Food Fight! Ice cream -vs- cake

LongRider

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Go drink a Miller's lite at the kid's table with some sad cheesecake.   Harsh!

Cake and Ice Cream can certainly work together in stomping this third party's chances of having a place at the table.

Unless by pie they mean pizza. Then we should keep an open mind about dark money desserts. 

While pizza pie has its own issues (pineapple) I believe you have found the common ground we can work with. 

10 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Pie is absolute trash. The only good part of pie is the filling and that is better in every other form you can get it.

Cake is good but ice cream is just consistently better. 

Then you’ve never had well prepared pie crust.  It is a wonderful savory buttery counterpoint to the sweet goodness of the pie filling.  Pies, cakes, and ice cream.  They’re all delicious.

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Then you’ve never had well prepared pie crust.  It is a wonderful savory buttery counterpoint to the sweet goodness of the pie filling.  Pies, cakes, and ice cream.  They’re all delicious.

Pick a side, Switzerland! 

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m picking the side that likes a variety of desserts and sweet snacks.  I love rice pudding too.

For this fight you need a Gatling gun with all that ammo. 

28 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I've had a very good pie crust and all it does is act as a satisfactory holder of tasty filling. Everything that is good in pie is better without that pie crust. Heck, cake goes better with everything filling wise than pie does. 

7 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

I've had a very good pie crust and all it does is act as a satisfactory holder of tasty filling. Everything that is good in pie is better without that pie crust. Heck, cake goes better with everything filling wise than pie does. 

I disagree.  I love well made pie crust.  It’s flaky and delicious.

Ice cream is the pizza of dessert - available everywhere, pretty great high end options if you’re lucky, and even the corporate stuff isn’t atrocious.  I’ve had an artisanal chocolate churro dough ice cream I’d probably murder someone for, and gotten sick after eating a whole pint of phish food (weed was involved).  But it’s short-lived, and you can’t linger over it and enjoy it

Cake has range.  Cake can be a flaming disaster or a triumph of culinary artistry.  A five year-old child can make a cake at home, in microwave or oven, a feat ice cream has yet to accomplish.  I’ve had a German chocolate cake I would definitely murder someone for.  We celebrate birth and marriage with iconic cakes.  We tell our peasants to eat cake.  Cake is all the misery and beauty of humanity.

Don’t even get me started on cheesecake.

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I disagree.  I love well made pie crust.  It’s flaky and delicious.

It's okay. Just like your views on Republicans you'll come back in 10 years and wonder how you ever liked pie over cake, or ice cream, or anything

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Cheesecake can do anything ice cream does (good, bad, or ugly) while at room temperature and with a delicious cookie dandruff crust.  It’s an unholy abomination, but a lateral move from it to ice cream.  Ice cream wins on a hot day, I guess.

ETA: to be clear, by no means do I think cheesecake is a superior.

25 minutes ago, Darzin said:

You'll take my Key Lime pie from my cold dead hands.

Knife fight at midnight on a beach to settle this!

13 minutes ago, Starkess said:

I love both! I think that cake has a wider variance. The highs are high but the lows are low. Whereas ice cream is almost always at least decent, but more difficult to break into the sublime category

Berry Lime Sublime is peak, and having sherbet it fucking counts for team ice cream! 

5 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Cake.  Not even a question.  Fluffy, buttery, can eat in all weathers, and does not cause gastrointestinal issues for the lactose intolerant. 

Not so good for the coeliacs though (there are exceptions).

I hate to be the 'let's define our terms' guy but what are we including as cake here? Cheesecake has been mentioned as in that group but brownies are not? So no cookies, doughnuts, or buns?

How about sorbets? I'd ask about frozen yoghurt but nobody likes frozen yoghurt.

Archived