Upcoming TV/Movies: Rumours, Bargains and Lies

SpaceChampion

Absolutely nothing happened on cable television today.  Rumours otherwise should be ignored, for your own sanity.

In other news, Vince Gilligan has a show, starring Rhea Seehorn, for Apple TV+, with a 2 season order.

The untitled project, described as a blended, grounded genre drama, has received a two-season straight-to-series order from the streamer.

Gilligan will serve as showrunner and executive produce through his High Bridge Productions. Former Sony Pictures TV president Jeff Frost, who oversaw the project prior to recently stepping down from his executive post, will also executive produce, along with Diane Mercer. Jenn Carroll is producing for High Bridge.

As Deadline reported exclusively last month, there was a lot of anticipation for Gilligan’s pitch, with at least 8-9 networks and platforms lined up to hear it and read his script. There were multiple rounds of bidding for the project, which I hear was seeking a series order and a budget in the vicinity of $13.5 million-$15 million an episode — on the high end for a premium drama with significant genre elements but not in the jaw-dropping $20M-plus-an-episode range for shows like LOTR: The Rings of Power, House of the Dragon or the now-shelved Demimonde.

“After 15 years, I figured it was time to take a break from writing antiheroes… and who’s more heroic than the brilliant Rhea Seehorn? It’s long past time she had her own show, and I feel lucky to get to work on it with her,” said Gilligan.

I repeat: Absolutely nothing happened on cable television today.

Dennis Quaid To Star In Steven Soderbergh’s ‘Full Circle’ HBO Max Limited Series
https://deadline.com/2022/09/dennis-quaid-steven-soderberghs-full-circle-hbo-max-limited-series-1235120641/

Dennis Quaid is set as a lead opposite Zazie Beetz, Claire Danes and Timothy Olyphant in the HBO Max limited series Full Circle, from director Steven Soderbergh and writer Ed Solomon.

Soderbergh will direct all six episodes of the series and serve as executive producer, with Solomon as writer and executive producer. Casey Silver is also an executive producer. The trio re-teams after working together on the 2021 HBO Max film No Sudden Move.

New ‘Cloverfield’ Film At Paramount Sets Babak Anvari as Director
https://deadline.com/2022/09/cloverfield-paramount-babak-anvari-1235125119/

EXCLUSIVE: Following the success of Top Gun: Maverick and Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Paramount Pictures is looking to get the wheels turning on another popular franchise as sources tell Deadline a new Cloverfield pic is in the works with Babak Anvari directing and Joe Barton writing the script. J.J. Abrams is producing from Bad Robot, along with Hannah Minghella and Jon Cohen. Bryan Burk, Matt Reeves, and Drew Goddard will executive produce.

As with any Cloverfield pic, plot details are being kept under wraps. It also is unknown how this new installment will link to its predecessors, whether its straight sequel to the original or an anthology piece that is set in the Cloverfield universe.

As for Anvari, the film marks his first studio tentpole, having cut his teeth in the arthouse thriller world. His first film, 2016’s Under the Shadow, won him a BAFTA for Outstanding Debut Filmmaker. His second film Wounds, starring Armie Hammer and Zazie Beets, premiered at Sundance 2019 and at Cannes Directors’ Fortnight and was released later that year on Hulu. Babak also has partnered with Lucan Toh and their company, Two & Two, has a TV development deal at AMC, where they are developing a slate of projects.

He most recently directed his first major studio film with the Netflix pic I Came By, starring George Mackay, Kelly Macdonald and Hugh Bonneville.

‘True Detective’: John Hawkes, Christopher Eccleston, Fiona Shaw Among Season 4 Cast Of HBO Anthology Series
https://deadline.com/2022/09/true-detective-night-country-john-hawkes-christopher-eccleston-fiona-shaw-finn-bennett-anna-lambe-season-4-cast-hbo-1235125712/

HBO is rounding out the cast for True Detective: Night Country. John Hawkes (Deadwood, Winter’s Bone), Christopher Eccleston (The Leftovers), Fiona Shaw (Killing Eve), Finn Bennett (Domina) and Anna Lambe (Three Pines) are set as leads alongside Jodie Foster and Kali Reis in Season 4 of the crime anthology series.

In True Detective: Night Country, from writer-director-showrunner Issa López, when the long winter night falls in Ennis, Alaska, the six men that operate the Tsalal Arctic Research Station vanish without a trace. To solve the case, Detectives Liz Danvers (Foster) and Evangeline Navarro (Reis) will have to confront the darkness they carry in themselves, and dig into the haunted truths that lie buried under the eternal ice.

Amber Midthunder, George Takai, and Danny Pudi and more added to the cast in the live action adaptation of ATLA

https://gizmodo.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-netflix-full-cast-1849586572

Midthunder is playing Princess Yue of the Northern Water Tribe.   Pudi plays the Mechanist.

