Food Fight! Ice cream -vs- cake

LongRider

Though I’ve been known to down some moose tracks, and I do love a chocolate dip from Dairy Queen (is that actually ice cream?  I don’t know - I usually regret having one, but at the time I love it), cake does not inflict head pain.  The Ice Cream Headache is a thing and it doesn’t occur with cake.  #teamcake

15 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Though I’ve been known to down some moose tracks, and I do love a chocolate dip from Dairy Queen (is that actually ice cream?  I don’t know - I usually regret having one, but at the time I love it), cake does not inflict head pain.  The Ice Cream Headache is a thing and it doesn’t occur with cake.  #teamcake

Brain freeze builds character.

DQ counts. Blizzards are the obvious go to, but my fav was always a vanilla/chocolate swirl cone dipped in frozen chocolate sauce. And that speaks to the versatility of ice cream. It comes in a bowl, in a cup or shake, on a cone, in a taco, deep fried, etc. Cake's just a sad one trick pony by comparison.  The best thing cake has ever done is cake doughnuts and that shit doesn't count in this all important debate.

Cake eaters can kick rocks.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

DQ counts. Blizzards are the obvious go to, but my fav was always a vanilla/chocolate swirl cone dipped in frozen chocolate sauce. And that speaks to the versatility of ice cream. It comes in a bowl, in a cup or shake, on a cone, in a taco, deep fried, etc. Cake's just a sad one trick pony by comparison.  The best thing cake has ever done is cake doughnuts and that shit doesn't count in this all important debate.

The method of delivery and accoutrement  is not “versatility” as much as a sign that ice cream is weak and needs to be carried by something stronger (like a sauce or a cone or pieces of cake embedded or a slice of pie).  Serve ice cream in a toilet bowl - soft serve.

I will credit DQ with the peanut buster parfait, which was the first salty/sweet combo I think that made it to primetime in the US, decades before fancy salted caramels.

57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was going to ask you to marry me if I was still single at 50, but these are deep and irreconcilable differences. A bridge I cannot build.

Also, your contraction of “cake is”….is questionable. As is the lack of hyphenation on “one-trick”. We aren’t compatible, much as I adore you.

The above is troubling, but…your lack of respect for cake…TY, HOW COULD YOU???

49 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

The method of delivery and accoutrement  is not “versatility” as much as a sign that ice cream is weak and needs to be carried by something stronger (like a sauce or a cone or pieces of cake embedded or a slice of pie).  Serve ice cream in a toilet bowl - soft serve.

You seriously just undercut team cake, because the best part of cakes is the frosting, not the actual part that's baked and constitutes the base of every cake that isn't ice cream cake (more points for ice cream). Talk about needing to be carried...

13 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

The above is troubling, but…your lack of respect for cake…TY, HOW COULD YOU???

Buckle in and get ready to be blown away. I've never even finished a piece of cake in my life as far as I can recall because that's how subpar it is. 

I think the biggest dealbreaker for said hypothetical wedding is that I wouldn't care at all what kind of cake we had. Not sure if that makes me great for wedding planning or an absolute monster considering 99% of my responses would be some form of "Sure honey, whatever you want on the menu is fine as long as I can get a steak and some nice scotch." 

Many years ago Ben & Jerry's actually did come out with a flavor I really liked...

It was only out for a few months though and then was infamously added to their hall of shame.

The flavor was peanut butter and jelly. I think I bought a pint of it 3 or 4 times before it was gone for ever.

It was vanilla ice cream (or maybe peanut butter ice cream?) with chunks of peanut butter and a swirl of grape jelly running through it.

I guess people got grossed out by the idea of grape jelly in ice cream? But if you like drinking an ice cold glass of milk with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich the taste combo is not much different, only colder and sweeter.

Maybe if they used a strawberry jelly swirl it would have been more popular? Oh well...

One last thing...on the subject of a taste combo that does gross me out...

I absolutely hate, detest, can not stand...creamsicles!!!

Orange is my favorite flavor for popcicles, hard candy, soda. It's a beautiful, wonderful, aromatic taste explosion!

Vanilla is one of my favorite flavors of ice cream, if not, the main favorite. It's smooth, sweet, rich and soothing.

So you'd think put 2 good things together and you have an even better thing? But nope, not with these 2 flavors. They can work with other flavors, just not eachother, they can also be perfect just by themselves. They are both strong and proud flavors and if you put them both together they want to do really different things to your taste buds and they confuse the mouth. To me it's like adding orange juice to a vanilla milk shake...:stillsick:

I hate creamsicles!!!

Being as the proposed union of Chataya and Tywin has already hit a rocky road instead of the sweet cream of wedded bliss, and we witness instead the blandness of a vanilla trying to pass as butterscotch, we must admit that even with a serving of time and mint chocolate chip, what could of been a vibrant Spuomi has instead degraded to a sticky tutti-frutti. 
Gods help us all. 

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You seriously just undercut team cake, because the best part of cakes is the frosting, not the actual part that's baked and constitutes the base of every cake that isn't ice cream cake (more points for ice cream). Talk about needing to be carried...

“a steak and some nice scotch." 

Frosting is a complementary ingredient of the cake, not some frippery like an edible handle or a cherry and sprinkles and all of the flash needed to cover ice cream’s weaker points.  

Lick the salt off your steak and throw it over your shoulder, suck on the ice cube after you pour your scotch in the toilet (next to the ice cream) - cake and frosting are an elegant and timeless pairing.

13 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Frosting is a complementary ingredient of the cake, not some frippery like an edible handle or a cherry and sprinkles and all of the flash needed to cover ice cream’s weaker points.  

Frosting looks in the mirror every morning and wishes it was ice cream.

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Frosting looks in the mirror every morning and wishes it was ice cream.

Ice cream steps out of the front door on a temperate day and 3 minutes later is crying and trying its best to do a frosting impression.  But tragically, it never has the strength and slowly melts (regardless of flavor) into its natural, original, and inedible form - clown diarrhea.

6 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Nope. 

That is all. 

Ice cream > frosting and cake is nothing without frosting. Talk about a losing hand here.

5 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Ice cream steps out of the front door on a temperate day and 3 minutes later is crying and trying its best to do a frosting impression.  But tragically, it never has the strength and slowly melts (regardless of flavor) into its natural, original, and inedible form - clown diarrhea.

Ice cream is good weeks after you buy it, even when exposed to the sun. Cake is worthless the second you hand your money over and you'll probably have to throw a lot of it away hours later. And it spoils in the sun too. Cake is basically fragile toxic masculinity. 

Hold up.  Frosting is an assumed topping on cake just as chocolate syrup, whipped cream, or whatever other toppings you prefer are the same for ice cream.  Do we really have to argue this?  Fucking heathens.

Archived