Upcoming TV/Movies: Rumours, Bargains and Lies

SpaceChampion

• 3 weeks later...

Viaplay UK commissions ‘reimagining of Rebus’

Sir Ian Rankin will partner Viaplay UK for a major reimagining of his iconic detective, Inspector John Rebus, drawn from the instantly recognisable universe of Rankin’s books.

Set in contemporary Edinburgh, the six-part series places Rebus at the heart of a compelling new story.

In the drama, Rebus is in his 30s, recently divorced and demoted to Detective Sergeant. He has a new colleague, Detective Constable Siobhan Clarke, and is struggling to deal with the changes in his personal and professional life. At the same time, Rebus’s daughter, Sammy, and ex-wife, Rhona, are enjoying an affluent existence with Rhona’s new partner – while Rebus’s brother Michael is finding out that in a society where the gaps between the `haves and have-nots’ keep widening, taking shortcuts to provide for your family is no longer a temptation, but a necessity.

HBO reveals Perry Mason return date

HBO took to Twitter today to inform fans that the series – starring Matthew Rhys as the titular private eye – has begun filming and that it will return to our screens in February 2023.

According to Collider, cast member Shea Wigham says that series is moving into 1933, and the end of prohibition.

(@Ran is this the right thread into which to post this bit of information? If not - 1: my apologies! 2: happy to move it elsewhere!)

Courtesy of MovieWeb, it seems that Cavill did indeed leave The Witcher series due to writer disagreements! After messaging my best friend back home about it (as he's got more of an ear-to-ground for anything Witcher related than me),  he explained that there's (apparently!) a culture war of sorts involving the Witcher series. As explained to me this morning, some incels hate the female showrunner, and racists dislike the show due to the presence of BIPOC actors. 

Can anyone else speak to this? 

Here's the reference: https://movieweb.com/henry-cavill-left-the-witcher-after-not-seeing-eye-to-eye-with-producers/

The report states that Cavill and the producers “weren’t seeing eye to eye” regarding Geralt and the direction of The Witcher — a franchise that Cavill is a big fan of. The report even claims that the actor was thinking about walking away at the end of season 2, though this simply resulted in a contract renegotiation for season 3.

Tokyo Vice, Season 2

https://deadline.com/2022/11/tokyo-vice-aoi-takeya-season-2-cast-1235169124/

.... Takeya is a Japanese American actor, who was born in Japan and raised in Los Angeles. While completing his degree in Business Marketing at San Diego State University, he took acting classes in LA before deciding to pursue it full time. He’s worked on numerous voiceover jobs and short films, most recently, he was the lead of the project Inheritance that premiered at Tribeca this year as part of Netflix, Tribeca Studios, and Gold House’s new Film Fellowship program.  ....

15 hours ago, IlyaP said:

(@Ran is this the right thread into which to post this bit of information? If not - 1: my apologies! 2: happy to move it elsewhere!)

Courtesy of MovieWeb, it seems that Cavill did indeed leave The Witcher series due to writer disagreements! After messaging my best friend back home about it (as he's got more of an ear-to-ground for anything Witcher related than me),  he explained that there's (apparently!) a culture war of sorts involving the Witcher series. As explained to me this morning, some incels hate the female showrunner, and racists dislike the show due to the presence of BIPOC actors. 

Can anyone else speak to this? 

Here's the reference: https://movieweb.com/henry-cavill-left-the-witcher-after-not-seeing-eye-to-eye-with-producers/

Fans ... dream ... in fanfiction head canon  . . . .

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 8:53 PM, Which Tyler said:

I keep coming back to watch these trailers because they are so godamn beautiful and I truly can't wait. I'm pleasantly surprised that they don't look to be cutting anything I thought they might

13 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I keep coming back to watch these trailers because they are so godamn beautiful and I truly can't wait. I'm pleasantly surprised that they don't look to be cutting anything I thought they might

I had missed seeing the trailer before, but I agree it looks good. It was always going to be a tricky book to adapt, but what we see there does make me hopeful. Also good to see James McAvoy back again after Covid meant the Asriel-centric episode was dropped from season 2.