The Water Tribe adds Amber Midthunder (Prey) as their spiritual leader Princess Yue, A Martinez (Cowboy Bebop) as veteran waterbender Pakku, Irene Bedard (The Stand) as healer Yagoda, Joel Oulette (Trickster) as warrior Hahn, Nathaniel Arcand (Heartland) as Princess Yue’s father Chief Arnook, and Meegwun Fairbrother (Burden of Truth) as Avatar Kuruk.

Over at the Earth Kingdom we’ve got Arden Cho (Partner Track) as bounty hunter June, Utkarsh Ambudkar (Ghosts) as the King Bumi, Danny Pudi (Mythic Quest) as the eccentric Mechanist, Lucian-River Chauhan (Encounter) as the Mechanist’s son Teo, and James Sie (Stillwater) as the fan-beloved Cabbage Merchant.

The antagonistic clan of the Fire Nation is represented by Momona Tamada (Secret Headquarters) as Azula’s best friend Ty Lee, Thalia Tran (Raya and the Last Dragon) as another one of Azula’s allies Mai, Ruy Iskandar (Yes Day) as Prince Zuko’s first officer Lt. Jee, Hiro Kanagawa (Altered Carbon) as former Fire Nation leader Lord Sozin, C.S. Lee (Dexter) as the former Fire Nation Avatar Roku, François Chau (The Expanse) as the Great Sage, and Ryan Mah (Snowpiercer) as Commander Zhao’s second-in-command Lt. Dang.

And finally joining the Spirit World are George Takei (Star Trek) as the voice of the ancient spirit Koh, and Randall Duk Kim (Kung Fu Panda) as the voice of Wan Shi Tong, an Owl who represents the Spirit of Knowlege. Other cast members previously announced include Tamlyn Tomita as Yukari, Casey Camp-Horinek as Gran Gran, Maria Zhang as Suki, and Yvonne Chapman as. Avatar Kyoshi.

A lot of really great casting there.  I may not know the names but many of the adult roles are familiar faces.  Also glad to see Trickster actor Joel Oulette moving on after that show's ignominious cancellation for bullshit reasons.

Edited by SpaceChampion

15 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Amber Midthunder, George Takai, and Danny Pudi and more added to the cast in the live action adaptation of ATLA

https://gizmodo.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-netflix-full-cast-1849586572

Midthunder is playing Princess Yue of the Northern Water Tribe.   Pudi plays the Mechanist.

A lot of really great casting there.  I may not know the names but many of the adult roles are familiar faces.  Also glad to see Trickster actor Joel Oulette moving on after that show's ignominious cancellation for bullshit reasons.

Nice, I wonder what the fact that these are now being announced means for the release date, it says on IMDB its been in post-production for quite some time.

#SixSeasonsAndAMovie !!!

A Community movie has been ordered at Peacock.

The feature-length followup will reunite stars Joel McHale, Danny Pudi, Alison Brie, Gillian Jacobs, Jim Rash and Ken Jeong. Original cast members Donald Glover, Yvette Nicole Brown and Chevy Chase are not attached. (In response to the news, Brown tweeted: “It’s happening! Congrats, #Community fans! You guys did this!”)

Series creator Dan Harmon is writing the film with former series scribe Andrew Guest (whose credits include fan-favorite episodes “Advanced Dungeons & Dragons” and “A Fistful of Paintballs”). They’ll executive-produce alongside McHale, Russ Krasnoff and Gary Foster. The movie is slated to be released in 2023.

Note Joel McHale accidently tagged Gillian Anderson instead of Gillian Jacobs.

Edited by SpaceChampion

A new Planet of the Apes trilogy is in the works, following the recent Caesar trilogy with Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes in 2024.

No plot details have been revealed as of yet, though the main cast has been announced featuring the return of Owen Teague (Black Mirror) as the ape Cornelius, and the addition of Freya Allen (The Witcher) and Peter Macon (Orville). Wes Ball, whose previous works include The Maze Runner trilogy, will direct the film. In the first-look poster image, Cornelius is seen riding on horseback along a waterfall. With a trained eagle by his side, he’s pictured overlooking an overgrown cityscape, giving us a glimpse of the scenes in store.

Presumably this trilogy will focus all three parts on Cornelius.

As speculated, it's likely Donald Glover and Yvette Nicole Brown will be joining the Community movie.  At least, Dan Harmon thinks so.

“I think that Donald is coming, based on word of mouth, but it’s just the deal isn’t official or wasn’t official. It would be difficult to really commit to doing this thing without Donald,” Harmon said. “So I believe he is coming back. I think if there’s names missing from a list, it’s because the names that are on the list, their deals are agreed upon enough that it’s OK to say they are on the list, and anybody that’s not on a list, it’s just not the case yet. So there is nothing official about anybody being out.”  

I really hope it is a Search for Troy type adventure, where they have to trace all the things Troy's got up to in the years since they last saw him.

Edited by SpaceChampion

If Yellowstone, GoT, and the LotR movies can have prequel series, they might as well give one to Walker, Texas Ranger to go along with its reboot.  Where's that "Hollywood has officially run out of ideas" thread when I need it.

ETA: Since I'm thinking about that thread, whatever happened to that Frasier reboot?

Edited by Teng Ai Hui