Video Games- At least 2023 looks like a banger

Fez

Picked up Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4 for cheap as a bundle. Enjoying revisiting the original, looking forward to 4. But damn if I'm not still a bit pissed that VC 2 and 3 are still not available / haven't been given the remaster treatment to bring them to console / PC.

I was messing around with NES emulation after an update to EmuDeck which basically handles all the emulators for the steam deck. Anyway I started playing Zelda and farming all those rupees was annoying! I still somehow remember which bushes to burn but can't afford the candle. So I switched to Zelda II and ended up beating the first two dungeons before realizing it was 3am and I should go to sleep. 

Is it still an unpopular opinion that II is better than the original? 

21 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I would definitely assume so. 

I’m playing God of War new game+ on the hardest difficulty getting ready for the next one. I was actually expecting more pain tbh, but I’m just getting to the Valkyrie’s now so we’ll see how that goes. It’s nice being able to start with the chains of chaos too. This game is so damn fun.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:37 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

Picked up Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4 for cheap as a bundle. Enjoying revisiting the original, looking forward to 4. But damn if I'm not still a bit pissed that VC 2 and 3 are still not available / haven't been given the remaster treatment to bring them to console / PC.

I don't think it's likely. 2 and 3 were handheld-only games and would have to be completely reworked to work on PC (and 3 never even had an English translation, I believe). They also don't have much to do with 1 and are really side-stories nominally in the same world. I also get the impression they're not hugely popular with the VC fanbase, and undercut some of the things that happened in 1 and 4.

4 is the real sequel/interquel/companion game to 1, which is why it has exactly the same UI/controls, some of the same characters and is set in the same time period (and just after). Also, I think the only reason 4 happened is because the PC version of VC1 sold incredibly well. I don't get the impression that 4 sold as well (possibly because they didn't make it clear enough that you didn't need to play 2 and 3).

That reminds me that I need to get around to the anime, although it is not easily available over here.

Alright so since no one bit on Xenoblade Chronicles 3 what about suggestions for good rpgs and strategy games for the Switch?

Currently I have D2R, Hades, Zelda (need to play that), Triangle Strategy, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Slay the SpireOctopath Traveller and yeah that’s about it. Slay the Spire, Hades, D2R and Triangle are the ones I played the most.

I know Advance Wars and Tactics Ogre are both coming out later this year and I want to get both. Any other good options? I know one of the Tales games is available. Vesperia I think so is that worth it? Maybe some Dragon Quest or FF game? (I guess there is always 4/6)

3 hours ago, Arakasi said:

Alright so since no one bit on Xenoblade Chronicles 3 what about suggestions for good rpgs and strategy games for the Switch?

Currently I have D2R, Hades, Zelda (need to play that), Triangle Strategy, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Slay the SpireOctopath Traveller and yeah that’s about it. Slay the Spire, Hades, D2R and Triangle are the ones I played the most.

I know Advance Wars and Tactics Ogre are both coming out later this year and I want to get both. Any other good options? I know one of the Tales games is available. Vesperia I think so is that worth it? Maybe some Dragon Quest or FF game? (I guess there is always 4/6)

I recommend Aegis Rim: 13 Sentinels. It is mostly a complex visual novel with a strategy RPG bolted on the side. But if you're up for that, and enjoy '80s sci-fi nostalgia, it's really good. Probably 70% visual novel (with some light puzzles), 25% strategy RPG, and 5% reviewing the slowly unlocking codex and timeline trying to make sense of the plot. 

Also, I've haven't played them but I've heard the Mario+Rabbids games are surprisingly good tactical RPGs.

4 hours ago, Arakasi said:

I've been playing the Trails series.  If you are sticking with Switch, you're a bit limited on which games are available, but Trails from Zero just came out and is a decent starting point.  (There's a long overarching storyline beginning with Trails in the Sky, but that is a PSP game that is most easily available on PC.)

On 10/17/2022 at 8:30 PM, RumHam said:

I was messing around with NES emulation after an update to EmuDeck which basically handles all the emulators for the steam deck. Anyway I started playing Zelda and farming all those rupees was annoying! I still somehow remember which bushes to burn but can't afford the candle. So I switched to Zelda II and ended up beating the first two dungeons before realizing it was 3am and I should go to sleep. 