‘Vikings: Valhalla’ Sets Season 2 Premiere January 12

https://deadline.com/2022/11/vikings-valhalla-season-2-premiere-date-first-look-photos-1235178788/

Admit to not being particularly impressed with the first season.

~~~~~~~~

Conservative media firm The Daily Wire has optioned exclusive film and TV series rights to develop and produce an adaptation of Arthurian legend novels The Pendragon Cycle.

https://deadline.com/2022/11/the-daily-wire-plans-most-ambitious-project-yet-with-arthurian-fantasy-series-the-pendragon-cycle-1235178832/

Those books were so awful -- unreadable.

Same company is doing Ayn Rand as well.

https://deadline.com/2022/11/daily-wire-tv-series-adaptation-ayn-rands-dystopian-novel-atlas-shrugged-1235175597/

Edited by Zorral

33 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Conservative media firm The Daily Wire has optioned exclusive film and TV series rights to develop and produce an adaptation of Arthurian legend novels The Pendragon Cycle.

https://deadline.com/2022/11/the-daily-wire-plans-most-ambitious-project-yet-with-arthurian-fantasy-series-the-pendragon-cycle-1235178832/

Those books were so awful -- unreadable.

Let's hope to god Bad Wolf's adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian Trilogy gets made and released (comfortably) first - I wouldn't want anyone making comparisons to that trash in advance.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Let's hope to god Bad Wolf's adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian Trilogy gets made and released (comfortably) first - I wouldn't want anyone making comparisons to that trash in advance.

I thought the same thing immediately encountering this story!

Edited by Zorral

On 11/21/2022 at 11:24 AM, Which Tyler said:

Gina's going to get paid, son!

According to the source quoted in the article, this thing will premiere roughly a year from now. So either they've already completed pre-production or this project will have to come together in record time. I expect production values to be top shelf. :D

Please tell me Donald trump and/or Steven Segal will get cameos in one or both of these productions. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

14 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Gina's going to get paid, son!

According to the source quoted in the article, this thing will premiere roughly a year from now. So either they've already completed pre-production or this project will have to come together in record time. I expect production values to be to shelf. :D

Please tell me Donald trump and/or Steven Segal will get cameos in one or both of these productions. 

I mean who else can unite the "Island of the Mighty" 

Cormoran Strike returns in Troubled Blood on BBC One

This year’s Christmas telly is starting to trickle through, and we have some crime drama in among all the festive hoopla.

One such series returning this holiday season is Strike, from the pen of Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling).

Series five – subtitled Troubled Blood – is a four-part series and sees Tom Burke return as Cormoran Strike and Holliday Grainger as Robin.

Strike: Troubled Blood: Sunday 11th and Monday 12th December, 9pm, BBC One

Vienna Blood: BBC Two confirms start date for season 3

Vienna Blood on BBC Two around Christmas time has become a bit of a tradition in recent years, and the Victorian-era detective drama is back for another run this festive season.

The third instalment, subtitled: Deadly Communion, starts in mid-December and comprises three episodes.

It features Max Liebermann (Matthew Beard), a medical student and protegé of Sigmund Freud, helps Detective Oskar Rheinhardt (Juergen Rheinhardt) in the investigation of a series of disturbing murders around 1900s Vienna.

Vienna Blood: Deadly Communion: Wednesday 14th December, 9pm, BBC Two

Arthurian legend re-imagined as casting is announced for The Winter King – coming to ITVX

No word on who's playing Lancelot, but Eddie Marson is Uther Pendragon. 

Can't fucking wait for this. I don't think I've ever been as excited about an adaptation of something I've read. Maybe Jackson's LOTR. 

I have faith in Bad Wolf. Though I really hope they don't mess with the source material. Everything they need is right there on the page.

Edited by Spockydog

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Arthurian legend re-imagined as casting is announced for The Winter King – coming to ITVX

No word on who's playing Lancelot, but Eddie Marson is Uther Pendragon. 

Can't fucking wait for this. I don't think I've ever been as excited about an adaptation of something I've read. Maybe Jackson's LOTR. 

I have faith in Bad Wolf. Though I really hope they don't mess with the source material. Everything they need is right there on the page.

Saw him in Vesper recently, an interesting sci-fi post-apocalyptic dystopia. Glad to see he's getting more roles.

Iain De Caestecker as Arthur?  They're casting shorter than I'd have imagined for Arthur and Uther.