Keep Theon Close (Alternate History)

MattJ

Robb sends his trusted foster brother Theon to treat with Theon's lord father Balon Greyjoy about forming an alliance between North and Iron Islands wherein each would achieve independence.

Balon was planning to attack the North with Robb's armies occupied in the Riverlands. The biggest thing holding him back was his last son being held hostage by the Starks. Theon being sent home was the greatest boon Balon could have asked for, though he at least outwardly despises Theon for his soft ways.

But what if Theon had remained at Robb's side? A minor Lord or trusted messenger is sent to Pyke instead. Does Balon still attack the North? Lannisport is also preoccupied, does he strike there first? If he does attack the North, does Robb take Theon's head? Does he send Theon as a peace emissary?

Speculate with me yall I am curious.

1 minute ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Belongs totally not in Gen Chat.

I'm not sure if this is Yoda or valley girl speak for - "this does not belong in Gen Chat."  Is that so hard?  ...Wait, don't answer that.

• 4 months later...
On 9/22/2022 at 7:14 PM, MattJ said:

Robb sends his trusted foster brother Theon to treat with Theon's lord father Balon Greyjoy about forming an alliance between North and Iron Islands wherein each would achieve independence.

Balon was planning to attack the North with Robb's armies occupied in the Riverlands. The biggest thing holding him back was his last son being held hostage by the Starks. Theon being sent home was the greatest boon Balon could have asked for, though he at least outwardly despises Theon for his soft ways.

But what if Theon had remained at Robb's side? A minor Lord or trusted messenger is sent to Pyke instead. Does Balon still attack the North? Lannisport is also preoccupied, does he strike there first? If he does attack the North, does Robb take Theon's head? Does he send Theon as a peace emissary?

Speculate with me yall I am curious.

Read when I was either 14 or 15 in Sophomore year

Robb was favorite character. Then, of course, Theon. :crying:

I remember reading then, as a kid, and hoping Theon would convince his father or his sister or somebody to attack the Lannisters instead. Casterly Rock! 

It didn't make any sense, Balon's plan. You're gonna go seize the north? WHY? Ugh you're a PIRATE

Lannisport is your ONLY enemy if you side with the Starks. Who are already offering you terms that you can REPLY to instead of accepting outright. Pitch to Balon as such:

Casterly Rock isn't an enemy. It's cheese. Whether Tywin's speech about 

"pounds or ounces, the answer is the same..." - NOT George RR Martin

is true or not doesn't matter. You create dynamic where Lannisters MUST choose between 

1) Defending Lannister claim - KINGDOM/capital

2) Defending Lannister home - The Rock

3) Striking at enemies (Starks/Tyrells/BaratheonREBEL) 

All options exist in opposition after the destruction of the 2nd Lannister host. 

Board state would have become unstable enough that stability would suddenly seem preferable- opportunity for profitable peace to all parties/release of prisoners and return to unity under Baratheon-"Baratheon" Kingship (execute Stannis) and Tyrell-"Baratheon" marriage. 

Pay off the Greyjoys

Give the Starks back their daughter(s) <_<

"Peace in our time"

Archived