I've beaten every other console Zelda and many of the handheld ones, but I've never gotten past the first dungeon in Zelda II. Maybe I should try again...

@Arakasi I'm personally going to pick up Persona V this weekend. I'm usually not into JRPGs anymore, let alone anime JRPGs but it seems like a cool and unique game. But you may have played it already on another console.

And yes, if you like tactics, Mario Rabbids is great. I picked up the first one when it was on sale this summer (along with the Donkey Kong expansion) and had a blast with it. The second, which just came out, is supposed to be even better.

As for Xenoblade... Those who love it, really love it. I played the first one  on the Wii over a decade ago and enjoyed parts of it, but mainly found it to be a cheesy slog. I watched videos of 2 and 3 and they just don't seem like they're for me (especially 2). Maybe watch a let's play and see what you think?

As far as RPGs, you can't go wrong with Dragon Quest XI. I mean, if you've played a JRPG ever you know what to expect, it breaks no boundaries, but it's a huge, polished event of a game. Old-school JRPGness taken to the max

On a much smaller note if Slay the Spire is your jam you might enjoy Steamworld: Hand of Gilgamech, a deckbuilding RPG in the Steamworld universe. All the Steamworld games are fun so... yeah. Worth a try.

If you're counting Zelda and Hades as RPGs, there's oodles of top-down Zelda-ish type things that might tickle your fancy. Eastward is one that came out last year that I still need to finish but it's very cool and really pretty. Ocean's Heart is very old-school Zelda in its look and gameplay but has an openness to the world and the way it directs- or doesn't- you round the map that you don't usually get in them. 

I don't play as many strategy games as I used to which is a shame coz I used to love them. Trying to find the time and concentration to get into Triangle Strategy myself. But I do remember this catching my eye a little while back.

9 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection has arrived on PC. 

Tonight: I feast on Nathan Drake! 

Erm...

I'm holding out until Uncharted 1-3 finally make it over.

Very bizarre to start porting a series to the PC with the fourth and fifth entries.

Finally feel like I vaguely have an idea of what I'm doing in Terra Invicta, and it's a lot of fun now. The game really doesn't help you know what you need to do or why at all, the data presented is incredibly noisy and most of it is very much useless, and there's little feedback to tell you that you're doing the right things. But with guides and reading a lot and reducing the game into some manageable chunks it's pretty awesome. It's also both cool and horrifying that Russia and Ukraine start at war, though I almost can't ever resist ending it and giving back Crimea to Ukraine by my fiendish CIA assets. 

Honestly, I'm almost at the point where the whole alien invasion thing isn't nearly as cool as a solar system colonization simulator. I love how long it takes to get to Mars or Ceres, or how important it is to build space-based assets for building things so you can really expand, or how the ships design requires delta-V requirements and thrust. The alien part is not as compelling by comparison, at least so far. It's a LONG game. 

But there's a TON of really superfluous crap in this game that you can happily skip (there are, like, 50 different flavors of ship engines) and the game could use streamlining and combining basic things into general values. 

I broke the bluetooth receiver for my steam controller while moving. Don't think I can replace it since it's discontinued. Wasn't that fond of it anyway.

What's a good controller to use for PC? Would a regular PS/XBox controller do? Or are there other brands that I should look out for? Don't think I have any requirements other than wireless and USB rechargeable. Are there any pitfalls like not being recognised by Steam/Xbox Game Pass/other platforms?

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'm holding out until Uncharted 1-3 finally make it over.

Very bizarre to start porting a series to the PC with the fourth and fifth entries.

It seems unlikely that 1-3 will be released. As reported by Dark Horizons

One of the obvious questions that has arisen from first-time players is why they opted to go with this first and not ‘The Nathan Drake Collection’ which includes the first three “Uncharted” games. Gyrling says the three PS3-era games would require “a major overhaul visually to stand-up to modern PC releases and the expectations players may have”. He does not indicate if the company has any plans to remake those games for modern machines like they did with “The Last of Part I”.

Visual overhaul? Dude, give modders five minutes and they'll get you sorted!

Archived