 3080s in the UK?

I'm really starting to get the itch and have priced something that's ... well, a lot. But there seems no way around the fact that highish range cards are are expensive unless you go used, and even then they tend to be expensive. Reviews of the I5-13600K made me realize that it was more than sufficient for my productivity needs, and has a much lower TDP than the i7 and i9, so less concerned about keeping it air-cooled. 

I'm hoping that the new Radeon cards will cause some price movement.

About £1,000, which is mildly ridiculous as Cyberpower UK (my preferred UK seller) is selling complete gaming PCs with 3060s in them for £800. And the 3080tis are even worse, closer to £1400, at which point I'd probably say fuck it and get a 4080, as they start at around £1600 (these are all obscene prices compared to the 10xx and 20xx generations, by the way).

Who started the whole Game of The Year edition trend? There must be a "first"...

Never mind, was Googling and figured out how to narrow it down. Apparently Half-Life: Game of the Year Edition was the first recorded example, in 1999.

Some people are hoping there'll be a new trailer or some more details about Phantom Liberty at the Game Awards on Thursday.

Edited by Ran

41 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

@Ran am I going crazy or is that Idris frelling Elba that I'm seeing there at the end?!

Nope, not going crazy! He's paying Solomon Reed, a new character (new to the Cyberpunk lore as well).

ETA: Looking at it a bit closer, they seem to be doing an Escape from New York homage -- that's clearly the equivalent of Air Force 1 that's crashed, and the president's emergency lifepod was ejected. So I guess your mission is to recover the president...

Edited by Ran