Video Games- At least 2023 looks like a banger

Fez

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

It seems unlikely that 1-3 will be released. As reported by Dark Horizons

Visual overhaul? Dude, give modders five minutes and they'll get you sorted!

Bullshit.  Those games are still gorgeous.  The PS3 was ahead of it’s time.

I've started playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and that game is ridiculously addictive for any old Baldur's Gate fan. I like the characters, I like the game mechanics, I like the art, I like the story - you're not SAVING THE WORLD (or at least there is no indication of it so far), and the storyline provides suitable motivations for characters of any alignment. Kingdom mechanics are meh (great idea, poor implementation). I've played it for 20-30 hours at normal difficulty, and have now restarted at Core after getting familiar with it.

So far it's not my favorite out of the new wave of isometric RPGs (that would be Pillars of Eternity 2), but it's pretty close.

20 minutes ago, Darryk said:

So PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X, what's the verdict?

I mean there's still no compelling reason to upgrade, no? What can't I play on a PS4 or Xbox one? I feel like they just announced something wouldn't be coming to last gen, a batman game? 

As someone who hasn't had a non-laptop PC in years I'm loving the Steam Deck and am glad I put my $400 there instead of a PS5. I still wanna play Demon Souls and Bloodborne one day though. 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I mean there's still no compelling reason to upgrade, no? What can't I play on a PS4 or Xbox one? I feel like they just announced something wouldn't be coming to last gen, a batman game? 

As someone who hasn't had a non-laptop PC in years I'm loving the Steam Deck and am glad I put my $400 there instead of a PS5. I still wanna play Demon Souls and Bloodborne one day though. 

Is the new God of War game going to be on PS4?

28 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Is the new God of War game going to be on PS4?

It seems so, from wikipedia:

A sequel, Ragnarök, is scheduled for a November 2022 release on the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 and will be the finale to the Norse era.

Never played the franchise personally, I gather it's another exclusive. Sony has so many more exclusives.

29 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Other than just vastly improving running all your games?  I suppose not. I'd liken it more to upgrading your pc rather than getting a new system but then that's the point.

Just now, Slurktan said:

Other than just vastly improving running all your games?  I suppose not. I'd liken it more to upgrading your pc rather than getting a new system but then that's the point.

Fair enough. I'm not an FPS person, I don't mind 30. My only thing is once I've played a game at 60 it's hard to go back. 

Ironically when Battlefield 2042 came out the last gen experience was far superior. They'd doubled the number of players to 128 total on PC and new consoles. The maps weren't very well designed and while they made the 128 player versions larger people still tended to clump up at certain points. So it was just too hectic and being sniped shortly after spawning was too common. 

The game had a lot of other problems too but it both ran and played a lot better with just 64 players and smaller maps. 

I worked at Xbox for a long time, so take that with a grain of salt etc. 

For me it comes down to whether you want Game Pass or whether you want specific exclusives. Both consoles feel 'better' beyond just getting newer games - more graphical enhancements, loading times are absurdly faster, both are less noisy, controllers are better, etc. Both will feel like you're getting an upgrade, and both allow you to play most (in PS5) or all (Xbox) of your old games too. 

There are a few very basic performance changes from game to game, but honestly they are incredibly miniscule. At least right now there is no major difference like there was in the past. 

The real differentiator is if you want Game pass or if you want those specific exclusives. Sony right now has a lot of really good exclusive games and if that's what you want to play, go for it. Xbox has game pass, and it's one of the most amazing values in gaming we've ever had. My personal take is gamepass because I have kids, and being able to play a ton of different games for cheap every month and jump in on new stuff all the time is a massive win for me. If you want to do things like cloud gaming Xbox is clearly better than Sony too, but that also tends to be a bit niche. Sony does have a better VR thing if that's your bag, but it's still not super great and there aren't that many compelling reasons. 

Now, that said. If you're planning on playing Starfield? Xbox is where it's at. 

Yeah I've had my eye on that. I saw one review that was quite disappointing, and none of the other sources I know enough to trust have reviewed it, but I think I'm gonna bite anyway coz I feel like potentially the reviewer had wrong expectations of what the game was gonna be and measured it against them and not what the game is actually doing. And I usually enjoy a good digging game (except, oddly enough, for Spelunky, which I've never got into).

On 10/22/2022 at 12:49 AM, IlyaP said:

It seems unlikely that 1-3 will be released. As reported by Dark Horizons

I remember telling my friend in 2000 that Final Fantasy IX would be released on PC and he scoffed and I was finally vindicated in 2016. I'll wait.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I remember telling my friend in 2000 that Final Fantasy IX would be released on PC and he scoffed and I was finally vindicated in 2016. I'll wait.

A SIXTEEN YEAR WAIT

Damn.

On 10/25/2022 at 10:18 AM, RumHam said:

I upgraded specifically to play Starfield. Then they went and delayed it. However, I was surprised at how fast I can load up and get into the Store or a game. It's actually been a big benefit as I have limited time to play on work nights. Been playing Stellaris a ton.

10 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I upgraded specifically to play Starfield. Then they went and delayed it. However, I was surprised at how fast I can load up and get into the Store or a game. It's actually been a big benefit as I have limited time to play on work nights. Been playing Stellaris a ton.

I suspect Starfield will run on the Steam Deck. I'll probably have to make a windows 11 partition though.

God I love Stellaris. I'd still love to organize a quick 4+ player multiplayer match. I've never gotten to play the multiplayer. 

Archived