Upcoming TV/Movies: Rumours, Bargains and Lies

SpaceChampion

First Look images and further casting announced for upcoming BBC/Paramount Plus Drama The Gold

The BBC has revealed first-look images for The Gold, its upcoming heist drama based on the true story of the infamous Brink’s Mat robbery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/the-gold-first-look-pictures

On the 26th November 1983, six armed men broke into the Brink’s-Mat security depot near London’s Heathrow Airport, and inadvertently stumbled across gold bullion worth £26m. What started as ‘a typical Old Kent Road armed robbery’ according to detectives at the time, became a seminal event in British criminal history, remarkable not only for the scale of the theft – at the time the biggest in global history – but for its wider legacy.

The disposal of the bullion caused the birth of large-scale international money laundering, provided the dirty money that helped fuel the London Docklands property boom, united blue and white collar criminals and left controversy and murder in its wake.

Inspired by extensive research and interviews with some of those involved in the events, The Gold is a pulsating dramatization which takes a journey into a 1980s world awash with cheap money and loosened morals to tell this extraordinary and epic story for the first time in its entirety.

The Gold stars Hugh Bonneville alongside Jack Lowden, Dominic Cooper, Charlotte Spencer, Tom Cullen, Emun Elliott, Sean Harris, Ellora Torchia and Stefanie Martini.

Is this riffing off FIFA, World Cup, the NFL and all the other Big Money and Corruption sports of the present?

https://deadline.com/2023/01/anthony-hopkins-joins-peacocks-gladiator-drama-series-those-about-to-die-1235225820/

.... The series, which is inspired by Daniel Mannix’s eponymous nonfiction book, is a large-scale drama set within the spectacular, complex and corrupt world of gladiatorial sports in Ancient Rome. It introduces an ensemble of diverse characters across the many layers of Roman society where sports, politics and business intersect and collide. ....

Stephen Colbert to Produce ‘Chronicles of Amber’ TV Series Adaptation
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/stephen-colbert-chronicles-of-amber-tv-series-adaptation-1235492097/

Stephen Colbert is joining the team that is adapting Roger Zelazny’s “The Chronicles of Amber” for television.

Colbert will now executive produce the potential series under his Spartina production banner. Spartina joins Skybound Entertainment and Vincent Newman Entertainment (VNE) on the series version of the beloved fantasy novels, with Skyboudn first announcing their intention to develop the series back in 2016. The books have been cited as an influence on “Game of Thrones,” with author George R.R. Martin recently stating he wanted to see the books brought to the screen.

“George R.R. Martin and I have similar dreams,” Colbert said. “I’ve carried the story of Corwin in my head for over 40 years, and I’m thrilled to partner with Skybound and Vincent Newman to bring these worlds to life. All roads lead to Amber, and I’m happy to be walking them.”

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Rebel Moon is Zack Snyder's movie, right? While I didn't care for most of his DC movies, hopefully RM's story pulls through to match the visuals.

Yes.  Though the story is another retelling of Seven Samurai.  Hopefully that's just a jumping off point and more is done with it.  It was originally conceived as a Star Wars movie, so hopefully Snyder leaned away from that to do more interesting worldbuilding than making it a Star Wars pastiche.   The release artwork and photos so far do look great, but the pastiche is clearly there.

One of the minor cast is a guy i know, says it's the best set he's ever been on, so there's that.

27 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It was a Star Wars pitch they rejected. You've seen the Star Wars movies they've put out, right? 

Yeah, an exhibition of stunning creativity and pitch-perfect decision making there. :rolleyes:

I don't know the timing exactly, but if I'm not mistaken he pitched it to Lucasfilm either just before, or just after the decision was made to sell to Disney. It's unlikely anyone was going to successfully pitch anything at that point. 

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Yes.  Though the story is another retelling of Seven Samurai. 

"Inspired-by" is more like it. Everything I'm hearing (2 films, maybe more, massive production) suggest there's considerably more there. 

ETA: God I hope there are lightsabers in it. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Rebel Moon looks like a B-movie. Maybe he's going back to his Dawn of the Dead roots. Is James Gunn involved on the script? If so, I'm intrigued and look forward to it.

Maybe escaping from the Disney Star Wars cage would help in worldbuilding and character development. But yeah, the action, sets et al looked average-y

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Rebel Moon looks like a B-movie. Maybe he's going back to his Dawn of the Dead roots. Is James Gunn involved on the script? If so, I'm intrigued and look forward to it.

TBF, DotD was a gun for hire project, much like MoS, which is why those two feel so different from his other films. 

Yes. Gunn for hire. 

Mwaha. 

I REGRET NOTHING! 

:D