Video Games- At least 2023 looks like a banger

Fez

Absolutely stoked for Hades 2. 

I struggled mightily with Hades when I was playing keyboard-and-mouse. Revisited it with a controller - something I have hardly used in nearly 20 years so I never have become adept with thumbsticks - and had a stellar time. I'll never be good enough mechanically to beat higher heats, but I still do a playthrough or two every few weeks just because the gameplay is so satisfying. Once I became competent with movement, I really dove into the boon mechanics and it's become one of the most satisfying games I've ever played.

Hades 2 will be an instant buy, although it might be a bit annoying trying it the instant Early Access opens, whereas I didn't pick up the original until it had fully left 2 years of EA and was completely polished.

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

Midnight Suns is shaping up to be a solid game,

Yeah, I've been enjoying it quite a bit too. Though I agree the abbey exploration is kinda odd.

I think the heroes can seem over- or under-powered depending on your playstyle. To me, Ghost Rider feels incredibly weak, to the point that I suspect I'm missing something fundamental about him. By contrast, any mission I take Dr. Strange goes smooth as anything. He just generates so much heroism that I barely play cards sometimes, and just go for near endless environmental damage.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

Yeah, I've been enjoying it quite a bit too. Though I agree the abbey exploration is kinda odd.

I think the heroes can seem over- or under-powered depending on your playstyle. To me, Ghost Rider feels incredibly weak, to the point that I suspect I'm missing something fundamental about him. By contrast, any mission I take Dr. Strange goes smooth as anything. He just generates so much heroism that I barely play cards sometimes, and just go for near endless environmental damage.

Ghost Rider is cool once he gets the car going, and his later tier abilities are pretty impressive. He does have a weakness in that a lot of his skills rely around drops, but if you're going to use those you might as well take Magik and use her portals instead, which are far more versatile and don't have a percentage chance to fail. Not to mention that Magik has the biggest area attack spells in the game I've seen so far, which makes her extremely formidable.

Also just met Wolverine, who has a very impressive ability to chain together attacks. I've had four reinforcements show up and Wolverine just kills them all instantly.

I'm finding some characters are a bit too reliant on heroism points (like Captain Marvel), but what I hadn't fully appreciated is that if you upgrade their cards, the heroism cost can reduce or even vanish, leaving their cost-capped cards effectively the same as ordinary attack cards, but they still count as cost cards. So that means you could theoretically have all 12 cards in your character's ability pile with none requiring any heroism costs at all.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:44 PM, RumHam said:

I will be giving Supergiant more of my money.

On 12/9/2022 at 10:36 AM, polishgenius said:

Goddamn. It's unreal how Dead Cells keeps growing without dropping in quality. I also love their animated trailers. One of the free DLC from the past year added a skin where you can play as the animated version of the Beheaded.

On 12/9/2022 at 2:11 PM, Werthead said:

I'm finding some characters are a bit too reliant on heroism points (like Captain Marvel), but what I hadn't fully appreciated is that if you upgrade their cards, the heroism cost can reduce or even vanish, leaving their cost-capped cards effectively the same as ordinary attack cards, but they still count as cost cards. So that means you could theoretically have all 12 cards in your character's ability pile with none requiring any heroism costs at all.

You also start getting more cards that heavily boost heroism values (e.g., Iron Man has one that doubles your current point total), or temporarily removing heroism costs (Nico starts with one, Empower, from the beginning). I rarely find heroism costs to be a major hinderance. I've also started getting card modifications, which can including granting extra heroism on play (I assume ones also exist to reduce heroism costs, but I haven't seen those yet).

2 hours ago, Fez said:

You also start getting more cards that heavily boost heroism values (e.g., Iron Man has one that doubles your current point total), or temporarily removing heroism costs (Nico starts with one, Empower, from the beginning). I rarely find heroism costs to be a major hinderance. I've also started getting card modifications, which can including granting extra heroism on play (I assume ones also exist to reduce heroism costs, but I haven't seen those yet).

Empower + Hunter's Patience and Bladestorm cards is pretty revolting in terms of its potential to just unleash insane damage every turn.

I do think it's important not to get too dependent on single strategies, since if a hero gets injured they're sitting out the next 2-3 missions (or at least the next 1, once you get the Combat Recovery, er, Bathing Pool), but I have to say the combination of Hunter + Nico + Magik, or a group with two of them in it, is pretty formidable. You can't go too wrong with any combination of heroes, but that trio is pretty hardcore at the moment.

I need to use Spider-Man more often, literally as some of my research projects are locked because I've only taken him on a couple of missions. His abilities are pretty solid but not really exciting.

Captain America just joined the team and he has some pretty cool area-of-effect and chained attacks, which alongside Magik can work really well to thin out encounters with large numbers of enemies. I've also got Blade up to the point where his abilities have really come to life (his combos with Nico's Empower ability are also pretty sick).

I have to say they've done a good job of really balancing out the characters' abilities and giving you a lot of good options. I do think they're very skimpy with the rewards though, particularly money which seems to permanantly be in short supply.

ETA: The What We Do in the Shadows reference was also very amusing.

5 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla has no right being so fun. It feels like the perfection union of Skyrim and Witcher 3 and I think I'm in love.

how far in are you?  I was really liking it but then it starting getting repetitive and then it was just too long

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

how far in are you?  I was really liking it but then it starting getting repetitive and then it was just too long

I'm on hour 11, and am in the process of retaking Grantebridge over in England. I've honestly never enjoyed an Assassin's Creed game so much. And I own and have played all of them. The game makes it very easy to ignore tedious fetch quests and side quests and get on with the main plot. And goodness gracious is it ever fun. 

6 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I'm on hour 11, and am in the process of retaking Grantebridge over in England. I've honestly never enjoyed an Assassin's Creed game so much. And I own and have played all of them. The game makes it very easy to ignore tedious fetch quests and side quests and get on with the main plot. And goodness gracious is it ever fun. 

It does start very fun. The only real issue (besides the Vikings being so civilian-conscious) is that even ignoring most side stuff the game is absurdly long, without ever really changing up the gameplay. But if you can avoid burnout, you're in for a good time.

For me, I think around hour 40, knowing here were still like another 50 hours left (and that's skipping everything besides the major side quests), I just gave up.

8 hours ago, IlyaP said:

It is very fun, I'd advise once you start getting a little burnout (if any) then take a break for a week or two it helps.  Also there will be a mission coming where you have to choose between frontal assault and taking boats.  Take the boats, one of the most cinematic missions I've ever played.

These posts make me want to get back into AC Odyssey, which I loved for 30 hours and then completely burnt out on. It's a really fun game. But I think the problem with it, aside from it being absurdly long, is that you really did have to do a lot of sidequests to level up enough to do main quests. If Valhalla does away with that, it's a huge step in the right direction.

Best AC is still, for me, Black Flag by far. Perfect size, amazing pirate simulator, and for once you have a protagonist who (for most of the game) seems to realize that the Assassin/Templar crap is pretty dumb.

Archived