Upcoming TV/Movies: Rumours, Bargains and Lies

SpaceChampion

‘Harry Potter’ TV Series On Max:

https://deadline.com/2023/04/harry-potter-tv-series-max-release-date-cast-1235323284/

At its Max streaming event, Warner Bros. Discovery confirmed a new era is coming for Harry Potter fans. The company announced a TV series based on all seven books about the boy wizard written by J.K. Rowling.

“This new Max Original series will dive deep into each of the iconic books that fans have continued to enjoy for all of these years,” said Casey Bloys, Chairman and CEO, HBO & Max Content about the project, which he also assured fans would be “a faithful adaptation.”

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Does this mean they're abandoning the Fantastic Beast movies? Since they were set in the old movie continuity and also sucked. 

I suspect so. Last year there was a report speculating on it, suggesting there were signs that it was dead.

Deadpool prodcer Dan Crevello will be showrunner for Paramount+'s Dungeons and Dragons streaming series.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/dungeons-and-dragons-series-paramount-plus-drew-crevello-showrunner-1235583780/

Interestingly, Hasbro apparently wants to sell off eOne, which is it's tv/movie arm that is co-producing it with Paramount Pictures.

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Deadpool prodcer Dan Crevello will be showrunner for Paramount+'s Dungeons and Dragons streaming series.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/dungeons-and-dragons-series-paramount-plus-drew-crevello-showrunner-1235583780/

Interestingly, Hasbro apparently wants to sell off eOne, which is its tv/movie arm that is co-producing it with Paramount Pictures.

If they sell off eOne and all the media-creating talent therein, through what company division/apparatus (I guess?) are they going to create the above D&D show? Getting rid of existing talent would then necessitate having a hiring drive for new people, no? 

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Holy crap. Wikipedia and Google are saying season 1 of Citadel has a budget of $300 million. 

That would mean it's the 2nd highest in terms of budget with Lord of the Rings show being 1st. Both shows from Amazon.

Bloody hell, Amazon spending some crazy money on flop shows. This new one will flop as well. I mean Richard Madden and Priyanka Chopra are main leads. Two of the most wooden actors I've seen. 

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

10 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

That would mean it's the 2nd highest in terms of budget with Lord of the Rings show being 1st. Both shows from Amazon.

Bloody hell, Amazon spending some crazy money on flop shows. This new one will flop as well. I mean Richard Madden and Priyanka Chopra are main leads. Two of the most wooden actors I've seen. 

Hey, come on now. They could certainly do much worse for lead actors and these two could have some genuine on-screen chemistry.

Having the Russo brothers attached was probably a big selling point as well. They definitely have a good track record for commercial success.

Apparently they fired the show runner over "creative differences" and had massive re-shoots, hence the budget. 

Only 6 episodes. Season 2 has already been greenlit. 

This was announced way back in 2020.

Today's the first thing about I've seen anyway, since then:

https://www.sakshipost.com/news/william-dalrymples-anarchy-be-adapted-series-181995

And no, I don't think the Mughal Empire was disintegrating -- it was made war upon by the East India Company.  I loathe the way things are phrased in nationalist hindi India. And yes, I have read Dalrymple's history.

A Galaxy Quest Series Is Once Again in Development

The greatest Star Trek movie that isn’t a Star Trek movie may be getting a series adaptation—and on the same streaming platform that airs Star Trek. Variety reports that a Galaxy Quest series is in early development at Paramount+, with Mark Johnson, who produced the original film, attached as executive producer.

James McAvoy Will Speak No Evil in a Film from Black Mirror Director James Watkins

Speak No Evil, a remake of the Danish film Gaesterne, which is also about a family vacation turned nightmare. James McAvoy is set to star in the film from James Watkins, director of The Woman in Black and the Black Mirror episode “Shut Up and Dance.”

The Hollywood Reporter says the film “centers on a family that takes a dream holiday to an idyllic country house, only to have the vacation turn into a psychological nightmare.” Blumhouse is producing the movie, which implies it will be quite creepy. Writing about the original Danish film, The New York Times said “Gliding inexorably from squirmy to sinister to full-on shocking, this icy satire of middle-class mores, confidently directed by Christian Tafdrup, is utterly fearless in its mission to unsettle.”

The story seems to involve something of an ensemble cast, but there’s no word yet on who will join McAvoy.

The Patients of Doctor Garcia, a Netflix series up on Friday. 

https://theeurotvplace.com/2023/04/the-patients-of-dr-garcia-netflix-sets-premiere-date-for-spanish-period-spy-thriller-series/

Praying this will be as good as it can be, and not that pos The Diplomat that makes terrorism and the horrors of contemporary political worlds cute.  Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...