Upcoming TV/Movies: Rumours, Bargains and Lies

SpaceChampion

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yikes.

Have to quibble with the guy bitching about originals not doing well. The fifth highest opening weekend for Pixar is Inside Out

I really respect Disney's recent line of new animated films. Soul I felt was more relatable for me, a 40ish guy whose career diverted and have struggled with happiness and inspiration than some 6 year old hoping for bubbly critters and catchy songs.

That Elemental looks like Coco, Inside Out, and Soul, all with very mature or complex themes with enough rainbow color and song to keep kids happy. It's too bad they aren't making Mickey enough because I find them far more compelling than the animated stuff that they were pumping out in my childhood (all of which are now those atrocious live action versions).

Edited by Argonath Diver

• 2 weeks later...

Do we really need a live-action How to Train Your Dragon? Universal just copying Disney's model.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/how-to-train-your-dragon-live-action-movie-cast-1235503485/

I will be shocked if live-action Toothless will match the cuteness of the animated one.

24 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Do we really need a live-action How to Train Your Dragon? Universal just copying Disney's model.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/how-to-train-your-dragon-live-action-movie-cast-1235503485/

I will be shocked if live-action Toothless will match the cuteness of the animated one.

Copying Disney’s model of “I can’t hear you over the sound of all this money, son!!!” Say what you will about Disney’s remakes, on balance they’ve been incredibly profitable. One or two of them even spawned a franchise. 

At least this story is fairly contemporary compared to the Disney stuff. It’s also not a musical, which might be more suitable for a live action adaptation.

This also has the advantage of being directed by the same guy who wrote/directed the original. My only concern is that his live-action directing credits are pretty thin. 

As long as Gerard Butler gets to play Stoic the Vast, I’m in.

11 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Rebecca Ferguson is in final talks to star in the adaptation of one of the standalone books of Joe Abercrombie's FIRST LAW series.

Huh, indeed. And starting with BSC. It would work. It's pretty much a stand alone and if successful, Hollywood loves prequels, and it won't affect much.

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

Huh, indeed. And starting with BSC. It would work. It's pretty much a stand alone and if successful, Hollywood loves prequels, and it won't affect much.

Caul Shivers would be interesting to introduce in BSC, and then if they go back, giving his story that way... 

Hilarious to see someone in the Deadline comments complaining about the unoriginality of Hollywood and how this is just a fantasy John Wick with a female lead, and someone had to point out the novel came out half a decade before the first Wick film... And of course, someone else noted that The Count of Monte Cristo is a great deal older than all of them.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

Caul Shivers would be interesting to introduce in BSC, and then if they go back, giving his story that way... 

Hilarious to see someone in the Deadline comments complaining about the unoriginality of Hollywood and how this is just a fantasy John Wick with a female lead, and someone had to point out the novel came out half a decade before the first Wick film... And of course, someone else noted that The Count of Monte Cristo is a great deal older than all of them.

Not to mention that, while Monza is a badass, the only character that can be considered at John Wick levels of death infliction is Logen, and he ain't in it. People complaining about Hollywood's originality can't come up with better comparisons from among the vast repertoire of action revenge tales. 

44 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I think starting with BSC should work fine, the plot is only vaguely related to the First Law books. I do worry a bit about trying to fit all the plot into a film, there's a lot to cover there.

This possible BSC adaption sounds great. Even better that it's a movie, we need more good movies and less long  long series. The same way Joe Abercrombie doesn't write doorstopper fantasy series a  simple movie seems a breath of fresh air. 

I don't really care about people looking like the person they are supposed to be playing, i'd rather the performance was amazing, but she looks absolutely fuck all like i imagine Monza.  

BSC is far too long to be a film though.  

I started with the Heroes, so no quibbles about them jumping in part of the way through. 

22 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

The only complaint I have is BSC is the weakest of Joe's books by far IMO.

GTFO.

I think the people she wants to revenge herself against will get cut down, or a couple of them will be dealt with very quickly and be more minor characters, maybe through a montage or something (Mauthis and  Gobba are obvious candidates). Orso obviously has to stay. Ganmark for the action. Ario for the House of Leisure caper. And Faithful Carpi maybe? Foscar you kind of need to twist the knife of the anti-heroness of it all, but maybe they think it's a step too far? But this is Tim Miller we're talking, so...

In the rumour category i guess:  John Carpenter thinks a sequel to The Thing might be.

“I have been sworn to secrecy, okay, because there may be, I don’t know if there will be, there may be a Thing 2,” he said.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Zack Snyder crawls up his own ass.

Zack Snyder revealed at the start of 2023 that his Netflix space epic “Rebel Moon” would be split into two movies. But Snyder is actually making four movies, sort of. In a Vanity Fair first look at “Rebel Moon,” Snyder announced that each “Rebel Moon” movie is getting two separate cuts. One cut is a movie that “anyone can enjoy and watch,” and one cut will be more explicit and strictly for adults.

“I think for fans of mine and people who are ready to take a deeper, harder dive, that’ll be fun for them,” Snyder said of the harder cuts.

“Rebel Moon” was written as one movie, but Netflix became hesitant after Snyder delivered a 172-page draft. At that length, “Rebel Moon” would’ve clocked around three hours.

On 6/5/2023 at 6:21 AM, Myrddin said:

I love this theory. Even though Bruckheimer denies it, I choose to believe it's just misdirection on his part to cover the truth.

Yeah but he’s the EP. It’s quite possible one of the screenwriters did a bit of research on bond films and dates/locations and used that to craft Masons story. It’s not that you have to prove he is Bond just the dates need to not conflict with the Bond movies Connery was in.